RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Catalano

A bit of leg

12 hours ago, Huey said:

I find a number of the Showcasing stock seem to throw a bit of leg. Might be just the ones I've seen but they mostly  seem leggy types to me.

Maybe the ones that you have seen are out of nice big rangy mares, as a general rule Showcasing's are definitely not leggy and are small/medium size sprinting types and he definitely isn't a leggy/scopey horse himself. Mark Chitty at Stallion parades has always been quite vocal in saying that small mares aren't the types to send to Showcasing given his size and the type of progeny he generally leaves. The progeny can run though, very handy proven stallion at a good price.

I have a S/C weanling from a medium size mare - the mare is certainly not heavy boned in any way.  The S/C filly is going to furnish into a lovely type....at this stage has plenty of leg/scope to her.  Her first foal was by Dalghar, smallish....now developing beautifully...so who knows?  We can only plan matings on the basis of producing a race horse for the racetrack...and that's where it counts...

4 hours ago, Catalano said:

What about Zed? Is he leaving good-sized types? Given that my mare is out of a Sir Tristram mare, would Zed work, or is it too close up?

With that combo my concern would be temperament ... but of course if your mare is a real honey you might be right .... 

Nothing's for sure and there are exceptions to every rule ... but some combinations must shorten the odds of exposing certain traits I guess ..

Good luck Catalano!  My challenge to you is to re-visit this thread way waaaay down the track and post a photo of your lovely LEGGY filly or colt!  I'd look forward to that :)

All the best to you - and all the other cafers who are breeding this year,  Jess. 

On 03/08/2017 at 4:26 PM, Catalano said:

What about Zed? Is he leaving good-sized types? Given that my mare is out of a Sir Tristram mare, would Zed work, or is it too close up?

I sent an 15.3 Stocky Ekraar mare to Zed and now have a very leggy near 16 hands 3vyear gelding by Zed.

Haven't looked at your mares breeding.

Be cafeful with sir inbreeding as there wete quite afew with funny front legs not the tidest examples and some of the fillys had stable names like spinner.. mad lucy etc :)

On 8/2/2017 at 10:00 PM, Huey said:

I find a number of the Showcasing stock seem to throw a bit of leg. Might be just the ones I've seen but they mostly  seem leggy types to me.

Bugger the one I bought as a weanling is a midget now 3 yrs old. Typical of my buying :) The Power filly I have is very leggy .

1 hour ago, puha said:

Bugger the one I bought as a weanling is a midget now 3 yrs old. Typical of my buying :) The Power filly I have is very leggy .

You never know Puha - could turn out to be a pocket rocket!  If it's fast enough it's big enough!

All the best ........ J.

On 02/08/2017 at 3:11 PM, Catalano said:

Who is the best sire in NZ to add a bit of size? 

I have a very stocky Pentire mare.

Highly Recommended had some very leggy yearlings at last year's sales at Karaka.  Liked them.

On ‎4‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, Catalano said:

So after considering Jakkalberry and Zed, and taking a look at Showcasing, and omitting the higher priced ones (Mongolian Khan etc), I ended up booking Ekraar :)

I also have a mare going to Ekraar, viewed him yesterday, very pleased, lovely temperament, good type, looking great. Saw some nice scopey fillies by him too.

I hope you people breeding to Ekraar are hoping for a filly and are intending to race her as with an once of luck you could get one out of the top draw, Group 1 or Group 2 easily on the cards. 

I am not so sure though about a colt as stats in that direction are the absolute opposite to those of the female results. 

Good luck either way. 

Yes Insider, hoping for a filly to race. I was surprised to find how many of Ekraar's male stock have been sold to Asia and Aus. in recent years. I also met the owners of an Ekraar gelding which is racing in aus, having had 4 wins over there (not Sat. city standard, but still good money), and looking on the NZ TB site it shows no sign of him being in aus, let alone winning over there so the stats may be a bit deceptive at times.

23 minutes ago, Treat said:

Be quite happy with a "Krase"!

Pretty handy jumper he is, good luck with your mating

Was more emphasising a point in regards to statistics, so far from 220 Colts/Geldings to race Ekraar is yet to sire a Group winner, has sired 4 top class G1 winning filly/mares though!