RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Kotare_Hunter

Marc Cookson

Last year it was held on the 7th August. In 1973, it was held on the 8th September.

Cheers.

Robert.

6 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

Just for good measure we are being told the Kurow Cup is a wee bit earlier this year LOL

The first I saw was in the late 70's when Koobecar's mum won it and I am pretty sure this years is the latest since then.

9 hours ago, lonestar said:

I always thought Kurow was the start of the new season back in the days when the last meetings were in May/June. 

Yes it was Lonestar, and going back a few years from time to time it included horses very close to Cup class. That was in the days when cup horses started racing at the National meeting in mid August.

The earlier finish of the previous season made for plenty of new season options (C8-OC) for those looking to qualify and those mapping out a path to the NZ Cup.

Kurow Cup when it was C8 and faster.

Louisson Handicap

National Handicap

A E Laing FFA

Air NZ FFA     

September FFA    

O Hutchison FFA

Ashburton Flying Stakes

Quadroon Invitation

Wilson Neill FFA    

Flying Lord Invitational    

Big Softie Invitational      

Hannon Memorial

Kaikoura Cup

On 18/08/2017 at 10:09 PM, Kotare_Hunter said:

Just for good measure we are being told the Kurow Cup is a wee bit earlier this year LOL

The first I saw was in the late 70's when Koobecar's mum won it and I am pretty sure this years is the latest since then.

Race Book is granddam to Pipes Of Pan (photo in classified section) and maternal decendent of USA open class mare Jerseylicious (2yo Sweetheart winner 2012) .Also dam Felis won the Cheviot Cup in 1960.

4 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Tom Cavill trained Race Book. Tom also had a very good trotter in Frontier ( Battleground/Daybreak). Doody drove most of Cavill's horses.

Arrg the memories!

I think Frontier won the 1st race on Cup Day possibly 1973, the two mile trot. I was in Wellington and listened on the radio in those days. I think it paid around $19 and I had 1/1 each way  Being young and not legally able to bet thought I was a millionaire  A big bold trotter who liked to bowl along in front. 

harewood Frontier won the first race on the second day of the 1973 Cup meeting on Friday November 9. Driven by D.L. McGreagor he paid $19.60 and $7.85. Snoopy and Doody Townley ran second and Great Applause and Maurice Holmes ran third. The distance was 2600m.

15 hours ago, gubellini said:

harewood Frontier won the first race on the second day of the 1973 Cup meeting on Friday November 9. Driven by D.L. McGreagor he paid $19.60 and $7.85. Snoopy and Doody Townley ran second and Great Applause and Maurice Holmes ran third. The distance was 2600m.

Thanks for that. Got the year and price right at least. Was a loooong time ago. Surprised myself I even remembered what I did. :blink:

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:11 PM, Overcheck said:

Yes it was Lonestar, and going back a few years from time to time it included horses very close to Cup class. That was in the days when cup horses started racing at the National meeting in mid August.

Did Trevor Casey race Lonestar?