RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Great idea for Xmas races

Been to a couple of events where they use them. They certainly make things quicker in terms of purchasing but I found there were quite long lines to put money on and take money off at the start of and end of the events. 

Some wowser will  surely soon complain about how this is really bad as it makes it easier to buy alcohol and alcohol is the cause of so many problems.

And the article says: Most of the racegoers at Christmas at the Races are under 40 and a lot of them don't carry cash, Bellew said.

What sort of person goes to the races without any cash?  It would be like going fishing without taking any hooks.

I'm all for trying new things and innovation but surely a club would want racegoers to carry cash in order to bet at the tote, otherwise is this another way of pushing betting to go through mobile phones (and clubs not gaining the percentage of turnover) or for the non typical racegoers making it harder to have a bet or start betting.

Fine line here which may work in terms of the hospitality side, but not the betting/turnover/getting people keen on betting side.

11 minutes ago, BruceL said:

I'm all for trying new things and innovation but surely a club would want racegoers to carry cash in order to bet at the tote, otherwise is this another way of pushing betting to go through mobile phones (and clubs not gaining the percentage of turnover) or for the non typical racegoers making it harder to have a bet or start betting.

Fine line here which may work in terms of the hospitality side, but not the betting/turnover/getting people keen on betting side.

Agree Bruce. Sounds good in theory but in reality ? Just making it more difficult not easier. You can see lines of frustrated people trying to get money on or off....all you need then is a power cut or equipment malfunction and it all turns to custard.

38 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Agree Bruce. Sounds good in theory but in reality ? Just making it more difficult not easier. You can see lines of frustrated people trying to get money on or off....all you need then is a power cut or equipment malfunction and it all turns to custard.

Yeah I was more looking at it as a means to making it more difficult for the racegoers to bet, but are these kind of issues to think about also.

Do the Invercargill races get such big crowds that queuing up and lines are a major problem?, what about setting up more portable bars?, having eftpos only line facilities at the bars?, cash only bars?,  those kind of simple initiatives.

Not putting down the idea and love clubs at least thinking outside the square, but trying to think is it really necessary,

22 minutes ago, richie said:

Lets face it.Clubs make their money off food and alcohol now.Not much to be made from tote.

Fair point , especially with the amount of people betting on their phones when on-track 

Great idea. Bellew is no fool when it comes to being innovative. His big screen at Ascot last year when they had their big meeting moved due to track renovations was a huge success. Two big crowds watching the same race meeting! Brilliant. 

I reckon people will actually attend this event solely to experience the wristband idea. Riccarton on Cup Day will follow suit on this one. Id say the likes of Ellerslie wont need to ever bother though. 

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Oh come on fellas, think outside the square.

"while you are here getting your food and drink sorted on this bracelet, would you like some cash out for betting?"

I actually think it frees up more money for betting on course.

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the bracelet? Why not just offer a cash out facility on course?

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Oh come on fellas, think outside the square.

"while you are here getting your food and drink sorted on this bracelet, would you like some cash out for betting?"

I actually think it frees up more money for betting on course.

This appears to be for buying food and drink only Barry. Just how these things reduce waiting lines though beats me. 

To me it seems as though they are just spending club money pandering to a group of people who will most likely not grace a racetrack until the next Xmas at the races. Bugger the regulars.As for food and drink at the Invercargill meeting it is well overpriced and very sub standard due to the ILT having sole rights for drinks  and catering therefore they can charge what they like which they do!!

33 minutes ago, MalcolmH said:

To me it seems as though they are just spending club money pandering to a group of people who will most likely not grace a racetrack until the next Xmas at the races. Bugger the regulars.As for food and drink at the Invercargill meeting it is well overpriced and very sub standard due to the ILT having sole rights for drinks  and catering therefore they can charge what they like which they do!!

What regulars? 

1 hour ago, tonkatime said:

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of the bracelet? Why not just offer a cash out facility on course?

Not at all, perhaps its been too long ago for you to have any connection to anyone in their 20's. 

They don't want to carry around cash on course buying drinks etc & neither do I, this certainly beats pissing around using CC's or eftpos.

22 hours ago, hesi said:

They don't need cash, all their food and drink purchases should be able to be done through eftpos, and their bets put on via the TAB app on their mobile phone

Sorry Hesi, but the last bit you have very wrong. 95% of the  group this is aimed at wont have a TAB app or an account and whats more wont want one. A decent portion will be young females who will have only made a bet on a horse race in either of 2 circumstances 

1) First Tues in Nov, because their work colleagues have done so.

2) At this same meeting last year when half pissed.

5-10% of the young lads will have a TAB account so they can bet on the few sports where they have knowitall knowledge in.

This is how it works according to the article:

"People wanting to attend Christmas at the Races have to buy an admission or raceday package online at Gallop South's website - www.gallopsouth.co.nz. - and then they will be sent the wristbands with operating details.

The wristband can be purchased online, pre-loaded with money, or topped up with Eftpos cards at booths and kiosks on course.

Wristbands will be sighted when racegoers enter the course and scanned each time they buy food and alcohol."

Which begs the question what about people who decide to attend only the day before or on the day itself. No time to be sent and receive the wristbands. 

How will it speed up being served by 60%? You still have to order and wait for the drinks to be served and payment in cash would only be minimal part of the process.  

So if you want a drink and the band needs topping up then you have to wait in a queue for a top up before you can go to the bar to queue up again? Real efficient. 

Can cash be refused as it is legal tender?

I can see it may suit some people but to make it compulsory certainly won't suit others. 

And I have seen a number of wristbands that do fall off during a day at races so a danger there.   

40 minutes ago, barryb said:

Not at all, perhaps its been too long ago for you to have any connection to anyone in their 20's. 

They don't want to carry around cash on course buying drinks etc & neither do I, this certainly beats pissing around using CC's or eftpos.

Haha I'm in my early thirties mate. 

42 minutes ago, barryb said:

I agree re the cash but having used the technology at events it's not a lot faster than contact less eftpos and I did find it a bit of a hassle topping up and removing credit at the end of the night. A simple solution is to allow people to top up prior to the event online and remove credit online after the event (the latter I believe you are able to do). Another hassle was keeping track of your balance as the day rolls on. 

8 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I agree re the cash but having used the technology at events it's not a lot faster than contact less eftpos and I did find it a bit of a hassle topping up and removing credit at the end of the night. A simple solution is to allow people to top up prior to the event online and remove credit online after the event (the latter I believe you are able to do). Another hassle was keeping track of your balance as the day rolls on. 

Give them a chance mate, its a new idea.

Trial and error will find out what works and what doesn't.

7 hours ago, hesi said:

Just reading back, is this not a move forced on them by the Police, to limit and control the amount of alcohol sold, after alcohol consumption issues in previous years...............not that I'm against that, having been on several Massey pub crawls:)

Cleaners from Massey were allowed on student pub crawls?. :)

9 hours ago, barryb said:

Give them a chance mate, its a new idea.

Trial and error will find out what works and what doesn't.

Its not a new idea Barry its a new idea when it comes to racing where ideas aren't really encouraged. Tonkatime is suggesting how things can be improved.

18 hours ago, hesi said:

Just reading back, is this not a move forced on them by the Police, to limit and control the amount of alcohol sold, after alcohol consumption issues in previous years...............not that I'm against that, having been on several Massey pub crawls:)

That would explain a lot Hesi.....;)