RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
harewood

Greg BOND suspended for 1 year in WA

The leading training partnership of Greg and Skye BOND in Perth WA had their training licence suspended for 1 year yesterday for telling porkies and committing behavior detrimental to the industry. This is a huge statement made by the judiciary, warning all other trainers that this behavior will not be tolerated. It shows that any unscrupulously acts will not be allowed. in WA at least, and shows that they are very clear in their intention  to have clean harness racing in WA.

The horse in question was the former NZ pacer Fifth Edition when it started a very hot fav on the 3rd night of the 2016 IDs

Bond trains mainly horse owned by himself and one in particular stable client. Most of his horses are sourced in NZ  and  this decision may have some effect on the sale of such horses to WA, at least in the short term. 

How do caffers think HRNZ would have handled this.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/home/industry/harness-stewards-inquiry-race-1-gloucester-park-2-december-2016-fifth-edition-nz-6286.html

28 minutes ago, harewood said:

The leading training partnership of Greg and Skye BOND in Perth WA had their training licence suspended for 1 year yesterday for telling porkies and committing behavior detrimental to the industry. This is a huge statement made by the judiciary, warning all other trainers that this behavior will not be tolerated. It shows that any unscrupulously acts will not be allowed. in WA at least, and shows that they are very clear in their intention  to have clean harness racing in WA.

The horse in question was the former NZ pacer Fifth Edition when it started a very hot fav on the 3rd night of the 2016 IDs

Bond trains mainly horse owned by himself and one in particular stable client. Most of his horses are sourced in NZ  and  this decision may have some effect on the sale of such horses to WA, at least in the short term. 

How do caffers think HRNZ would have handled this.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/home/industry/harness-stewards-inquiry-race-1-gloucester-park-2-december-2016-fifth-edition-nz-6286.html

Your stipes would never have uncovered the lies for a start so he would have gotten away with it over there.

Did he get the first four.? if so good on him. if he thought the horse wasn't on his game then some return was better than none.  Anyone that thinks this sport is squeaky clean needs their head examined. Maybe not the brightest way to go about it though.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Did he get the first four.? if so good on him. if he thought the horse wasn't on his game then some return was better than none.  Anyone that thinks this sport is squeaky clean needs their head examined. Maybe not the brightest way to go about it though.

There have been two large stables and and some others controlling races in WA at Gloucester Park for some time. Well done to the new stewards, they are starting to have an impact, though they still have some work to do.

13 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

I wonder what set the ball rolling in this case. Loose lips sink ships?

Bond was interviewed on the local perth racing show, as he was regularly. On the friday he labelled First Edition as his best of the night. Later that night First Editon around a $1.60 shot stopped at the 600 like a punctured balloon and finished a  long last.  As the stipes do in WA they investigated this and  noting what he said earlier in the day sought betting records. And guess what Bond took quaddies  and never put First Edition in any of them. 

Deserves all he gets.

5 hours ago, globederby12 said:

We were here that night Globe and if my memory serves me  correct we anchored it to win.  Bond doesnt deserve a cent  for deliberately deceiving the public punters

6 hours ago, harewood said:

We were here that night Globe and if my memory serves me  correct we anchored it to win.  Bond doesnt deserve a cent  for deliberately deceiving the public punters

I instinctively agree with this perspective, as I suspect most people do, but I wonder if public shaming, lengthy suspensions etc are the best way to rectify the problem.  After all, as far as punters are concerned, this sort of thing is pretty much a zero-sum game --- while those who were aware of, and took notice of, Bond's comments lost out, this was offset by the gains to those who blissfully ignored them.

The problem here is that punters aren't aware of information that trainers and other insiders have.  So instead of applying big sticks after the stitch-up has happened, why not just solve the problem ex ante by providing punters with the information?  Require, for example, that all stable bets be placed, say, 4 hours before each race and that this information be displayed online alongside the betting odds.  Then punters can make up their own minds about who and what to believe.

And yes, I know that cunning minds would try to come up with ways to circumvent the rule, for example by having somebody from outside the stable place bets.  But that's already a problem, and is rather risky into the bargain.  My suggestion would at least reduce the number of offenses stipes have to worry about.  And uncertainties that punters have to worry about. 

Suspensions and disqualifications are the way to go in my opinion. By deliberately misleading punters as he did showed a degree of contempt for that group and would only reinforce in punters minds that the industry is corrupt.   When you read this story you can't help but wonder what else they get up too if money is their sole focus. 

4 hours ago, Basil said:

I instinctively agree with this perspective, as I suspect most people do, but I wonder if public shaming, lengthy suspensions etc are the best way to rectify the problem.  After all, as far as punters are concerned, this sort of thing is pretty much a zero-sum game --- while those who were aware of, and took notice of, Bond's comments lost out, this was offset by the gains to those who blissfully ignored them.

Basil, while I think it would be a great idea for stable bets to be displayed this will never happen and would be impossible to police. Who is "the stable", trainer, owners, partners, stable hands, drivers, horse float driver, mucker out boy, friends, the list goes on and on. Many people dont want to bet untill the last few minutes to see how the horse has traveled, how was its preliminary, has the weather changed etc. 

Last year all changes to a horse racing pattern had to be notified to the stewards earlier in the day and this was made public. Ie Going to lead at all costs tonight, going back from one to get a trail etc. If they failed to drive that way there were consequences. The drivers and trainers made such a fuss that this great help for the punters was scrapped. There is no chance they are going to submit their bets.

I dont think that their has been any public shaming either as you put it. He has been given a suspension same as any other racing offence does and it is up to people to decide if they agree or disagree with them and make comment if they feel so inclinded. 

What Bond did was deliberately mislead the racing public. His comments were on the well listened to and highly regarded sports and racing radio channel. His comments were repeated during the day several times and again prior to the race that  First Edition was his best for the night. There would have been very few betting people that would not have known about his comments, hence the horse being hot favourite. Also it was the 3rd night of the Inter Doms so a lot of visitors would have been on as well. It was not a good look especially with the evidence that came to light that Bond knew the horse was cross firing and most likely would not preform well. He misled to create a better betting opportunity for himself and those that he told. 

He deserved a lengthy suspension.    

4 hours ago, beef said:

Mistered is 100% correct. Our NZ stipes would have never considered this next local step and and looked at the betting. Some times I wonder whether or not the Auckland stipes know if we're racing left handed or right.

How many times does a trainer come on TV label a horse and it goes terrible but the stable mate wins paying more money. It happens quite a bit but I bet those cases never get investigated.  One thing this penalty will do is possibly stop connections of horses coming onto the media and giving out any information in fear of losing a job or income for a period of time.

5 minutes ago, MisterEd said:

One thing this penalty will do is possibly stop connections of horses coming onto the media and giving out any information in fear of losing a job or income for a period of time.

It will only stop those people who deliberately give false information to dupe the punter so they can get a better price themselves on other horses. I would rather they do stay away thankyou. 

The majority of trainers give an honest opinion of their chances and what this case hopefully does is stop those who dont.

Is honesty not a concept you think should apply to harness racing eljay. I know your being facetious  but over thinking things to put on a ridiculous biased spin while ignoring the blatantly obvious seems to be a fault of humans.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:37 PM, what a post said:

Is honesty not a concept you think should apply to harness racing eljay. I know your being facetious  but over thinking things to put on a ridiculous biased spin while ignoring the blatantly obvious seems to be a fault of humans.

Proof of the pudding.....................