RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Taaxi

Most prestigious races in the world

My son asked me tonight how big was the Melbourne Cup in the world. It got me thinking where would it sit in terms of prestige to win. I'm thinking Kentucky derby would be up there as would the big Dubai one. I thought the cup would at least be in the top ten. What do others think?

Well it's an assessment of the quality of the race based on the average international rating of the first four finishers for that year. Similar to how pattern races are assessed in order to maintain their status. That's for 2016.

Champion Stakes: Almanzor/Found/Minding/New Bay

Prix de l'Arc: Found/Highland Reel/Order of St.George/Siljan's Saga/

No brainer on that basis?

47 minutes ago, hesi said:

The Golden Slipper, as far as the Aussies are concerned anyway, would be up there as one of the most prestigious, yet does not figure in the lists, as being 2 year olds would not have very high ratings.

That's because the list is for G1s for 3yos and upwards.

Whilst the jumps will never compare to the prize money and value of horses to the top Flat races some of the worlds best jumping races would qualify as prestigious ,

Grand National
Cheltenham Gold Cup
Champion Hurdle
Maryland Hunt Cup
Nakayama Grand Jump
Velká Pardubická

8 hours ago, Leggy said:

Well it's an assessment of the quality of the race based on the average international rating of the first four finishers for that year. Similar to how pattern races are assessed in order to maintain their status. That's for 2016.

Champion Stakes: Almanzor/Found/Minding/New Bay

Prix de l'Arc: Found/Highland Reel/Order of St.George/Siljan's Saga/

No brainer on that basis?

Well if that's the criteria then I can see how they have come up with that conclusion, but I wouldn't get up at 3am in the Morning to watch a George Main but do for the Arc. If you get my point.

The Arc is a beautiful race but it comes a bit late in the season when a lot of good horses are over the top.

The Melbourne Cup is just a dirty old handicap of no significance globally, it's a glorified jumpers flat for one paced plodders, but it's fun because it's a social event.

Prestigious ? It depends on how you define it. In the Southern Hemisphere, the most prestigious race to win with a colt, is the Golden Slipper. It's the No 1 Stallion making race and immediately adds $10m plus to the value of the horse. For social prestige, the Melb Cup - nothing comes near it. For theatre, the Cox Plate is it. As for the Northern Hemisphere, I think the English Derby is up there. Just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Midget said:

The Arc is a beautiful race but it comes a bit late in the season when a lot of good horses are over the top.

The Melbourne Cup is just a dirty old handicap of no significance globally, it's a glorified jumpers flat for one paced plodders, but it's fun because it's a social event.

Still the great ones manage to win the Arc Montjeu, Treve, Dancing Brave, Alleged to name but a few and its aesthetically pleasing to watch as well.

26 minutes ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

Only a 100 percent idoit would NOT want to win

1 golden slipper

2 bong bong cup

3 grand ammual warnanmbool

rest are a joke noO?

The greatest race of all is the human race Zelda, and like most Australians you and Boris can only dream about it.