RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Small Successful horses

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

Bit before my time but Prettypeen winner of the 1965 McGregor Grant Steeplechase. Reputedly barely as tall as some of the jumps!

First horse who came to my mind Gubes. When the jumps season finished she was often seen competing in A & P shows - in the pony ring. Might have shaved her feet hard but still managed not to exceed 14:2 hands. Makes her hurdling accomplishments all the more spectacular. Did any of these mares ever produce anything of note?

Prettypeen had four  foals. The first Bonnie Peen a 1968 filly by Test Case. Raced once finishing unplaced at Tauranga on 25/3/72 ridden by Ray Johnson. She had two by Hasty Cloud- War Cloud a Colt and Catcha Cloud a filly. Both named in Australia. Not sure of their race records. Her last foal was a Colt by Aureate 2 named Super Peen. He was unraced.

Falada had five foals. Whistle Ada won a Maiden 6f at Hawera on 13/2/74 ridden by Brent Thomson for Alby Skinner at Otaki. Maya was trained by Royce Dowling. I think she was a winner. Aurlada ran an unlucky third in the 1981 Great Norhern Steeplechase beaten a short head and half a length after Chris Wood lost both irons during the running. Five days later Aurlada won the McGregor Grant Steeplechase ridden by Ray Johnson. Penumbra was placed several times. Falada's last foal was Phineas who won 3 Steeplechases for Shirley Watts.

Time dims memories but wasn't Ascona a small horse, more or less a pony ?  Will never forget Ken winning that second GN and him slumped over the horse, he looked the tiredest of the two.  Thought, bugger, that'll be last time he throws a leg over in this  race. and how  many did he win after that ?? Amazing.

4 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

Time dims memories but wasn't Ascona a small horse, more or less a pony ?  Will never forget Ken winning that second GN and him slumped over the horse, he looked the tiredest of the two.  Thought, bugger, that'll be last time he throws a leg over in this  race. and how  many did he win after that ?? Amazing.

Just checked and only one more as a rider I can see , but heck, was all of 11 years later.