RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

Green party gangster deals do not develop new technologies

Screen-Shot-2018-04-12-at-8.25.02-PM.png

Credit: BoomSlang

Since our government announced that offshore hydrocarbons are off limits, I have found myself in a confused state due to the sheer enormity of this debacle and the breadth and depth of the short, medium and long-term impacts. I was flummoxed and speechless.

My brief history in this field is as follows: I have had a level of involvement in the oil and gas sector from 1987 to 2012. This has included being a supplier and contractor to New Zealand oil and gas projects such as Kupe, Waihapa, Kauri, Cheal, McKee, Radnor and Pohokura, as well as projects in Western Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, West Africa, Brazil and various renewable biogas projects in Europe.

I have always been enthusiastic about alternative fuels and part of our business from 1985 to 1988 was installing CNG and LPG stations in the North Island. I had several vehicles running on dedicated natural gas. As far as I am concerned a vehicle running on natural gas is as clean as we can currently get, including all of the hybrid and electric options with long tailpipes.

We also developed and built on existing technology for the purification of biogas from landfill gas, effluent gas and biomethane from digestors. In 2010 we were commissioning the largest plant of this type in the world in Germany. We also received the Air New Zealand export deal of the year award for building gas compressors for a Finnish company delivered to Brazil to convert three oil-fired power stations to natural gas. The majority shareholder of the company until 2012 was committed to the development of biogas above all else. He would openly say to me (and others) that the company would spend profits from oil and gas projects to further develop biogas technologies. It is with this type of dedication to a cause that new technologies are developed to better the world, and not by Green party gangster-style coalition deals. We walked the walk.

After some reflection I think that the single biggest issue here is that the international oil and gas business community and all the big players talk to each other even when in cut-throat competition. Individuals also move around the world to new jobs all the time, as well as joint venture partnerships etc. They will now see New Zealand as an unstable political environment and they will all stay well away, effective immediately.

Project spans of 25 years to life are normal. Fifteen-year operating and maintenance contracts are not unusual. One example is the 15-year Modec contract at Maari field in Taranaki, which started in 2013. If we were barely on the map before, we have now been erased for a long, long time. Thanks to the Green gangsters’ deal with the government, New Zealand is now off limits.

350px-Punishment_of_the_Paddle_1912.jpgSome will say ‘but these companies do business all over the world.’  Sure, but long-term corrupt governments can be very stable. They can do business with these countries, pay royalties and all is well. It is very clear that our government are either hell-bent on destroying New Zealand businesses and capability or they are over a Green barrel. I suspect the latter.

I can think of some obvious immediate consequences.

Recent surveys for offshore prospects: this has all been paid for over a period of time and would have cost several million dollars. I seem to remember that the vessel was contracted from Petrobras, Brazil. Very competent in deep water. They will have been paid, but who is out of pocket? That money is now a loss, not an investment. This will be known worldwide by now. The data will be on file but will be irrelevant with new technology whenever someone goes back for another look.

This is a technology game and Moores law applies at all levels of this game. Any project that gets the green light after test wells have been flow tested to get gas and oil composition data will be another five to seven years away before first oil on or first gas on for production.

As far as I am aware there are no projects getting close to this stage; there is no current offshore drilling. If there was an instruction from the government to ‘get some oil and gas now’ the answer would be ‘Sure, we will turn the tap on in approximately ten years all going well.’

New Zealand no longer has security of energy supply. Even to build import terminals for LNG would take five years. Forget on shore: there is nothing substantial that could replace Kapuni and Maui Engineering companies in Taranaki.

All of the directly involved companies have always lived in a very volatile business environment. They have done well to stay in business at all since international exploration stopped in 2008. When things started again in around 2012 it did not really translate to much work for New Zealand companies. They continue to exist on local upgrade work and some overseas consulting. I am not sure how much metal bashing is going on, but it will be subsistence work to keep the doors open and the crews employed. There will be no profit.  That can only last so long and now another kick in the guts will see staff heading overseas. And guess what? The best ones go first and they are the last ones to come back, for obvious reasons. We will lose a generation of productive workers in that region.

Our government come out with suggestions like redeploy, retrain and move into new business areas. Private companies like the clever bastards in Taranaki are good at this already and they don’t need condescending fools in Wellington to tell them. One example is Fitzroy Engineering. Some years ago they opened a division building aluminium superyachts. The staff could be welding coded steel pipes one week and then be welding aluminium hulls the next. Very different, but it could be done. The same for instrument fitters, electricians – you name it. It’s another very volatile business area with long project gestation periods, but they built some fabulous boats.

My conclusion is that this policy from our government is an unmitigated disaster. We could all list out dozens of knock-on effects and consequences. The sad fact is that they have just disembowelled a whole region for the Greens that live in a fantasy world. This will then affect the whole country in a negative way.

I am no longer involved in oil and gas so do not have any vested interests (apart from many friends) but I can now say that this coalition government have just shown an unprecedented level of stupidity. If they weren’t so pathetically stupid it would be treason. They clearly have no knowledge of what they have done. The list of knock-on effects and unintended consequences would take a week to list, let alone expand on and explain. This is a new era of stupid. My head is still spinning.

by Stacey Hoggard

2 hours ago, chevy86 said:

Ted, wonderful research you undertake on behalf of your fellow citizens.If they ever close Te Aroha down (heaven forbid) you could get a job as Ardern's press agent?:D (Just to keep her up to speed with the REAL world)

Unfortunately she wouldn't know it if realidy bit her on the bum Chevy.  

Gee Ted you really are a bitter old bugger. Get over it mate you sound just like those Trump clowns on the other forum  that cut and paste any shit they can find. You have got so desperate you are quoting that prize wanker Hoskings.

15 hours ago, bloke said:

Gee Ted you really are a bitter old bugger. Get over it mate you sound just like those Trump clowns on the other forum  that cut and paste any shit they can find. You have got so desperate you are quoting that prize wanker Hoskings.

Being fairly selective aren't you bloke. Of the 33 articles there is only two from Hoskings.

It had nothing to do with being bitter.

We are currently being governed by a virtue signaling, slogan inspired government who are completely out of their depth and that is extremely dangerous for this country. They were not prepared to govern and it shows. Even the friendly left-wing press who helped spread the fairy dust have now seen that the emperor has no clothes.

What I put up here is for people to make their own minds up and at least they are getting some very good information and insight with what is going on. You will note that Hesi has gone very, very quiet. 

Perhaps you would be happy with this scenario:

Horse-Cart-Car.img_assist_custom.jpg

Ted I was in Auckland for a week last month and it is amazing how much they must have spent on roads, highways etc which have sprung up around the city but it is still stuffed. We left on the Sunday morning after the Ed Concert (my wife went) and it took 4 hours to get from Mt Eden to Cambridge 

All the great cities of the World, Melbourne, London , Paris etc have quality public transport as part of excellent infrastructure. You will not fix Auckland  by building thousands of more roads.  

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

Luxury Ted.....we haven't got a horse up here, and the roads are goat tracks.....but Winnie and Shane will fix it......:rolleyes:

From the time of the Muldoon Government thorough to Jenny (earrings) Shipley the petrol tax was put into the consolidated fund. After 30 odd years of neglect Helen Clark and Michael Cullen made a change so that petrol tax was used how it should have been from day 1 for traffic infrastructure. Funny how Labour have been in 6 months and they are suppossed to have fixed roading  problems ignored for 9 years by the Tories.

Its good to see Ohoka that you have moved out of the Dannevirke of the South Island. 

1 hour ago, bloke said:

Ted I was in Auckland for a week last month and it is amazing how much they must have spent on roads, highways etc which have sprung up around the city but it is still stuffed. We left on the Sunday morning after the Ed Concert (my wife went) and it took 4 hours to get from Mt Eden to Cambridge 

All the great cities of the World, Melbourne, London , Paris etc have quality public transport as part of excellent infrastructure. You will not fix Auckland  by building thousands of more roads.  

And unfortunately you will not fix the problem by public transport either.      Most Aucklanders cannot go from one area of the city to another area without  transferring from one bus to another bus, and of course they do not connect so long waits can be experienced, especially at the weekends and public holidays.    People on the North side of the bridge have been told they will be contributing to Rapid Rail the same as the southerners yet there is no rail whatsoever north of the coathanger.      The city is really at crisis point transportwise due to the "she'll be right mate" attitude of the politicians past and the "buggered if I know what to do" stance of the present ones.     Aucklanders are presently saddled with taxation simply because it is the only answer the left wing can come up with, sadly though it is not an answer.      Auckland is badly laid out and present developments are not helping this, and also it's infrastructure is unable to cope with the flood of immigration the government has sanctioned.     Until the roads, the public transport, the schools, the hospitals etc. etc. etc. can handle the present mess then they should be putting up the "Sorry Full" signs!!

2 hours ago, bloke said:

From the time of the Muldoon Government thorough to Jenny (earrings) Shipley the petrol tax was put into the consolidated fund. After 30 odd years of neglect Helen Clark and Michael Cullen made a change so that petrol tax was used how it should have been from day 1 for traffic infrastructure. Funny how Labour have been in 6 months and they are suppossed to have fixed roading  problems ignored for 9 years by the Tories.

Its good to see Ohoka that you have moved out of the Dannevirke of the South Island. 

A bit harsh Blokey, Ohoka is some way ahead of places like Dannevirke.....family called so to the Winterless North we went. Lived on the North Shore for years before the Southern sojourn so not totally foreign. Loving the warm, no stress peace and the beaches up here...sophisticated it ain't but who cares.....;)

45 minutes ago, eljay said:

And unfortunately you will not fix the problem by public transport either.      Most Aucklanders cannot go from one area of the city to another area without  transferring from one bus to another bus, and of course they do not connect so long waits can be experienced, especially at the weekends and public holidays.    People on the North side of the bridge have been told they will be contributing to Rapid Rail the same as the southerners yet there is no rail whatsoever north of the coathanger.      The city is really at crisis point transportwise due to the "she'll be right mate" attitude of the politicians past and the "buggered if I know what to do" stance of the present ones.     Aucklanders are presently saddled with taxation simply because it is the only answer the left wing can come up with, sadly though it is not an answer.      Auckland is badly laid out and present developments are not helping this, and also it's infrastructure is unable to cope with the flood of immigration the government has sanctioned.     Until the roads, the public transport, the schools, the hospitals etc. etc. etc. can handle the present mess then they should be putting up the "Sorry Full" signs!!

Eljay you make some very valid points but I  wonder if they have really put in a decent effort in the past to sort Public transport.    

Well they got rid of the trams .      Installed trolley buses,    Removed trolley buses.      I remember Eden park packed to the gunwales (over 50 thou people) and the area was deserted within about 45 minutes of the final whistle.     Sure the trams ran when the roads not so congested but they could certainly move the people.       And no cycle lanes taking up so much room and money - no need for them with the trams.         Auckland's history has been bad from the beginning , and deteriorating ever since 

75 working groups in 6 months, more than houses built or trees planted

By CS

National Party Leader Simon Bridges says after just six months the Government’s tally of inquiries, reference and working groups has soared to 75 as it desperately tries to compensate for its inability to think for itself or put in the work.

After nine years in Opposition claiming they knew better, Labour, NZ First and the Greens put in so little work and came up with so few ideas they’re now outsourcing the job of running the country to consultants – wasting tens of millions of dollars in taxpayers funds in the process.

“There is now, after just six months, 75 different groups of people telling the Government what it should be doing. That’s more working groups than MPs in the entire government. End quote.

More working groups or reviews than houses built under Kiwibuild. More working groups or reviews than trees planted in the past six months: Quote:

“It’s nothing short of an abdication of its responsibility to lead and it shows how completely out of its depth the Government really is – and how willing it is to waste taxpayers money which should be invested in areas like health and education.

“What we are now certain of is when Jacinda Ardern claimed in Opposition she could slash immigration without harming New Zealand businesses, balance the books without raising taxes and build more houses she wasn’t telling the truth. They had no clue then and they have no idea now.

“What is even more concerning for New Zealanders is when this Government has implemented its own, ill-thought through ideas they’ve been bad for New Zealand.

“Raiding our regions through fuel taxes, fewer roads and pulling the plug on important irrigation projects, putting a wrecking ball through entire industries like oil and gas and slowing our economy through low-growth policies like empowering unions and slashing foreign investment.

“These do nothing but take New Zealand backwards and undermine an economy which is delivering for all New Zealanders.

“Every day this Government is proving to New Zealanders it doesn’t have the ability to run the country, the ideas to take it forward or the best interests of New Zealanders at heart.

“National won’t make the same mistake. We’re working hard in the interests of New Zealanders and we’ll be ready with plans and policies if we earn the right to govern again in 2020.” End quote.

Strong stuff from Bridges. I wonder if he can deliver though. He seems unable to pick up a telephone.

David Farrar has a handy list of the 75 working groups. At a rate of about one announcement every two and a half days, that list is likely out of date already.

Rodney Hide schools Jacinda on climate change

By CS

JamesShawJacindaArdernSignsCoalitiondKr6

Rodney Hide is another who has decided Jacinda’s Kool-Aid has gone off: Quote:

Jacinda Ardern has been in the job long enough for me to conclude she is incompetent and woefully unsuited to be prime minister.

Her hastily cobbled together press conference to announce the ban on future offshore oil and gas exploration was a trainwreck in so many ways but let me just concentrate on the announcement in pinko, greenie terms.

The prime minister said the government has a plan.

“Today we are announcing the coalition government has a plan to transition toward a carbon neutral future, one that looks 30 years in advance.”

Putting aside the wisdom of such a plan, one would conclude the government has a plan. After all, the prime minister told us it does.

But the government has no plan. There is no road map explaining how New Zealand gets from where it is now to “carbon-neutral.”

“Our plan is clear – we are committed to becoming a net zero emission economy by 2050, with an interim step of making our electricity system 100% renewable by 2035. We have also started work on how we will achieve that.”

Started work? On how to achieve that? It’s not even known if it is possible. Or the cost.

It’s a rookie greenie, pinko mistake to confuse a plan with a goal. A competent prime minister announcing a plan would actually have a plan, not just a goal, and a few action points, for example plant trees, ban exploration, set up a new quango and fund innovation.

The goal set by the prime minister is bigger than one ever before set by a government. Fossil fuels make up 60% of our energy supply. The “transition away from fossil fuels” is far bigger than the 1980s “Rogernomics,” far bigger than, say, Stalin’s forced industrialisation through the “five-year plans,” far bigger than the US putting a man on the moon.

It’s a huge undertaking. End quote.

Brutal, but accurate from Rodney. Quo

And it’s not to be any old transition such as from hunter-gatherer to farming but a “just” transition.

There won’t be upset of the sort when those old nasties closed the local post office. This transition will be smooth, it will make us rich, provide jobs, and will free us of carbon.

We will scoot about in electric cars, charge our phones with windmills, and a man will hook his bike up to power the espresso machine for our latte.

Industry will be clean and green. We will make movies, write songs and develop new apps. Farming will be high tech and organic. Heavy industry will be redundant.

After her press conference the prime minister rushed to Victoria University to gush to students. She dispatched Justice Minister Andrew Little to Taranaki to explain the ban.

By all accounts, the students were ecstatic; the people in Taranaki not so much.

Prime Minister Ardern likes to remind us climate change is her generation’s nuclear-free moment. She’s right.

That was all rhetoric too, with no plan or thought for what was to happen next, and, despite the drums and hoopla, it also achieved nothing. End quote.

Yep, not a single bomb or missile was ever dismantled because David Lange liked to hurl slogans around. No nuclear power voluntarily threw away all their weapons and no power station was shutdown because nuclear was bad. In fact, the opposite occurred. More power stations were opened and more countries developed nuclear weapons.

Just yesterday India announced it was not longer going to build a whole lot of nuclear power stations. Instead, they will use their abundant coal reserves to build hundreds of coal fired power plants. Our output in total won’t even come close to India’s carbon output from their new plants. But we have to wreck our economy to prove a spurious point?

I hope she hasn't forgotten honest Hilary and Bill Clintons foundation. 

Figures obtained by the Taxpayers’ Union under the Official Information Act show that to date Kiwi taxpayers have forked out $7.7 million to the Clinton Foundation’s “Health Access Initiative” with $2.5 million and $3 million earmarked for 2017 and 2018 respectively. 

Who cares about Middlemore and the other hospitals in NZ as long as those low lives are getting our hard earnt.

Rodney Hyde, " The Perk Buster" Challenged MPS in Parliament about their personal spending. Then he met a bimbo got cunt struck and opened up the tax payers' wallet on all,sorts of junkets for  himself and his bimbo .Gee Ted, firstly Hoskings and now Hyde. You are desperate  for sure

Brian Fallow says the exploration ban is a pointless, self-righteous policy

By CS

by Cameron Slater on April 22, 2018 at 10:30am

pohokura-034.jpg

Brian Fallow writes at the NZ Herald:

Resounding cheers greeted Jacinda Ardern and James Shaw when they went to Victoria University last Thursday to explain that morning’s announcement that no more offshore oil and gas exploration permits will be granted.

Gratifying to their ears, no doubt — but entirely undeserved.

This policy is self-righteous nimbyism, environmentally pointless, economically costly and politically counter-productive to the Government’s own agenda on climate change.

What matters for the climate is how much fossil carbon is consumed, not where it is produced. End quote.

But this government of utter spastics think we will meekly stand by while we have to pay more to overseas countries for fuels we have lying under the ground here. I fail to see why we should leave our resources in the ground while we pay billions to Saudi Arabia for their oil.  Quote:

How much is consumed needs to go to zero. Until it does, though, where it is produced does matter for the economy.

The opportunity cost of this ban — the jobs, royalties and export revenues forgone — is unknown and unlikely ever to be known given the chilling effect it will have on exploration of the existing permit areas.

What we do know is that New Zealand struggles to earn its living as a trading nation. Right now we are enjoying the best terms of trade on record, the most favourable mix of export and import prices ever.

But we still run a $3 billion trade deficit, underpinned by a net $4.5b deficit in petroleum and petroleum products. It contributes to an overall external deficit of $7.7b in 2017, which has to be financed by running up debt, or selling off assets, to the rest of the world. End quote.

What that means in simple language is that it will cost more… for no benefit. Quote:

That is another good reason, of course, to decarbonise the transport sector, the source of 13.5 per cent of the country’s greenhouse gas emissions.

But with the best will in the world, that will take years.

In the meantime we spend more than $1000 a head on imported oil. As it is a fungible commodity, to the extent New Zealand is a net consumer of oil, some of that money ends up funding the ethically dubious activities of the Iranian, Saudi and Russian governments rather than our own.

Is this a real choice, though, domestic versus imported oil?

We will never know. The Government makes much of the fact that a large area — 100,0000 square kilometres, the size of the North Island — is already covered by exploration permits and those rights are grandfathered.

The ban on issuing any more permits is a long-term signal, it says. In the meantime, “just transition” is the watchword. You will hardly feel a thing.

This elicits snorts of derision from the industry. End quote.

Industry that won’t take this lying down, one that they cannot possibly win because, as fuel prices rise and there is nothing to replace it with, people will revolt and turf them out of office. People don’t vote for slogans; they vote with their wallet in mind.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:57 PM, rdytdy said:

Rodney Hide schools Jacinda on climate change

By CS

JamesShawJacindaArdernSignsCoalitiondKr6

Rodney Hide is another who has decided Jacinda’s Kool-Aid has gone off: Quote:

Jacinda Ardern has been in the job long enough for me to conclude she is incompetent and woefully unsuited to be prime minister.

Her hastily cobbled together press conference to announce the ban on future offshore oil and gas exploration was a trainwreck in so many ways but let me just concentrate on the announcement in pinko, greenie terms.

The prime minister said the government has a plan.

“Today we are announcing the coalition government has a plan to transition toward a carbon neutral future, one that looks 30 years in advance.”

Putting aside the wisdom of such a plan, one would conclude the government has a plan. After all, the prime minister told us it does.

But the government has no plan. There is no road map explaining how New Zealand gets from where it is now to “carbon-neutral.”

“Our plan is clear – we are committed to becoming a net zero emission economy by 2050, with an interim step of making our electricity system 100% renewable by 2035. We have also started work on how we will achieve that.”

Started work? On how to achieve that? It’s not even known if it is possible. Or the cost.

It’s a rookie greenie, pinko mistake to confuse a plan with a goal. A competent prime minister announcing a plan would actually have a plan, not just a goal, and a few action points, for example plant trees, ban exploration, set up a new quango and fund innovation.

The goal set by the prime minister is bigger than one ever before set by a government. Fossil fuels make up 60% of our energy supply. The “transition away from fossil fuels” is far bigger than the 1980s “Rogernomics,” far bigger than, say, Stalin’s forced industrialisation through the “five-year plans,” far bigger than the US putting a man on the moon.

It’s a huge undertaking. End quote.

Brutal, but accurate from Rodney. Quo

And it’s not to be any old transition such as from hunter-gatherer to farming but a “just” transition.

There won’t be upset of the sort when those old nasties closed the local post office. This transition will be smooth, it will make us rich, provide jobs, and will free us of carbon.

We will scoot about in electric cars, charge our phones with windmills, and a man will hook his bike up to power the espresso machine for our latte.

Industry will be clean and green. We will make movies, write songs and develop new apps. Farming will be high tech and organic. Heavy industry will be redundant.

After her press conference the prime minister rushed to Victoria University to gush to students. She dispatched Justice Minister Andrew Little to Taranaki to explain the ban.

By all accounts, the students were ecstatic; the people in Taranaki not so much.

Prime Minister Ardern likes to remind us climate change is her generation’s nuclear-free moment. She’s right.

That was all rhetoric too, with no plan or thought for what was to happen next, and, despite the drums and hoopla, it also achieved nothing. End quote.

Yep, not a single bomb or missile was ever dismantled because David Lange liked to hurl slogans around. No nuclear power voluntarily threw away all their weapons and no power station was shutdown because nuclear was bad. In fact, the opposite occurred. More power stations were opened and more countries developed nuclear weapons.

Just yesterday India announced it was not longer going to build a whole lot of nuclear power stations. Instead, they will use their abundant coal reserves to build hundreds of coal fired power plants. Our output in total won’t even come close to India’s carbon output from their new plants. But we have to wreck our economy to prove a spurious point?

Look at her face...." Say whaaat.....??!"

12 hours ago, bloke said:

Rodney "Perk Buster" Hyde has lost any creditability he may have  had. He was an Act MP look at the failures Act  turned out to be. Now the clown is preaching and you mugs are listening because you still have not got over the Tories being dicked 

Instead of worrying about who the author is why don't you focus on what is actually being said for a change. Picking out someone and referring to something done in the past or disliking the person for whatever reason as a means to discredit them as the basis for their current reasoning is ludicrous. There are a number of other opinions posted here expressing the same sentiments of those that you want to dismiss.    

The same applies to you referring to the past re the election result, you keep bringing it up, no one else is. What is actually being brought is current policy and state of affairs of the present inept and seemingly incompetent coalition government. You need to focus on what is happening in the present instead of focusing on the past.  

13 hours ago, bloke said:

Rodney "Perk Buster" Hyde has lost any creditability he may have  had. He was an Act MP look at the failures Act  turned out to be. Now the clown is preaching and you mugs are listening because you still have not got over the Tories being dicked 

Labour 37% National 44%....Dicked ? Yes, by a bitter old sot dumped by his own Electorate, who put personal grudges ahead of the welfare of the Country, and put this unprepared, inexperienced motley crew in power. 

Make the most of it, it won't last long.