RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

monte racing

I"ve seen enough montes to last a lifetime. Just because something happens in Europe we dont have to follow.Sorry to the enthusiasts but it is not very interesting. it looks stupid and Ihope it is not viewed as even being a novelty to attract crowds back.Whats the point? You can see the thin edge of the wedge here with the few wanting only non tote races.!!!! Well I will be really upset when a tote race is held as surely it will despite any talk to the contrary.Then the true trotters/pacers will have even fewer races to make a dollar. The smaller trainers and drivers in this Industry struggle now to make a living or a fair return on their investment (as do many/most owners)To further reduce opportunities with this crazy sideshow is nonsense.  We already have amateur races which were def.going to be non totes ? so as not to limit earnings of professional drivers. We have novelty dual sulky races to satisfy the egos of some sponsors(which is albeit necessary) and we do have the very interesting kids carts races which are a spectacle and get a good cheer from the crowd. But Montes ..................aaaaargh:angry:

Don't know where the name "Monte" comes from but in the fifties and early sixties in Southland they were known as "Saddle Trots" even though they were for pacers and were very popular in that area. Cardigan Bay early in his career was second to Flag Four trained by Ces Donald in a saddle trot and I am almost sure the late great Maurice Holmes won his first race in a saddle trot at Addington probably in the nineteen thirties.

If it creates more interest I guess they could be a good thing but personally I don't like them.  I just find horse racing with a rider on top less exciting than harness racing

main point I am making which is lost on many is novelty racing does not help the professionalism of the sport. When it gets to be a replacement for normal racing then it is a major mistake. Look at the drivers column for 2016/7 as an example. Take out top 12 drivers and the other few hundred were lucky to put together earnings before costs of 30000.00 pa. Even very good drivers on the list would do better on minimum wage,!! I know most if not all have to work elsewhere to survive so why risk a reduction in their opportunities...Old gallopers still can trot so let ellerslie/riccarton get "excited" about monte/saddle trots.they have old jockeys in abundance.

5 hours ago, john legend said:

main point I am making which is lost on many is novelty racing does not help the professionalism of the sport. When it gets to be a replacement for normal racing then it is a major mistake. Look at the drivers column for 2016/7 as an example. Take out top 12 drivers and the other few hundred were lucky to put together earnings before costs of 30000.00 pa. Even very good drivers on the list would do better on minimum wage,!! I know most if not all have to work elsewhere to survive so why risk a reduction in their opportunities...Old gallopers still can trot so let ellerslie/riccarton get "excited" about monte/saddle trots.they have old jockeys in abundance.

Agree with you John. 

They are o.k as a novelty but should not replace our normal  harness races.

It's an acorn & oak tree situation.      I don't think anyone is seriously thinking of running tote races - well not in the near future but I really can't see what objection anyone can have for running them at workouts or as a non tote.    As Jay has mentioned a couple of these trotters won a monte then the following week won a tote trot so it would appear the change freshened up the minds of these horses - as is said a change is as good as a rest.      

I could not disagree more with this poster. Montes are not only not a novelty, they are a genuine alternative option for trotting horses and a new pathway to a different particularly female market, which is where they are immensely popular in both Sweden and France (giving the many stablehands, who have little chance of making it in the male dominated driving ranks, a chance of competing regularly). I love them, and I hope they catch on here as they will bring in a brand new stream of participants, riders, with little of the expense of the thoroughbred code. You need a bit of vision in this game and this is something that is fast catching on in the rest of the world.

On 8/22/2017 at 4:39 PM, eljay said:

It's an acorn & oak tree situation.      I don't think anyone is seriously thinking of running tote races - well not in the near future but I really can't see what objection anyone can have for running them at workouts or as a non tote.    As Jay has mentioned a couple of these trotters won a monte then the following week won a tote trot so it would appear the change freshened up the minds of these horses - as is said a change is as good as a rest.      

I repeat!!