RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Explanation Please, Anyone!

I was just wondering if anyone can explain how a $20,000 maiden 1,400m in the SI can attract only nine noms,  and only six of them trained in the south.

Surely proof that the stake, within reasonable wide parametres, doesn't have all that much significance.

Can't explain, the rating 85 today has minimal numbers for 30k, just not the numbers around, but for those stakes, hard to believe, and we have Saturday to come yet, wonder how they will stack up, some may not start for a third time in a week, in testing conditions.

1 hour ago, puha said:

They've not got the 65 grade right at the mo . One win horses almost need their own race in this grade . 

Should be split into multiple grades, NZTR has been told this by far more learned people than me but you can't tell them anything because they're mostly carved out of dead wood, especially the handicappers.

I have suggested to programming so many times, midweek, R60, R70 and it gives those horses a chance to still compete, instead of so may geldings disappearing from the racing scene.

And is isn't going to get any better if they don't take heed, as the broodmare band is disintergrating at a rapid rate?

Too much for our clowns to absorb?

Apparently!

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Should be split into multiple grades, NZTR has been told this by far more learned people than me but you can't tell them anything because they're mostly carved out of dead wood, especially the handicappers.

Goodness Midget, so modest.

No one seems interested in getting the basics right. It obviously isn't the glamorous side of racing.

49 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

I have suggested to programming so many times, midweek, R60, R70 and it gives those horses a chance to still compete, instead of so may geldings disappearing from the racing scene.

And is isn't going to get any better if they don't take heed, as the broodmare band is disintergrating at a rapid rate?

Too much for our clowns to absorb?

Apparently!

As you know Chris, it isn't really all that hard to get right. Minimal degree of difficulty really.

Are they incompetent or totally uninterested. Or is there some hidden agenda.?

There should be a grade for horses who haven't won in the last year.

There should also be an R60 grade given that most horses end up in that lower end of the band.

Clubs should also have discretion to just program 1200m races, 1600m and 2000m races, and then split the noms into whatever grades they wish to create the most efficient use of the horses available and give the most horses possible an opportunity to compete.

13 hours ago, puha said:

They've not got the 65 grade right at the mo . One win horses almost need their own race in this grade . 

No they look a bit silly with 5 & 6 win horses running in that grade.

15 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

so may geldings disappearing from the racing scene.

I've just found a home for a rising 5yo in the south. Struggling to get into fields, then having races cancelled, a lack of experienced riders - it just all became too hard for the trainer and myself - he was good enough to persevere with, but wasn't going to win a graded race (although he'd had hoof issues, which the trainer had just managed to sort out)

His last start was in a 3 & 4yo fixed weight, we had no option but to run there. He had to carry topweight against R80 horses, was beaten a half length from 2nd in 6th place - a great run. We then nominate for a R65 and are bottom of the ladder and can't get a start. A look at the calendar showed minimal opportunities for R65 over a mile, and we wouldn't get a start anyway.

We had an offer for someone to take him as a hack, and it was an easy decision to retire him.

2 hours ago, Catalano said:

I've just found a home for a rising 5yo in the south. Struggling to get into fields, then having races cancelled, a lack of experienced riders - it just all became too hard for the trainer and myself - he was good enough to persevere with, but wasn't going to win a graded race (although he'd had hoof issues, which the trainer had just managed to sort out)

His last start was in a 3 & 4yo fixed weight, we had no option but to run there. He had to carry topweight against R80 horses, was beaten a half length from 2nd in 6th place - a great run. We then nominate for a R65 and are bottom of the ladder and can't get a start. A look at the calendar showed minimal opportunities for R65 over a mile, and we wouldn't get a start anyway.

We had an offer for someone to take him as a hack, and it was an easy decision to retire him.

I do feel for you on so many levels Catalano. You sum up perfectly everything that is wrong with SI Racing and NZ Racing in general. I'm not really sure whether the industry is run by fools or by reasonably clever people with an agenda. I suspect they are trying to reduce opportunities so that horse numbers continue to reduce and they can keep reducing the number of meetings in the South.

I recently looked at the programmes for the first few months of this season in the South and it is an ugly and boring read, but that is another story.

By my estimate at least 20 horses per week are denied starts in the South, so over 1,000 horses per year. And most of those that get starts aren't racing over their preferred distance or in their preferred grade, all because of this ignorant idea of programming seven races at each meeting.

Racing undoubtedly faces many problems, some of which are difficult to resolve, but a significant number of the problems are totally of Racing's own doing and more often than not caused by poor and incompetent management. And sadly there is no indication that this is likely to turn around. You and your horse Catalano are probably much better off with the course you have taken.