RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
premixer

Cox Plate Day

Just curious, does anyone know if any NZ racing clubs gives you reciprocal rights at Moonee Valley?

On a bit of whim I am considering going over for the Cox Plate to see the wonder mare try and snag another plate, however seem to have left my run a bit late to get grandstand tickets unless I am a member.      The other option seems to be the new 'Valley Precinct' or a couple of hospitality area options, however there's no maps showing where this is, so would hate to spend the money, get over there and find out its miles away and have to watch the races on the big screen.

Or those who have been before, is general admission still a good option?

It really depends on what type of experience you're looking for.

Personally I think General Admission is fine & $55 is good value for money. 

The lawn out front of the grandstand is an option but it's absolutely chockers and it's an absolute mission to get in and out from the bookies ring (would take a good 15 minutes because it's so packed).

I usually hang out around the parade ring where you get a great view of the horses and you can check out the horses in stabling area as well.

There's also a secret bar near the stabling area where it's easy to get a beer, a feed and put a bet on (TAB machine) without having to queue up. B)

Doesn't really matter it's all about the atmosphere. I'd get some sort of package if still available .One doesn't want to be sniffing round with all the unwashed.

Went when Octagonal won. Seat on finish line ,booze and food. Great day. Ticket through Ticketek but things quite likely changed since then.

Great place to watch racing.

6 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Doesn't really matter it's all about the atmosphere. I'd get some sort of package if still available .One doesn't want to be sniffing round with all the unwashed.

Went when Octagonal won. Seat on finish line ,booze and food. Great day. Ticket through Ticketek but things quite likely changed since then.

Great place to watch racing.

That would've been a good one to go Memphis.

I think Our Maizcay was favourite and led til about the 600m when they put the pressure on him and he capitulated to finish last after taking all before him in the Spring.

Will be interesting to see if she can equal The King's record.

Without a doubt the best horse I've ever seen that's for sure.

I'm thinking of going this year. I've been to many of the options, but really, I enjoyed the public area in front of the Stands as much as the private Suites I've had upstairs. I don't drink when in the public areas so that saves a hassle and I get in position, bets on, 2 races before the Cox. Its a Zoo and a hoot out the front - all action, music , races etc. Awesome!  

Never been to a Melbourne Cup... it was always a Cox Plate that I wanted to go to. Went in 2003 when Savabeel won and just paid the A$50 (at the time) the General Admission fee. After the running of the previous race I had a bet and then immediately went down to the front of the track and didnt move. Didnt see much of the whole race as such because went they go out the home straight the first time and head down the side and the back theyre basically so far away you cant see them (unless you have binoculars).. but all good in the home straight. It was all about the noise and atmosphere. You gotta go....

Do you think she could have run down Vo Rogue? Do you think she could have won a Newmarket first up, then run a sub 2mins and win the Australian Cup? Do you think she could have beaten Sunline? I think she is a mighty mare but putting everything into context, there are things missing from her CV that preclude her from that #1 spot? Makybe Diva, SYT, Sunline & Black Caviar are still out in front IMHO.

2 hours ago, La Zip said:

Do you think she could have run down Vo Rogue? Do you think she could have won a Newmarket first up, then run a sub 2mins and win the Australian Cup? Do you think she could have beaten Sunline? I think she is a mighty mare but putting everything into context, there are things missing from her CV that preclude her from that #1 spot? Makybe Diva, SYT, Sunline & Black Caviar are still out in front IMHO.

Never saw The Diva race in the flesh, was on course to see SYT win his second Cox Plate, saw Sunline win multiple times (I remember being at Ellersile one day when she won with a crazy weight effortlessly), I was on course to see Lonhro win his Mackinnon, saw Might & Power on course one day at Warwick Farm and was on course to see Black Caviar in around 20 of her 25 wins.

I reckon Winx's versatility sets her apart from the rest. She can win fresh up over a distance short of her best and maintain that form throughout a preparation.

Sunline at the same stage of her career had already peaked leading into her third Cox Plate whereas Winx looks as if she's still got a fair bit left in the tank and is still on the upward spiral.

A lot of people thought she got all favours in her first Cox Plate when she got the run of the race but the way she put Hartnell and co to the sword at the 800m last year and maintained that strong gallop to line in my opinion cemented her status as the greatest I've ever seen. It was a phenomenal performance and had to be seen to be believed! B)

2 hours ago, CT said:

Sunline at the same stage of her career had already peaked leading into her third Cox Plate whereas Winx looks as if she's still got a fair bit left in the tank and is still on the upward spiral.

I agree, although it's hard to know because Sunline was racing Northerly, Lonhro and other great horses, and as much as I love Winx she's racing a very different class of horse, so it's hard to compare because even if she loses a few lengths they are still going to find it hard to beat her. Sunline would be awfully hard to beat if this was the field when she was going for her 3rd CP.

1 hour ago, mckenzie said:

I agree, although it's hard to know because Sunline was racing Northerly, Lonhro and other great horses, and as much as I love Winx she's racing a very different class of horse, so it's hard to compare because even if she loses a few lengths they are still going to find it hard to beat her. Sunline would be awfully hard to beat if this was the field when she was going for her 3rd CP.

Absolutely. Always difficult to compare horses of different eras mckenzie but Hartnell is no slug and he towelled up Jameka in the Turnbull Stakes last year then Jameka went on to smash a quality field at her next start winning the Caulfield Cup then franked her form again winning the BMW in the Autumn this year. Hartnell also went on to finish a very credible 3rd in the Melbourne Cup so there is an international form line you can draw through there.

She also beat quality international performer Highland Reel who won the Group 1 Secretriant in the States before being thrashed by in her first Cox Plate then he won the Group 1 Hong Kong Vase at his very next start beating a top international field.