RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Winston Peters ten point plan for NZ Racing...

Sounds like the $15,000 races will be in addition to the existing $10,000. I like the idea. The current gap is too great for basically the same horses. He has obviously got someone with some racing knowledge advising him, which is better than the other parties. Actually come to think of it, it is better than NZTR and NZRB as well.

Guest 2Admin2

Written by the breeders for the breeders.  Since when did we have to import quality mares?  Isn't there enough standing in paddocks already?

Don't see any mention of assisting with race track infrastructure.

I guess if they are not going to use tax dollars for the $15k minimum it must be coming from pokies.

So will Winnie mend the amended bill to divert money from sports betting to racing?

Sadly, much of the impetus to revive the racing industry has been lost under the present Government’s neglect.

Rt Hon Winston Peters MP on this policy

"Racing in New Zealand is an integral part of the Kiwi lifestyle."

10 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Looks like Winnie is gunning for the Racing portfolio if National stuff up the election...particularly like point 6.....;)

http://www.nzfirst.org.nz/racing

I said in another post , that I voted for Winnie in the last election... went with National,to form a majority...never rocked the boat, or heard a squeak from him

as National have sat on their hands during the recent demise of NZ racing.

Now nearing election, he comes up with this (agree Admin...for the breeders Doc.) written by one of the boys.

Nah, not for me Winnie...once bitten, twice shy !...I know you,ll do a deal, with who-ever holds the balance...you,d be silly not to ! 

Labour for me, this time. (I,m a worker and like clean water ! )

Guest 2Admin2
37 minutes ago, porky said:

Sadly, much of the impetus to revive the racing industry has been lost under the present Government’s neglect.

Rt Hon Winston Peters MP on this policy

"Racing in New Zealand is an integral part of the Kiwi lifestyle."

I said in another post , that I voted for Winnie in the last election... went with National,to form a majority...never rocked the boat, or heard a squeak from him

as National have sat on their hands during the recent demise of NZ racing.

Now nearing election, he comes up with this (agree Admin...for the breeders Doc.) written by one of the boys.

Nah, not for me Winnie...once bitten, twice shy !...I know you,ll do a deal, with who-ever holds the balance...you,d be silly not to ! 

Labour for me, this time. (I,m a worker and like clean water ! )

Slightly off the topic but Labours water policy is a dog.  As a worker you will get hit in the pocket by the extra tax of some unspecified amount and it won't give you clean water.  As a worker it will add another tax to your beer!

Yeah I know Admin, hardly worth the trip to the polling booth, might see old aunt mable,

who caught her left tit in the mangle though,...worth the outing.

Mate I remember going eeling, swimming and diving in ,lovely clean deep, rivers and streams and drinking fresh water as a kid

now just stones, mud,weed,polluted and chlorine water out of the tap...all in 1 generation.

If National could align industry/farming etc with good environmental practices instead of pretending there is no problem.... I may support them. 

Guest 2Admin2
18 minutes ago, porky said:

Yeah I know Admin, hardly worth the trip to the polling booth, might see old aunt mable,

who caught her left tit in the mangle though,...worth the outing.

Mate I remember going eeling, swimming and diving in ,lovely clean deep, rivers and streams and drinking fresh water as a kid

now just stones, mud,weed,polluted and chlorine water out of the tap...all in 1 generation.

If National could align industry/farming etc with good environmental practices instead of pretending there is no problem.... I may support them. 

It's a toughie and I can relate to your experiences although coming from the West Coast we tended to have too much fresh water!  However while living in Christchurch I fish the tributaries of Lake Ellesmere once proclaimed the best trout fishery in the world.  In the 17 years since my leaving Christchurch rivers like the L2 and Harts Creek have been stuffed.  I see this week that ECAN says it is nigh impossible to fix the Ellesmere problem and it would take $300m annually out of the local economy.

1 hour ago, 2Admin2 said:

It's a toughie and I can relate to your experiences although coming from the West Coast we tended to have too much fresh water!  However while living in Christchurch I fish the tributaries of Lake Ellesmere once proclaimed the best trout fishery in the world.  In the 17 years since my leaving Christchurch rivers like the L2 and Harts Creek have been stuffed.  I see this week that ECAN says it is nigh impossible to fix the Ellesmere problem and it would take $300m annually out of the local economy.

How is it impossible?

Not trying to be cynical or clever - just want to know.  Difficult,  certainly - but impossible?  FFS Ecan presided over the present situation didn't it?

Guest 2Admin2
24 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

How is it impossible?

Not trying to be cynical or clever - just want to know.  Difficult,  certainly - but impossible?  FFS Ecan presided over the present situation didn't it?

This is well off the topic but Lake Ellesmere has always been unique in terms of eutrophication (excessive nutrients from land runoff) going back many many decades.  It has survived as a fishery because of its shallowness and exposure to strong winds which keeps the water aerated.  Plus that from time to time it is opened to the sea.

The difference now is that the rivers flowing in are stuffed for a number reasons e.g. the Selwyn which has zero flow.  What is being said that it is politically and economically untenable to fix it as it would put a huge dent into the local economy at an estimated $300 million annually.  That is many farms will have to be retired.  That die was cast long before ECAN came into existence.

If we were the Israelis we would be tunneling some of that West Coast water through the Alps!

So where does this end ?

My view is that water is evaporated and re-deposited with little involvement from man.

On that basis I'm going to say water is by virtue of nature ( God if you're that way inclined ) in the same way the sun, wind, and air are.

Are we going to start taxing those who use the sun, wind and air for their activities ( that contribute to their profits ) ?

Just asking because this Jacinda crowd seems to be inclined to tax anything and everything that moves or breathes, presumably to redistribute the countries wealth and to support social policy that favors those who don't actually produce anything.

Just saying of course.

I've never been Winston's biggest fan. I see him as good opposition politician.

BUT to be fair he is the only Racing Minister in my life time that seems to have done anything much for our industry.

16 hours ago, Leggy said:

I like it too as long as he doesn't expect the taxpayer to pay for it.

Fair comment Leggy but whatever he might screw out of the public purse to put into racing will have been paid for ten times ten times ten times over by the paye, GST  and duties the industry has paid for the government(in the plural and of all colours) to waste on every hare-brained and halfwit scheme ever heard of.

Whether you like Winston or you don't at least he is taking a serious interest and you know he will be able to achieve this bottom line because it will not be significant enough for National or whoever to lose his support over. $100m or so to prop up Winnie's little hobby horse will be well worth it to retain (or gain) power.

Getting stuck into the TAB/NZRB and getting access to more pokie funding(someone has to get it and Racing may as well have its share) sound like good steps to me.  Plus no doubt his puppetiers(whoever they are in the industry) will tell him some good names to appoint to the NZRB Board.

And if their are tax concessions for Breeders and that leads to international exposure for the industry there will be a glow of national interest that will reflect on the local industry as well. 

Winston is coming so he may as well be on our side

Labour's water policy is absolute bonkers. When you look at what the details could mean, they are essentially ensuring that anyone relying on water to propagate a commodity as a result of using water will be taxed. Probably essential to funding $2.25b of rail system to the airport. No mention of the real problem which is the circular transportation of people around Auckland and any other city that is experiencing human transportation logistics issues.

Labour is bonkers. Nothing has changed apart from the fact that the face is female, has big teeth, but quite appealing to look at.

As for Winnie....he's more onto it than you think. There's one thing to changing the industry, the other is to win the votes. He's not all for the big breeders. They now know the issues nd many of them are more switched on than you think. We have many issues but we have a slim chance of taking charge of our own destiny. Let's just see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Fair comment Leggy but whatever he might screw out of the public purse to put into racing will have been paid for ten times ten times ten times over by the paye, GST  and duties the industry has paid for the government(in the plural and of all colours) to waste on every hare-brained and halfwit scheme ever heard of.

Whether you like Winston or you don't at least he is taking a serious interest and you know he will be able to achieve this bottom line because it will not be significant enough for National or whoever to lose his support over. $100m or so to prop up Winnie's little hobby horse will be well worth it to retain (or gain) power.

Getting stuck into the TAB/NZRB and getting access to more pokie funding(someone has to get it and Racing may as well have its share) sound like good steps to me.  Plus no doubt his puppetiers(whoever they are in the industry) will tell him some good names to appoint to the NZRB Board.

And if their are tax concessions for Breeders and that leads to international exposure for the industry there will be a glow of national interest that will reflect on the local industry as well. 

He'll get his way Tom, whichever way it goes. Neither party can afford to alienate him given the support they appear to have.

4 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Well said, you are 100% correct, and I am in total support, so the rest of you, get on side. 

I see he supports the export industry....that's a contributing factor in the demise of racing in this country.  Breeders want to import high quality mares and get the tax write down.....well don't sell the good ones to Japan.  I'm not sure any political party or individual has the silver bullet...

5 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I,m still getting over the disappointment of voting for Winnie last election , He had the luxury of sitting on the fence and went with National...holding the balance of power...

who in turn made Nathan Guy the Minister of racing...Winnie had been so good in that post previously...(what chance this time?)...

Just wished they would spell out who they intend shacking up with, and who they have in mind for what portfolios...(so voters are not treated like mushrooms)

Guest 2Admin2

It could be possible for a minority government to form where both major parties find it untenable to throw baubles at Winnie.

It's also amusing watching some of you forgetting what actually did and expecting more handouts to be forthcoming.

My concern would be that Winnie's policies tend to just support the status quo, more of the "same old, same old"

I'm of the opinion that we need a major overhaul and some original thinking to remodel the game because, for a multitude of reasons, it's no longer relevant in a modern entertainment world and if we let the sun set any lower on the thoroughbred horizon it'll be " lights out, lock the doors behind you " time.

49 minutes ago, hesi said:

A fruitless statement

Trouble is, all the people in Racing who are in a position to exert pressure for starting change, are doing fine, so not a lot of motivation.

Racing Minister, CEO's of the RB and Executive, CEO of NZTR, CEO's of the big clubs, all on big salaries

The big breeders, rolling in it

The big successful trainers, doing alright as well.

Anyone else making money out of trading bloodstock

Check and mate

"The Racing Industry must unite to effect change.."  He is quite right Hesi.

A collaborative, approach...that involves all the important corners of the industry. Those that "put on the show" so those you mention can pick up their inflated wage packets....don't expect our "leaders" to do it for us....they haven't been listening for a long time.

IMG_2472.JPG

Winston Peters - you are kidding? If Racing has to rely on him well may Allah help NZR. His bday is gone and if the blue rinse get him over the line then so be it. Nothing will change the state of NZR. The change has to come from the grass roots. 

14 minutes ago, Trump said:

Winston Peters - you are kidding? If Racing has to rely on him well may Allah help NZR. His bday is gone and if the blue rinse get him over the line then so be it. Nothing will change the state of NZR. The change has to come from the grass roots. 

Thankfully only your view,  not others. 

"The change has to come from the grass roots" (quote Trump)

Please tell us how and together we will lead the way.