RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

The secret diary of Winston Peters

by SB 

winston-peters-bill-english-jacinda-arde

Monday

Dear Diary

there is something quite challenging about taking on the role of a Grandfather in a young person’s life.

At this age, it doesn’t take much to keep them distracted. Shiny new things and a gentle push in the direction I want them to go is often all that is required.

When I am not babysitting I am dreaming about being Prime Minister.

I can’t believe that it took this long but it will make achieving my goal even sweeter. The only thing better than finally becoming PM was seeing the look on Bill English’s face when he realised that I had accepted Cindy’s offer. Priceless!

Right, that’s enough work for today I’m off to the Green Parrot.

Tuesday

Dear Diary

I learned early on that it is important to make a young one feel good about herself. That is why I let her win when we first played a game together. She was so thrilled and ran away to tell her parents the exciting news.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to pretend to lose? I had a winning hand but I never showed her all my cards. The little sweetheart actually believed that her pair of twos is why I gave her all the poker chips. Well, not all exactly but what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her LOL.

What time is it?

I thought so, it is Green Parrot o’clock.

Wednesday

Dear Diary

I am counting down the days now to the birth of Cindy’s baby. I suspect I will be the only person not surprised when it arrives a lot earlier than anticipated. It’s funny how Cindy has to go into Labour in order for me to take over Labour (snort.)

Right, that’s enough work for today I’m off to the Green Parrot.

Thursday

Dear Diary

I am going to be one of the most stylish and professional looking Prime Ministers ever.

I have always dressed for the job that I wanted rather than the job I had.

I think young Cindy wants to be a suburban housewife.

Having the right name helps. Imagine if Mum had called me Barney (shudder) There is no future in politics for a Barney or a Cindy but Winston is a name that instils trust and respect! The little old ladies love me.

I’d teach the young one how to dress but I can’t see us spending much more time together in the near future.

Damn my glass is empty.

Right, time for my meeting at the Green Parrot.

Friday

Dear Diary I feel like a drink I’ll catch you later.

right, I’m back. have i ever told you how much you mean to me? you are the best diary…

you are going to be the Prime Minister’s diary soon.

Hush now little diary, come closer i wanna tell you something

Do you wanna know what my plans are?

well, you’ll have to wait until it’s announced the same as everyone else, and frankly, it’s none of your business how many whiskeys i had!

I’m sorry, i shouldn’t have said that.

Okay, i will, tell you but only a little bit.

I am not going to have to babysit little Cindy much longer. The silly sausage thinks she will be coming back after having her sprog but i have got news for her and it is all bad ha ha…

no more Mr nice Grandpa.

The young one thinks like a Checker player when I was playing Chess all along.

And it's only going to get worse.

Pumped up

by Christie

petrol-pump.jpeg

I went to the gas station to fill up yesterday, as I do every week. I have to admit that I don’t pay a lot of attention to fuel prices, but I had noticed that I seem to be paying a bit more for a fill than I did a few weeks ago. Could this be right? So I checked the price at the pump: $2.26 for unleaded petrol. This can’t be, right? Wellington hasn’t been hit with regional fuel taxes yet, has it? Isn’t that only Auckland? Has that even happened yet? What is going on? This from Stuff: Quote:

Petrol prices are within touching distance of an all-time high, following the third increase in just over a week.

At stations in Wellington, Christchurch and many parts of the country where competition is limited, the price of regular petrol is currently 2.259 a litre.

It is the highest pump price since July 2013, when petrol prices hit 2.269 a litre. End quote

Hang on a minute. Petrol prices back in 2013 were the result of very high oil prices but oil is only about US$70 a barrel at present, so only about half the barrel price of five years ago. Quote:

The latest increase appeared to be led by Z Energy, which also supplies the Caltex stations, with prices rising by 3c a litre on Sunday afternoon. On Monday some BP stations appeared to match the increased in Wellington and Christchurch.

Z Energy blamed the recent increases on a fall in the value of the New Zealand dollar at the same time as the price of oil has risen.

“The New Zealand dollar is at its lowest point against the US dollar since December last year,” a spokeswoman said.

“Brent crude oil continues to climb, the highest it’s been since November 2014, on the back of geopolitical concerns and the US quitting the Iran deal and reinstating sanctions.” End quote.

Still only $70 a barrel though. And yes, the Kiwi dollar has dropped back a bit.  In December last year unleaded petrol cost $2.10, and the exchange rate for US dollars was $0.71. Now it is $0.69. How does that justify a 16-cent increase in the cost of a litre of fuel? It doesn’t, of course, but that is not my biggest concern.

Let me recap. Oil is US$70 a barrel. The US/NZD exchange rate has dropped about 2.5%. And the regional fuel taxes don’t hit until at least July. So, by July, if nothing else changes, 91 octane fuel will be $2.36 a litre.

What if the oil price rises further, or the dollar drops further, or both? There is no point in speculating about this. We all know what is going to happen. Fuel prices are about to go through the roof.

I won’t say I don’t care for my own purposes, because I do. But I really care for all those Labour voters who thought this government would make their lives better. People on low incomes who are already struggling. This will be an enormous body blow to them.

I know you can’t blame the government for everything, but we definitely can blame the government for this. As fuel prices go up, the price of everything goes up. We are about to be hit with significant inflation and, once again, as it always does, it will hit the poor hardest.

The National government were recognised as business friendly, but even they, in the form of Judith Collins, tried to rein in the oil companies on the issue of price gouging. I really don’t see Megan Woods pulling off a miracle when the government have seen fit to increase fuel prices for their own purposes. In fact, the government have effectively given the fuel companies carte blanche to do what they like. After all, if the government see fit to increase fuel prices, why shouldn’t the oil companies do the same?

We may be about to see inflation hit 10% for the first time in well over a decade. Strap yourselves in, guys. Things are about to get really bad. My sympathy goes to the ones in our society who are struggling already. They have no idea what is about to hit them.

More to do on poverty, but after they help rich kids at university first

by CS 

jacinda1.jpg

Jacinda Ardern is saying the government need to do more on poverty and they plan to do so. Radio NZ reports: Quote:

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the government has more work to do when it comes to helping the country’s poorest families.

The Child Poverty Action Group has raised concerns about the $5.5 billion families package not doing enough for the children of the worst-off families.

The group wanted benefit sanctions removed for families where there are children, as well as changes to the amount of money beneficiaries could earn before their payments were docked.

But there was no action on that in the Budget.  

Economics spokesperson Susan St John said people working on the front line with those families were seeing a growing amount of distress.

“Many families simply do not have enough to eat and that is not good enough for a developed country,” she said.

Ms Ardern said the poorest families would have more money in their pockets through the families package, which kicks in on 1 July.

That was only a first step, she said.

“We’re now undertaking a piece of work around the way our welfare system works and I do expect to see further recommendations off the back of that too.End quote.

First, though, they have to help rich kids at university, and plow a billion dollars into foreign affairs and subsidising sexy horses.

Once that is all taken care of then they can help the poor.

Jacinda Ardern stated her entire reason for being in politics was to alleviate poverty yet, by every measure since becoming prime minister and being in a position where she can actually make a difference, she has failed. She has preferred rich kids over poor kids, preferred diplomats over poor kids, sexy horses over child poverty and virtue signalling over substance. She’s closed well-performing charter schools out of spite and ideology, despite posing for selfies with kids from those same schools. She won’t front them and she won’t meet them and tell them why she’s closed their schools. She said she’d visit Taranaki the week after she returned from meeting the Queen… and seems to have lost the map to get there or can’t programme the GPS in her Tesla.

If she was a bloke we’d say she is all mouth and no trousers. Her sloganeering is becoming tiresome.

Phil Twyford really is a special kind of stupid

by CS

phil-twyford-getty.jpg

Phil Twyford really does like showing us his special kind of stupid. Radio NZ reports: Quote:

Treasury is wrong in halving its forecast of the early impact of the Kiwibuild programme, Housing Minister Phil Twyford says.

Treasury expects the government’s building programme to add $2.5 billion to the economy over five years, with its real contribution coming later than previously forecast.

Mr Twyford said a higher forecast from the Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment was much more in tune with the construction industry.

Treasury have made a number of highly questionable assumptions,

“It’s almost a hypothetical or academic exercise trying to model the effect on overall residential investment. I think they’re simply wrong and it’s unfortunate.”

National housing spokesperson Judith Collins said Treasury’s forecast meant KiwiBuild would contribute “half as much to the building of new houses as Mr Twyford has spent years claiming”.

“He’s arrogantly said all those experts are wrong and he’s right.

“In the last few weeks alone Mr Twyford has been forced to admit he won’t build the number of houses he promised, he won’t build them for the total cost he claimed and he won’t be able to sell them for the price he promised.

“To make matters worse, confidence in the residential construction sector is waning because the government is making it harder to find skilled tradespeople to build the houses as well as to get the credit to pay for the houses.”

Treasury also forecast Budget surpluses to rise gradually, from an improved $3.7 billion in the year ended 30 June, 2018, to $7.3bn in 2022.

It has forecast net debt to fall to 19.1 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) by 2022.

It expected growth would rise from 2.8 percent in the June 2018 year to peak at 3.6 percent in late 2019 before easing back to 2.5 percent by 2022 due to rising interest rates and slowing jobs growth. End quote.

In his interview with TVNZ he made one especially stupid statement: Quote:

A major stoush has broken out between the Housing Minister and Treasury with Phil Twyford slamming some of those working at the Government’s lead economic and financial adviser as “kids.”

That’s after Treasury downgraded its forecast over how much extra housing investment Kiwibuild will deliver to the economy.

Builders are under the pump and construction is being delayed on some new houses by at least a year.

“We’re really busy as an industry and just forever I get reports of builders wanting more and more people. And they’re just not available, so we’re in a pretty chronic position currently,” Grant Florence of the NZ Certified Builders Association told 1 NEWS.

It has prompted Treasury to downgrade its forecasts for the Government’s Kiwibuild programme.

“I just think some of these kids in Treasury are just fresh out of university and they’re completely disconnected from reality,” Mr Twyford said.

National’s housing spokesperson Judith Collins said her experience is “you should always listen to Treasury”.

“They’re not always going to be exactly the way they see things, but ultimately they’re looking at it from a dispassionate point of view and independent point of view,” she said.

Before Christmas, Treasury said Kiwibuild would result in $5.4 billion of extra residential investment by 2022.

Now it has slashed that number in half, saying some of that investment won’t happen as quickly.

“One of the mistakes I think Treasury have made is that they’ve assumed that the investment has to be made before the houses are built,” Mr Twyford said.

The Government has also promised to build 1600 state houses a year.

Currently there are almost 8000 households in need of state housing and National says it would have built more.

“National went into the last election promising over 6,000 state houses over the next three years. So we were promising on 2000 a year,” Ms Collins said.

Mr Twyford said: “The opposition had nine years and they allowed the housing crisis to spin out of control.”

The Government is promising there’s no change in its plan to build more houses, and there will still be 100,000 affordable homes in a decade. End quote.

What an utter moron. Abusing civil servants is one of the first signs that you aren’t coping. Then uttering stupid statements like his one on investment just proves that you are under pressure, don’t understand your portfolio and are losing the argument.

Phil Twyford is the government’s biggest risk right now. He also needs to get some body language coaching to try to cover up when he is lying.

I’m not sure abusing Treasury officials is particularly smart. All he has done is show that when under pressure the Labour party return to form as the Nasty party.

Jacinda proves she is a silly little girl by attacking treasury too

by CS 

jacinda1.jpg

Jacinda Arden has shown how silly she is by attacking treasury for advice on Phil Twyford’s forlorn KiwiBuild project: Quote:

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says her housing minister was wrong to call Treasury officials “kids”but has sided with him in disagreeing with their view that the Government’s Kiwibuild promises are too ambitious.

But rather than get personal, the Government would “just get on and build houses” to prove Treasury wrong, Ardern said. End quote.

Good luck with that. Seven months down the track and all Twyford has done is relabel some houses started under National. Not a single new house has been built or planned. Quote:

Housing Minister Phil Twyford last week slammed the “kids at Treasury” over an analysis that halved the impact Kiwbuild would have on residential construction, which contradicted a sunnier forecast from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

In the Budget documentation on Thursday, Treasury analysts reduced the amount of additional residential investment they believe the Government’s flagship Kiwibuild policy will bring in by 2023, down from $5.4b in December to $2.5b last week.

The prediction does not point to the number of homes actually being built, but does look into the value of additional residential investment as part of the home-building scheme – value that mostly comes from actual home construction.

Twyford called Treasury “kids” who were “fresh out of university and they’re completely disconnected from reality”.

Ardern said she and Finance Minister Grant Robertson also disagreed with Treasury over its Kiwibuild forecasts.

“In fact MBIE take a different view from Treasury and that’s not unusual … we often have two government departments with competing views.

“One of the things Treasury hasn’t taken into account, for instance … some of the elements of Kiwibuild which include buying off the plans so there are some different mechanisms they’ve used to make those forecasts.” End quote.

Treasury are pretty smart. Attacking them like this shows how much pressure the government are under. Quote:

Twyford’s comments have upset public sector union the PSA. Its national secretary, Glenn Barclay, said it was disappointed by the minister’s “personalised” comments.

“It is public servants’ job to give free, frank and fearless advice to politicians. Sometimes, this will involve giving those politicians advice they do not like – but that is their role in ensuring an open and transparent democracy,” Barclay said.

“The age of the public servants who prepared this advice is irrelevant, as their work is endorsed by their Department – in this case, Treasury. We would hope the Minister reflects on this incident and chooses not to take this tack in the future.” End quote.

It is poor form, especially considering that when in opposition Labour’s then leader, Andrew Little, attacked Gerry Brownlee for criticising treasury: Quote:

Labour Party leader Andrew Little has called Mr Brownlee arrogant for dismissing the report.

Treasury produced “considered reports” that provided options to ministers, he said.

“It is totally wrong and arrogant in my view for a minister of Gerry Brownlee’s seniority to be dismissing that work in the way that he has.” End quote.

Maybe Jacinda might like to have a chat with Andrew Little about her and Twyford’s arrogance.

Hosking on Twyford

by CS

phil-twyford-getty.jpg?w=635&ssl=1

Mike Hosking thinks Phil Twyford is a bit of a knob: Quote:

Poor old Phil Twyford had quite the week last week. He’s replacing Clare Curran as the minister most likely to get sacked.

In the early days, I was one of the few pointing out that the KiwiBuild program was a farce if not a fraud. The numbers didn’t add up, didn’t come close to adding up. Six months on, I am now one of many who sees this as the charade it was always was.

If you follow the story, you’ll find no shortage these days of commentary from those who have crunched the numbers, seen the shift in the promises, the change in the language, and have come to the inevitable conclusion that this is the policy that might ultimately bring the Government done.

Why? It’s their biggest promise, and it’s been run by a bloke who is a liability. End quote.

A big liability. Quote:

Phone calls on planes goes to personality. It takes a type of person to conduct himself in that fashion, there is a flagrant arrogance about it, a disagreeable self-importance.

He damaged himself further by referring to the ‘kids’ in treasury. The same personality type applies to that level of condescension.

Neither of the offences leads to hanging, but they are a clue, a red flag. What treasury was saying is true; Twyford’s number have had the look of snake oil about them the whole time.

100,000 houses magicked up over 10 years using the same small pot of money over and over. The affordable figure isn’t even remotely affordable, and a figure that’s going up, making it even less affordable

The Government buying stakes in houses, using money they were going to build with because no one’s got the coin to buy them by themselves. No real acknowledgement that the construction sector’s overworked before Phil’s houses even get started, against a backdrop of a promise of 30,000 cut in immigration.

It’s been smokes and mirrors, a classic piece of political puffery dreamt up in an election campaign to fool the economically naive to think a  government can manipulate as large as housing markets with money they don’t have and labour they don’t have with prices they pulled out of a cornflakes packet. The Commerce Commission should be looking at it for fraud.

And the trouble with it all is apart from the fundamentals is the politic bit.  Policies need to be sold. Now, you can’t fault Phil for enthusiasm, but you can fault him for fact, for approach, for attitude, and it’s the attitude, the phone calls, the insults, the telling offs from the leader, that make a virtually impossible job even harder because he’s coming across as a knob.

And the Government can’t afford it’s biggest bit of work to be run a ruin by the sort of bloke who’s fast becoming the most disagreeable man in politics. End quote.

This new "evidence" on P houses is interesting. 

On 5/17/2018 at 10:24 AM, rdytdy said:

And it's only going to get worse.

Pumped up

by Christie

petrol-pump.jpeg

I went to the gas station to fill up yesterday, as I do every week. I have to admit that I don’t pay a lot of attention to fuel prices, but I had noticed that I seem to be paying a bit more for a fill than I did a few weeks ago. Could this be right? So I checked the price at the pump: $2.26 for unleaded petrol. This can’t be, right? Wellington hasn’t been hit with regional fuel taxes yet, has it? Isn’t that only Auckland? Has that even happened yet? What is going on? This from Stuff: Quote:

Petrol prices are within touching distance of an all-time high, following the third increase in just over a week.

At stations in Wellington, Christchurch and many parts of the country where competition is limited, the price of regular petrol is currently 2.259 a litre.

It is the highest pump price since July 2013, when petrol prices hit 2.269 a litre. End quote

Hang on a minute. Petrol prices back in 2013 were the result of very high oil prices but oil is only about US$70 a barrel at present, so only about half the barrel price of five years ago. Quote:

The latest increase appeared to be led by Z Energy, which also supplies the Caltex stations, with prices rising by 3c a litre on Sunday afternoon. On Monday some BP stations appeared to match the increased in Wellington and Christchurch.

Z Energy blamed the recent increases on a fall in the value of the New Zealand dollar at the same time as the price of oil has risen.

“The New Zealand dollar is at its lowest point against the US dollar since December last year,” a spokeswoman said.

“Brent crude oil continues to climb, the highest it’s been since November 2014, on the back of geopolitical concerns and the US quitting the Iran deal and reinstating sanctions.” End quote.

Still only $70 a barrel though. And yes, the Kiwi dollar has dropped back a bit.  In December last year unleaded petrol cost $2.10, and the exchange rate for US dollars was $0.71. Now it is $0.69. How does that justify a 16-cent increase in the cost of a litre of fuel? It doesn’t, of course, but that is not my biggest concern.

Let me recap. Oil is US$70 a barrel. The US/NZD exchange rate has dropped about 2.5%. And the regional fuel taxes don’t hit until at least July. So, by July, if nothing else changes, 91 octane fuel will be $2.36 a litre.

What if the oil price rises further, or the dollar drops further, or both? There is no point in speculating about this. We all know what is going to happen. Fuel prices are about to go through the roof.

I won’t say I don’t care for my own purposes, because I do. But I really care for all those Labour voters who thought this government would make their lives better. People on low incomes who are already struggling. This will be an enormous body blow to them.

I know you can’t blame the government for everything, but we definitely can blame the government for this. As fuel prices go up, the price of everything goes up. We are about to be hit with significant inflation and, once again, as it always does, it will hit the poor hardest.

The National government were recognised as business friendly, but even they, in the form of Judith Collins, tried to rein in the oil companies on the issue of price gouging. I really don’t see Megan Woods pulling off a miracle when the government have seen fit to increase fuel prices for their own purposes. In fact, the government have effectively given the fuel companies carte blanche to do what they like. After all, if the government see fit to increase fuel prices, why shouldn’t the oil companies do the same?

We may be about to see inflation hit 10% for the first time in well over a decade. Strap yourselves in, guys. Things are about to get really bad. My sympathy goes to the ones in our society who are struggling already. They have no idea what is about to hit them.

$2.29 up North now. Amazing how the petrol companies can jack up the price immediately on some overseas event, despite the new oil prices not kicking until they buy it. The existing stocks should last for some time so why the increase now....?

Total gouging. And the Government say nothing, just pocket the revenue.

If a politician says they are sticking with something, then the policy has the wobbles

by CS

phil-twyford-getty.jpg?w=635&ssl=1

When a politician and prime minister is having to justify sticking with a policy, before it has even delivered a single house then you know the policy is in tatters.

The NZ Herald reports:

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is sticking by her Government’s KiwiBuild programme, despite the Salvation Army today saying reports showing it may not deliver is creating uncertainty for families.

“Recent reports from Treasury and the chief executive of New Zealand Certified Builders indicating the programme may not be able to deliver the housing required creates uncertainty for families who see KiwiBuild as their path to homeownership,” the Salvation Army said.

“In the middle of the worst housing crisis New Zealand has faced in at least two generations, such uncertainty has an adverse impact on affected households. Kiwi families need to have certainty about Government plans to provide the level of housing required in the next five to 10 years.”

The Salvation Army called for the Government to set up an expert group to deliver the required number of KiwiBuild houses quickly at an affordable cost for families who need them.

Government departments are not presently well equipped to direct the KiwiBuild programme,” the organisation said in a statement.

Ardern denied the policy was doomed to fail.

“The alternative is do nothing and continue to having a declining home ownership rate and I don’t accept that.”

She said KiwiBuild was ambitious and no government had tried to bridge the gap in the affordable housing market as hers was doing.

National’s housing spokeswoman Judith Collins said it was time for Housing Minister Phil Twyford to face the facts.

“You’ve had builders, academics, the Treasury, Reserve Bank, MBIE, economists and media commentators all pointing out the serious flaws in his policy, and saying the Government won’t deliver on its promises, in spite of Phil’s ‘Hear No Evil’ approach to his responsibilities.

And today it’s the Salvation Army urging Phil to accept he’s not up to it and calling on the Government to bring in the experts to deliver more houses,” she said in a statement.

Twyford isn’t up to the task. Everyone is telling him he’s got it wrong and it won’t work, but he blunders on. Bless.

It is good to know that Jacinda Ardern has denied the policy is doomed to fail. We can hold her to that too.

The destruction of Phil Twyford promises to be long, tortured and bloody. Excellent.

How convenient that Gluckman has now come out to tell us that P houses were fine all along. Why now ? Why not before ?

And sitting next to him is Twat Twyford basking in the revelations. 240 more houses you can use now eh Phil....?? Lovely....

Do we believe this stuff or not...just how robust are these "findings"....??

A world captured by hysteria. Asbestos another example--no problem if you are not cutting it, grinding it, or generally handling it. See 25 train carriages going to the tip (goons in full protective suits no doubt getting paid megabucks to supervise the trip) because there is believed to be asbestos nicely tucked away in the carriage walls!! Asbestos is not a volatile liquid or gas FFS.

Expect sulphur dioxide from farting to be the next major health hazard.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Asbestos is a pretty horrible substance though Chevy, ask anyone suffering from breathing it in. Lead based paint is another.

Totally agree O'man, but that only applies to workers manipulating the product for some time, not asbestos buried, contained, or rendered inert via encapsulation. Same with lead paint--dangerous in retrospect to painters and kids licking load paint on toys maybe.

My old bungalow is 100 + years old,  asbestos in the walls/ceiling plaster.   No problems for any of the residents over the years - however a bit of a hiccup wrt earthquake repairs which could have cost thousands as unidentified by the builders who were to oversee repairs.

So they were told to bugger off and no problems since.

If I ever wished to 'do up' the old girl,  yes, could be a mission,  but I can't afford to so no need to stress about it.

A school teacher does what Andrew Little failed to do, some research on ‘Three Strikes’

by CS

Andrew-Little.jpg?w=1094&ssl=1

Andrew Little has claimed that ‘three strikes’ doesn’t work, yet has produced no evidence to suggest this is true.

A school teacher does what Andrew Little failed to do, some research on ‘Three Strikes’. He writes in his email which was sent to many politicians across the political spectrum and also to many news outlets, none of which has produced the sort of analysis that he has provided. Quote:

Good Evening NZ Media, Prime Minister, Politicians, Invested People etc.

Firstly my name is Mark Ross, I’m a 35 year old Social Science & PE teacher at Mackenzie College in South Canterbury.  You may use my name if you so choose.

Last year I asked The Ministry of Justice (Department of Corrections and New Zealand Police) for various information related to the 3 Strikes Legislation in an Official Information Request after reading a story featuring Justice Minister Andrew Little where he stated “It’s been eight years since this got onto the statute books and it’s not making a blind bit of difference“.

In my brain I thought to myself, that sounds like complete “bollocks”.

Basically, after the OIA request results came in from some pretty basic questions (attached), I don’t think in the history of this country has a policy worked better than this one.

Quick Points to note from the attached information /data . (All Attached below in full)

1st time warnings for qualifying offenses has remained the same for 5 years pre and post 3 strikes legislation

2nd time offenders decreased by 34% compared to when 3 strikes didn’t exist.

Between 1 June 2010 and 31 May 2017 there were;

• 1st strike offenders: 8,050
  • 2nd strike offenders: 113
  • 3rd strike offenders: 2

Percentage of offenders with one warning getting a second (re-offending): 1.4%

Re-offending rate before 3 Strikes policy for same type offenses:  (40% average  re-offending rate, re-imprisoned at average of around 23%)

Percentage chance of 1st strike offenders receiving a 3rd strike :  0.0248%

I’d say nothing in history has worked better in reducing repeat violent and sexual offenders than this policy, in reducing the number of victims.

Mr Little stated that “”I think there is an acceptance now that it just doesn’t work“.

I suggest he looks at the statistics, it shows that the message is sinking in that this warning (Particularly 2 and 3) work to reduce re-offending.

He could also track down the victim of some disgusting human being from our country that would of had 4 warnings if this policy was in place the 5 years prior what they think, to see if his attitude of it not working would remain the same.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts and the statistics/ evidence that I actually have sort out to back up those thoughts, unlike the Minister of Justice that appears to be going on gut feelings, no statistics and terrible advice from somewhere; maybe Facebook.

Kind Regards.

Mark Ross
Fairlie
South Canterbury. End quote.

As you can see from Mark Ross’ letter and from the OIA responses, it appears that ‘Three Strikes’ works and works well, if only the soft judges would let it.

It also shows that Andrew Little doesn’t understand a single thing about the legislation and is intent on Labour becoming the preferred party of the criminal classes.

Given the intent of the government to have 1800 more police on the streets, and they have a ‘catch and release’ criminal justice policy, one wonders just what precisely these new police are actually going to be doing?

NZ First has a real dilemma on their hands because they’ve supported a ‘three strikes’ policy in the past and have a tough on crime reputation. Winston Peters could shore up support for his party by rejecting Andrew Little’s law changes. Other wise he may well watch his core voters disappear in a cloud of outrage.

On 5/31/2018 at 6:36 AM, poundforpound said:

Mycoplasma Bovis is the biggest fraud of all time.

It’s a simple anaerobic bacteria, not a virus as the media describe it.

It doesn’t pose a risk to humans, both meat and milk from infected cows are 100% safe.

Every country in the world except one has M Bovis in their cattle herds, and their cattle are happy and healthy.

NZ imports meat from those countries with endemic M Bovis cattle and no one is at risk or has ever suffered as a result.

The media are ignorant hysterical alarmists, and the public is extraordinarily gullible.

One year it’s swine flu, then Asian bird flu....now it’s M Bovis.....what is it about us that requires a scary epidemic every year ?

yknow P4P... i think we might actually have a common ground to stand on, and i do believe there is something fishy going on with this supposed Bovine outbreak......

if there is deception going on.... some questions you can ask....

1 Who is pushing this narrative, who are the sources of information, can they be trusted? are their multiple independant sources? are there any independant voices who disaagree(Check) with the findings?

2 where is the road leading to, and is the end a Good or Bad resultant for the body in question

3 who would benefit from the End-point of the Road

4 what would the motivation be for the number3question to carry out number2question

5 minutes ago, Uriah Heap said:

Why is a discussion on the action to eradicate Mycoplasma Bovis under the "Jacinda Ardern" thread?

Is Jacinda not concerned about it?

1 minute ago, poundforpound said:

Please....we don’t have any common ground .... I’m just stating facts derived from my scientific background...you on the other hand seem to quote anything but, using such diverse sources as the bible and Donald Trump.

i have come to learn the patterns of deception... and as such i neednt be a scientist to recognise something amiss...

but as i said... you and i share a common ground that there is something amiss with the Bovine outbreak