RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

Winx

I was playing golf today with a few mates and managed to win a bottle  of Johnny W 12 yo, so very pleased. Interestingly, at after game drinks, one of my mates, a definite non- race goer, mentioned that he had been in Sudney for the weekend and was taken to the races into lunch etc etc etc. When Winx came into the parade ring he went down and had his first look at The Wonder Girl, Winx, he was amazed at how smaller she looked compared to the males, but decided that he should not bet against her, so put his money (probably $50 - but I didn't query :) ) on Red Excitement for a place bet. Sitting next to his learned host, an avid race goer, he heard his host say at the turn into the straight, " Fuck me, I've bought you here on the day Winx is going to be beaten! She can't win!!" My mate said that the roar of the crowd sent a shiver up his spine. " It was an amazing experience to be there and witness a champion". My only response was, " Mate, in the last 20 years, the best horses in Australasia have been female. Winx, Black Caviar, Sunline and Makybe Diva". His response as a non-race goer, never bets, knows nothing about racing was ?  "I remember all of them". Which just goes to show you, the champs will bring the crowds - if they are "MARKETED !!".

I liked the story and there is some truth in what you say Trumpy - but if we did produce one, s/he would be whisked away to race in Oz or further afield - even if its owners didn't sell ...  so the crowds would just be waving and yelling at their TVs ... (except for a few well-heeled ones who would fly across teh Tasman to watch live...)

9 hours ago, hesi said:

We don't have champs or good horses anymore in NZ, to market.

Winx can't keep up these gut busting performances, probably more than a few will lay her next start in the comp

You joining the tall poppy brigade Hesi.....??!  Champions can do special things, she did this on her ear....no whip either......:rolleyes:

HAS THE TALL POPPY SYNDROME KICKED IN WITH WINX?

After the Chelmsford Stakes win on Saturday made it 19-straight for Winx I’m just starting to wonder whether the famous Australian tall-poppy syndrome has started to kick in with the champion mare.

I was watching with a mate who didn’t even have a bet in the race and he was out of his chair cheering for Red Excitement over the last 200m. I couldn’t believe it, why?

"I don’t really know but I just wanted to see her get beat,” was the reply.

There has also been some negative feedback by a few Racenet regulars and also via other online forums, which I just can’t believe.

She’s a champion and she hasn’t been beaten for over two years. She beats whatever gets thrown at her, be them superstars or slugs. Isn’t that all she can do?

Red Excitement did a fantastic job on Saturday, courtesy of a brilliant front-running ride by Josh Parr but Winx was still able to get home in splits of 10.98, 11.08 and 10.80 for an overall last 600m of 33.10. I ask you again more can she do?

And don’t forget Hughie Bowman dropped his whip at the 200m, not that he ever really needs it on the great mare.

She had critics early in the Sydney phase of her campaign last spring when she was getting a bit sideways in her action....I was one....we were wrong as she kept improving as she entered the Melbourne phase.

This year she looks much better than last year....God only knows how good she'll be come Cox Plate day this year if she keeps improving.

35 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

You joining the tall poppy brigade Hesi.....??!  Champions can do special things, she did this on her ear....no whip either......:rolleyes:

HAS THE TALL POPPY SYNDROME KICKED IN WITH WINX?

After the Chelmsford Stakes win on Saturday made it 19-straight for Winx I’m just starting to wonder whether the famous Australian tall-poppy syndrome has started to kick in with the champion mare.

I was watching with a mate who didn’t even have a bet in the race and he was out of his chair cheering for Red Excitement over the last 200m. I couldn’t believe it, why?

"I don’t really know but I just wanted to see her get beat,” was the reply.

There has also been some negative feedback by a few Racenet regulars and also via other online forums, which I just can’t believe.

She’s a champion and she hasn’t been beaten for over two years. She beats whatever gets thrown at her, be them superstars or slugs. Isn’t that all she can do?

Red Excitement did a fantastic job on Saturday, courtesy of a brilliant front-running ride by Josh Parr but Winx was still able to get home in splits of 10.98, 11.08 and 10.80 for an overall last 600m of 33.10. I ask you again more can she do?

And don’t forget Hughie Bowman dropped his whip at the 200m, not that he ever really needs it on the great mare.

Human nature Ohokaman.  Look at the reaction of those Aussie Rugby Commentators when they thought the AB's were going to get beat two weeks ago.

I agree with Hesi though - she cannot keep busting her guts like that no matter how good she is.  Had that been Moonee Valley last Saturday it would have been interesting.

Still she is deadset wonderful for racing - like BC was - and that is priceless.

Been reading Peter Moody's book and he mentioned the demise of the gelding as a dominant force in racing due to the restrictions on what they can be treated with.  Interesting reading but borne out with the dominance of Winx and BC in the last ten years.

Moody's book also had some interesting titbits about our leader Bernard's role at Racing Victoria as well.  Better not get on the wrong side of him from the sounds of things.