RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mckenzie

NZ First Racing Policies

I have been surprised at the lack of political discussion on here with the election just over a month away. What are Race Cafers thoughts were on the NZ First racing policies? If they hold the balance of power following the election it could be an interesting time. I couldn't find the other parties policies on racing, NZF featured racing on their menu alongside the other big ticket topics. 

Their ten point plan:

• Return a greater proportion of industry taxation to the racing codes.
  • Introduce a new (below Premier Meeting) category of meeting where every race will be for $15,000 minimum, with relativity across the codes.
  • Enhance employment and export opportunities by working with the industry to improve the international status of New Zealand Group 1 races to attract greater international interest.
  • Restore marque racing plans and prize money initiatives in line with New Zealand First policy implementation 2005 –2008
  • Return New Zealand racing to what it was good at. Racing needs breeding programmes to re-establish New Zealand as a first tier country in racing. That means policies assisting importation of quality mares, and properly using the sire cost write down.
  • Urgently review the operations and costs of the New Zealand Racing Board
  • Continue to support projects and initiatives, e.g. the Racing Safety Development Fund (a contestable fund of $1.5 million per annum, matching dollar for dollar contributions from racing clubs) that enhances safety and improves the quality of facilities in the racing industry, including the safety of riders, handlers, spectators, officials and others involved in racing codes, as well as the health and safety of animals.
  • Direct IRD and Treasury to respect the spirit of the laws passed to assist racing so we do not have specious departmental interpretations of laws that are clear to the industry.
  • Further improve the appeal of the racing industry to a wider audience by encouraging the promotion of “family-friendly” activities in conjunction with race meetings in all codes.
  • Defend the historic, modest share of the racing industry, to lawful gambling proceeds, against unreasonable attacks.

Thoughts? 

I said in the past on this site that the racing industry needs a government that will support the industry. The best racing minister we have had over the past years has been Winston Peters, I believe that he would see through the phonies that are the current NZRB in 5 minutes and sort it out. The other parties haven't even considered a racing policy, they do not seem to understand that it is one of the largest employers in NZ and the amount of dollars it generates, although IRD, ACC, OSH, all seem understand ok.

Go NZ First.

whilst Winston is NZ racings best friend, or could be.  Truth is if you vote for him, you are also effectively voting for a Labour/Greens government.

I say this because he will only work with whatever part offers him a cabinet position, and National definitely wont.  Labour and Greens are desperate, and in spite of greens saying they wont work within an inch of Winston, im sure they would if they had a realisitic chance of forming a govt.

This is my biggest worry with this election.  Im normally a National voter, but in protest will not vote for them this year, but Winston is the only good opposition in my view we currently have in parliament.  It scares me though that a vote for Winston, is potentially a vote for a labour/greens/nz first

That's a very loose and flexible racing policy, lots of promises but no fine print.

It's interesting that he seems to blend and confuse the breeding and racing industries, I can't quite work out why he's doing that !!

Given Winston's history though you can expect him to support the industry if he does become a part of a coalition.

19 hours ago, Varro said:

whilst Winston is NZ racings best friend, or could be.  Truth is if you vote for him, you are also effectively voting for a Labour/Greens government.

I say this because he will only work with whatever part offers him a cabinet position, and National definitely wont.  Labour and Greens are desperate, and in spite of greens saying they wont work within an inch of Winston, im sure they would if they had a realisitic chance of forming a govt.

This is my biggest worry with this election.  Im normally a National voter, but in protest will not vote for them this year, but Winston is the only good opposition in my view we currently have in parliament.  It scares me though that a vote for Winston, is potentially a vote for a labour/greens/nz first

I disagree mate, he's probably more likely to work with National than anything involving the Greens. If current polling is correct ( and it's normally a bit understated for NZ first compared to election day) then he is going to have between 15-20mps. National will defiantly offer cabinet posts ( or roles as a minister outside cabinet) if it's the difference between keeping power or giving it up. Of course National may not need him to form a majority or he may chose not to work with either party and sit on the cross benches.

6 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

I disagree mate, he's probably more likely to work with National than anything involving the Greens. If current polling is correct ( and it's normally a bit understated for NZ first compared to election day) then he is going to have between 15-20mps. National will defiantly offer cabinet posts ( or roles as a minister outside cabinet) if it's the difference between keeping power or giving it up. Of course National may not need him to form a majority or he may chose not to work with either party and sit on the cross benches.

I wont be caught twice!...shot myself in the foot last election voting Winston who went it alone/shacked up with national.

Would love him to be in charge of racing and being a working man would like to see him form a (syndicate)

with labour, the Greens and the Maori party so most people are represented and break the National stronghold.

For some reason or another, the minor parties dont see it that way, like Winston, and wont give voters direction

on who they will form alliances with. (circus if you ask me)