RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Mongolia Horse Political Donation

I query the rationale of Mongolia Horse Club donating $100,000 to National.

In many countries strict rules exist about foreign donations to political parties e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/oct/21/partyfunding-georgeosborne

Secondly when it comes to racing I query the choice of National as opposed to NZ First and Winston Peters

Looks to me its a case of donating to the party most likely to win in order to obtain favourable terms on investment in rural land and export terms. Could be some other reason all together.

The $100,000 would have been better invested directly into local racing.

5 hours ago, slam dunk said:

I query the rationale of Mongolia Horse Club donating $100,000 to National.

In many countries strict rules exist about foreign donations to political parties e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/oct/21/partyfunding-georgeosborne

Secondly when it comes to racing I query the choice of National as opposed to NZ First and Winston Peters

Looks to me its a case of donating to the party most likely to win in order to obtain favourable terms on investment in rural land and export terms. Could be some other reason all together.

The $100,000 would have been better invested directly into local racing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they were trying to buy rural land that would have to go through the overseas investment office would it not?

19 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Its their money for them to do as they choose I would have thought.

Rather a strange response. This idea that you and a few others have that being an owner of an asset entitles one to do whatever one likes is absurd.

With TPP being fostered on us by outside influences at a time when political parties need financing its all a trend to making the individuals vote meaningless

There are good reasons for preventing foreign funding or influence on elections. Or is New Zealand to become like USA totally controlled by supporters of say Israel with health care and education sacrificed so another country can benefit with in Israels case arms etc.

Tontime,  There may be restrictions on overseas buy ups but surely making political donations is an indirect way of changing the rules. 

Now Winston Peters gets unfair publicity from so called Chinese supporters trying to portray his ideas as racist. Perhaps Mongolia Horse Club has fallen victim to that thought and don't want him having balance of power. Who knows? There are numerous issues like who benefits from immigration, and who doesn't benefit. Is it good policy to have say Chinese buy up assets then import overseas workers bypassing the local economy.

I know NZ racing relies on overseas investment especially Chinese but its the management of these entities that needs monitoring.

"Revealed: China's network of influence in New Zealand"

Back more than fifty years ago I lived next door to Rewi Alley's family.  He was ostracized in NZ for being a supporter of China. That was hugely unfair.
Nowadays its turned a full circle. Nothing wrong with China's innovation and export of products far cheaper than NZ could produce. However there are greedies who will sell NZ's natural resources for quick profit. There has got to be a balance. Judith Collins and her ilk do nothing for NZ.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:37 PM, slam dunk said:

Rather a strange response. This idea that you and a few others have that being an owner of an asset entitles one to do whatever one likes is absurd.

My God is that second sentence not symptomatic of everything that is so very very very wrong in this country today?

So you want the state to control even more than it does now do you?(and that is far too bloody much)

Dear oh dear - maybe you could apply for Moncur's vacancy - he loved to make sure everything the clubs did was regulated by big brother.  Not so keen to come down and scrub birdshit off the grandstand but he knew exactly how the joint should be run.  

Or maybe you could move to North Korea - they seem to run things that way.