RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Club membership

As the new season rolls out of habit I renew my racing club membership.  When renewing it this year I thought what do I really get for this, that I just can't get on the day as a general admission?

Applying and carrying the racing club membership badge even annoys me and it is often left behind.

I ask this, what would you like to see as a member with your membership?

Shane 

I have only ever been a member of the Cambridge JC for obvious reasons, but this week I have become a member of the Waikato RC.

I was taken up to the new Members facilities recently, and was quite taken with the area, and what it offers.

Only one thing that annoyed me, the man that made the wheels turn and was the major push in the upgrades of the facilities on this floor, and the one above that opens in September, has resigned from the board on a matter of principal.

Peter Archer, sorry to see you go, and I hope it all comes out in the wash!

You know I

Just now, shaneMcAlister said:

As the new season rolls out of habit I renew my racing club membership.  When renewing it this year I thought what do I really get for this, that I just can't get on the day as a general admission?

Applying and carrying the racing club membership badge even annoys me and it is often left behind.

I ask this, what would you like to see as a member with your membership?

Shane 

You know,  after 30 years I've been  wondering the same thing.    Admittance to member's stand is open to everyone, about the only thing you get is a free race book.  There used to be a free luncheon every 3 years or so  or being invited to President's room for one drink  once maybe  every 5 years . Once upon a time they had member's draws  where they would put money on a horse you chose. Didn't have to be a lot.  just to provide a bit of added interest , or the member's free punting competition they ran for an  end of the year prize.  Now there is zilch. .  I'd put up with all that but sometimes you learn things on here going on  before we are ever told.  Contact the club by e - mail to ask about  things and never once has there been a reply.  Sure there is a AGM but often things are a fait accompli having already been decided at committee meetings without consultation.  The only thing that keeps me going is blind loyalty.

I'll put in a plug for the Canterbury Jockey Club then.

Membership gives 3 members badges for all days and free admission. The value of that across Cup Week and GN Week puts me well ahead on the subscription.

Plus few bars and rooms which are Members only including some really good ones. Plus members comps and discounts etc.

I think they do a good job

2 hours ago, porky said:

nice to hear a positive comment for a change Col...and big ups to Canterbury.

If the ship is to be repaired, and crowds returned to race courses...

sounds like other clubs should take a leaf out of their book.

Not all club's have the advantage of a couple of premier meetings which make membership worthwhile like this. Some clubs have free admission at all meetings.

4 minutes ago, turny said:

Yes CJC have it really worked out - do a grand job - the current challenge is to get more on course outside of the carnivals but in this area they are silent - very silent

Very good point. For a club that manages to get thousands of people along to a couple of big days they are terrible at getting those people to return more often.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Very good point. For a club that manages to get thousands of people along to a couple of big days they are terrible at getting those people to return more often.

Any ideas then or are you just going to have a crack at a club  which does as good as any ??

15 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Any ideas then or are you just going to have a crack at a club  which does as good as any ??

It doesn't really do as good as any Chelsea. It is in a major metropolitan area with lots of group and listed races but, without double checking, does Saturday oncourse turnovers of $45,000-$75,000 for quite major meetings. I may well be wrong with those figures, and hopefully I am, as I don't have time to check them.

As I keep reiterating, the quality of the NZ domestic racing product is very ordinary - every facet is lacking in excitement. Why leave the comfort of your warm home in the middle of winter to endure what we've been served up this year....and it's not going to improve in the near future. Just telling it like it is! 

7 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

I have only ever been a member of the Cambridge JC for obvious reasons, but this week I have become a member of the Waikato RC.

I was taken up to the new Members facilities recently, and was quite taken with the area, and what it offers.

Only one thing that annoyed me, the man that made the wheels turn and was the major push in the upgrades of the facilities on this floor, and the one above that opens in September, has resigned from the board on a matter of principal.

Peter Archer, sorry to see you go, and I hope it all comes out in the wash!

Do spill

It is essentially a donation isn't it these days.  Encourage the dwindling committee numbers to carry on on the basis that there are members out there supporting the Club.  God knows someone has to organise things, chase sponsorship and tolerate the endless circulars (the making sure the Club is wiping its a#*e properly type of thing) that NZTR insist on bombarding Clubs with. 

$100 membership at Te Rapa

I go to at least 15 meetings a year, get 2 race books free each time 15 x $6 = $90 + get to sit in lovely new surroundings, eat delicious food with new caterer. Parking under the grandstand.

Free entry on the 2 paying days they have. 

Reciprocal agreements with Manawatu, Wellington, Auckland, Hawkes Bay, Tauranga, Otago

Members discounted tickets to tonight's cocktail evening with Greg Miles.

Cheaper hirage of the facilities if you are having a function.

At $100 its bloody great value for me.

9 hours ago, La Zip said:

As I keep reiterating, the quality of the NZ domestic racing product is very ordinary - every facet is lacking in excitement. Why leave the comfort of your warm home in the middle of winter to endure what we've been served up this year....and it's not going to improve in the near future. Just telling it like it is! 

If you want lacking excitement then pop along to an NPC Rugby game this year, its a concept that is long past its use by date, even the Ranfurly shield has failed to generate any real interest the last few seasons. The Super Rugby was a terrible bore this year as well, even hardened Cantab's failed to get that excited by it. The cheapest season ticket for the Chiefs is $175 in the standing only area for 7 games & ranges up to $410. I know where I would rather spend the $800 that would cost me.

Now if you want excitement, then pop along to Wanganui this Sunday and stand down by the fence in the straight and watch the close up action of the jumpers going full flight, admire in the skills & courage of those sitting on top. Its just such a shame that moaners like you are too tired/lazy/negative to get of their arse and get along and support a great spectacle that winter racing throws up every year, yet in the same breath the likes of you bemoan the fact that no new blood is coming in. 

30 minutes ago, barryb said:

$100 membership at Te Rapa

I go to at least 15 meetings a year, get 2 race books free each time 15 x $6 = $90 + get to sit in lovely new surroundings, eat delicious food with new caterer. Parking under the grandstand.

Free entry on the 2 paying days they have. 

Reciprocal agreements with Manawatu, Wellington, Auckland, Hawkes Bay, Tauranga, Otago

Members discounted tickets to tonight's cocktail evening with Greg Miles.

Cheaper hirage of the facilities if you are having a function.

At $100 its bloody great value for me.

Talk me through the "delicious food" if you would, surely that's delusional hyperbole.

26 minutes ago, barryb said:

If you want lacking excitement then pop along to an NPC Rugby game this year, its a concept that is long past its use by date, even the Ranfurly shield has failed to generate any real interest the last few seasons. The Super Rugby was a terrible bore this year as well, even hardened Cantab's failed to get that excited by it. The cheapest season ticket for the Chiefs is $175 in the standing only area for 7 games & ranges up to $410. I know where I would rather spend the $800 that would cost me.

Now if you want excitement, then pop along to Wanganui this Sunday and stand down by the fence in the straight and watch the close up action of the jumpers going full flight, admire in the skills & courage of those sitting on top. Its just such a shame that moaners like you are too tired/lazy/negative to get of their arse and get along and support a great spectacle that winter racing throws up every year, yet in the same breath the likes of you bemoan the fact that no new blood is coming in. 

Not all of us embrace jumps racing, I for one don't hate it, I just don't like it.  However, there are none so blind as those that cannot see.....I don't think you get it. Ijust can't help you.....

2 minutes ago, La Zip said:

Not all of us embrace jumps racing, I for one don't hate it, I just don't like it.  However, there are none so blind as those that cannot see.....I don't think you get it. Ijust can't help you.....

The trouble is you only see the negative. I am not farking stupid & well aware there are problems in racing as there are in countless other pursuits today that are competing for the discretionary spend.

Take Golf, Rugby, Cricket, Fishing all having declining interest & membership as the $ is split far more ways than prior to yr 2000.

The problem with silly people like you is they expect Winks quality to be going around at Tauherenikau this weekend. 

12 hours ago, turny said:

Yes CJC have it really worked out - do a grand job - the current challenge is to get more on course outside of the carnivals but in this area they are silent - very silent

Marketing has always been the problem Tom.  Seems to me any budget is reserved for the Cup Week and the rest of the season is largely ignored. Cup week is an established date in the calendar and punters will turn up whether they advertise or not. Keeping the Club "top of mind" with punters/consumers and promoting the venue as a viable entertainment option year round is the key.