RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Spring Trans-Tasman Super Comp entries here (new players welcome)

The Spring Trans-Tasman Super Comp will kick off on Sep 2.

New competitors (and we have seen some smart newbie tipsters recently on here) are most welcome as of course are the veterans. Please enter on this thread with your team preference. You can list up to three team preferences in order. 

After the Winter Comp being a draft affair we return to the standard regional teams format for Spring 2017.

THE RULES
The rules remain unchanged from the last comp 

1. Players. Each team will consist of 5 players. If you can't play on a given week you may nominate a sub from outside the comp or have a team mate post for you although in the latter instance their selections on behalf of the missing player must vary from their own to some degree.

2. Draw. The draw will match each team against another team every week until all teams have played each other in the Round Robin part of the comp. At the conclusion of the Round Robin section the top teams will enter into a Finals Series which will be a straight knockout with the following format:

Finals Rnd 1

Game A - 1st v 8th 

Game B - 2nd v 7th 

Game C - 3rd v 6th 

Game D - 4th v 5th

Finals Rnd 2

Game E - Wnrs Game A v Wnrs Game D

Game F - Wnrs Game B v Wnrs Game C

Grand Final

Wnrs Game E vs Wnrs Game F

If the losers in Finals Round 1 want to play out the last two weeks in a 3rd-8th playoff series then we can do that.

The 9th and 10th placed teams can play a best of three series over the final 3 weeks for Wooden Spoon honours

3. Selections. Competitors are required to select two runners per race. No subs are to be posted. All selections should be posted at the same time although I may make allowances if this is not possible due to late arrival for posting. Posting the same numbers for each race is not permitted. I don't think your team mates would want you to do that anyway. You must post at least 6 different (initial) selections to your opponent if you post after them. The minimum number of different selections has gone from 5 to 6 - please note !  

4. Scratching Rule. You may post replacements for any scratching by editing your original post up until 11.00am on raceday. After that time any selection which is scratched will be replaced by the TAB sub followed by the 2nd favourite by TAB win odds in that order.If more than one horse meets the latter criteria then the replacement will be the horse with the higher number. 

5. Investments. Each selection will be regarded as an imaginary $10 win bet while if both selections start, a $2 quinella combining the two selections will also be credited to the competitor. So that's a $22 investment per race per competitor if two tips are submitted.The races will usually be split 50/50 between NZ and Australia. 

6. Best Bet. Each selector may choose one race in each country as a "best bet" selection. All $$$ earned from these races will be doubled. In the event of scratchings the same best bet (BB) will apply. There will be no transference to a subsequent race. If your best bet race is abandoned - bad luck !@

7. H-T-H. The draw will pit individual players from the two teams drawn to play each other, against each other in head-to-head competition. The player with the most $$$ at the conclusion of the round is the winner for his team. The team with 3 or more winners wins the match.

8. Countback. If a head-to-head contest is a tie on $$$ earned then a countback will determine the winner by award victory to the player who uniquely selected the highest placed horse in the final event. In other words if you both selected the same horse that cancels itself out. It would be the two selections which are different which will determine the tie-breaker. If the selections are the same for the final event then the same parameter will apply to the penultimate race and so on.

9. Points. Teams will be awarded points as follows:
3-2 win - 2 points
4-1 win - 3 points
5-0 win - 4 points

Bonus points
Team profit bonus - 1 point
Losing team with higher aggregate than their conquerors - 1 point

So a well performed side which still loses may earn as many points (2) as a side which wins narrowly .

10. Joker. Twice during the Round Robin series the team captain of each team may elect to play their "Joker". They must advise this in the post in which they make their selections. They may or may not confer with their team regarding this deployment. The Joker will double the final points tally for that team for that week. So it's possible to score 10 points (this has been done more than once) from a single round while it is also possible to play your Joker score 0 points and waste it completely.

11. Posting. Please post your selections by number (names are optional and unnecessary). If you post replacements for scratched horses then do so in anew post rather than edit your original.

13. Closing Time. There is no closing time but selections are only valid if posted at least one minute before the starting time of the first or any race. My decision is final in this and all other matters.

Comp is scheduled to start on Sat Sep 2 (Tarzino Trophy - Day 2 - Hastings). Hoping to finalize teams next week. Those who have played previously have 7 days to reserve a spot in their teams from the Summer Comp. 

Please post your entry on here clearly stating your team preference - e.g
1. Hurricanes
2. Sharks
3. Any team other than Kauri Kats (!)

NEWCOMERS ARE VERY WELCOME ! 

Teams from the previous comp last Summer/Autumn were:

THE HURRICANES (1st) 

Hesi 

The Crucible 

John 

Von Smallhausen 

Viceroy 

THE BLUES (2nd)

Pete

Gordy

Geoff

Brian

Howie

THE FERDIES (3rd) THE BARBARIANS 

Steve 

Maurice 

PJ 

Bryan

Heather 

THE BARBARIANS (4th)

Steve P

Sasha

Daniel

Sir Castleton

Ray

THE STAGS (5th) THE SHARKS 

Damion 

FWTB 

Kay 

Isaac 

Alan 

THE SHARKS (6th)

Cam

MoMo

Rees

Jason

Mark

THE CHIEFS (7th)

Jack

Casper

Catalano

Ian

Sylvia

THE TURBOS (8th)

Moose

Rosina 

Bryn 

Ted 

Betty 

THE KAURI KATS  (9th)

Sharne

Sarah

Jen

Pam

Graeme

THE CRUSADERS (10th) 

Richie

Cubes 

Rob 

Tom

Mr Gee 

Peter am I allowed to enter the two teams on my Thread "spring comp with a difference'.

Team one. The Flying Sulkys.   Rees, Mardy, Robert, Luca, Richie

Team two  Thieves on Wheels.   Allan, Wrinkles, Harewood, Dogztar, Kay.

They all confirmed at that time they were interested in the concept of taking on the TB,s at there own game .

Your call . If it is yes let me know and I shall contact them all to give them the heads up.

Regards Rees

18 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Peter am I allowed to enter the two teams on my Thread "spring comp with a difference'.

They all confirmed at that time they were interested in the concept of taking on the TB,s at there own game .

Your call . If it is yes let me know and I shall contact them all to give them the heads up.

Regards Rees

No problem mate but come back to me with confirmation of the team makeup after you have checked 

23 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

You must post at least 6 different (initial) selections to your opponent if you post after them.

From another angle this means a rival posting second may have fourteen initial selections the same including best bets which is a downer.

5 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

No problem mate but come back to me with confirmation of the team makeup after you have checked 

So far 3 confirmed for The Flying Sulkys and 1 for Thieves on Wheels.

Come on guys get your replys in.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:22 PM, globederby12 said:

Regards Rees

I be in thanks Rees

23 hours ago, Kundalini said:

From another angle this means a rival posting second may have fourteen initial selections the same including best bets which is a downer.

Point taken Brian however I would respond with two points:

1) This encourages early posting, something that you and I understand better than anyone

2) My opinion is that if we raise it beyond 6 we are starting to disadvantage the person posting second. I note from experience people don't like to go with the same races for BBs

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Right then PJ.

Full Team for "The Flying Sulkys".  Robert , Richie, Mardy,  Final Luca, and Globe.

Three now for Thieves on Wheels. Just Dogz and Kay to go

Sorry Dogzstar missed your post.

Only one to go on Thieves on Wheels.

Come in Kay