RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

NZRB Publicly Admit They Haven't Got A Clue What's Going On

Correct me if I am wrong. Did Hong Kong not bring in similar legislation a few years back? No one has ever been charged, no NZ TAB accounts closed.

Primarily, a horrendous error by NZRB underestimating the threat of the legislation - heads must roll over this. 

But also why was the knee-jerk reaction to immediately close the accounts? Surely it is not our job to police Australian law?

9 hours ago, berzerk said:

Correct me if I am wrong. Did Hong Kong not bring in similar legislation a few years back? No one has ever been charged, no NZ TAB accounts closed.

Primarily, a horrendous error by NZRB underestimating the threat of the legislation - heads must roll over this. 

But also why was the knee-jerk reaction to immediately close the accounts? Surely it is not our job to police Australian law?

They didn't close accounts from my translation from the letter (refer below). 

They advised their customers that they were no longer able to use the accounts from Australia and for those that wanted refunds of their account balance to contact them. Unless the customer requests closure then I gather they will still be open however after a long period of inactivity I presume they will be closed then as would happen with all customers. Those customers able to circumvent the Australian legislation, or abroad in another country including visiting NZ may still want to use their accounts.      

The Australian Interactive Gambling Amendment Act (the IGA) has recently been passed. The effect of the IGA is that international wagering providers (such as the NZRB) will be prohibited from providing gambling services (including racing and sport betting) to persons present in Australia, unless the relevant international wagering operator holds a licence under the law of an Australian Territory.

The effect of this is that, from 13 September 2017, TAB New Zealand is no longer able to offer wagering services to any person who is physically located within Australia. From this date onwards, it will not be possible to access the TAB Website, Mobile App or Phone betting channels from Australia.

Our records show that the address registered against your TAB Betting Account is located within Australia. If this information is correct and you are located within Australia, TAB New Zealand will no longer be able to offer its wagering services to you.

If the address information registered against your TAB Betting Account is incorrect and you are not located within Australia, or if you are located in Australia (but on a temporary basis only), please contact our Customer Service team by email at helpdesk@tab.co.nz to update your details.

If you are permanently located in Australia, and there are funds held in your TAB Betting Account which you will no longer be able to use, we can return these funds to you in full by cheque. Please get in touch with our Customer Service team by email at helpdesk@tab.co.nz if you'd like to arrange the return of your funds.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

In HK, I'm pretty sure that  it's illegal to bet with any outside Agency. You go to jail if you do. 

No you only go to jail if they catch you. There are workarounds available to enable someone to bet outside their jurisdiction without looking like they are doing so.

35 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

The NZRB through their body called the Totalisator Agency Board are taking betting on a three year olds hurdle race from Market Rasen, but, get this, they are not taking betting on Le Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe.

Pretty much sums up - the brains trust - you have to wonder

1 hour ago, Tauhei Notts said:

The NZRB through their body called the Totalisator Agency Board are taking betting on a three year olds hurdle race from Market Rasen, but, get this, they are not taking betting on Le Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe.

They are taking fixed odds win bets. It's under fixed odds other.