RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Jacinda Ardern

Well that's thrown a bit of interest into things

Andrew Little was good guy and grassroots Labour, but didn't have the x-factor/charisma.

I think it will be good for Labour, and may just win Auckland for them, with them going after the young vote, with someone Generation X can probably identify with.

Just think, they won't need to air brush the posters of Ardern, like they did Helen Clark:)

Quite a reaction already

"Jacinda Ardern has only been the new Labour leader for a matter of hours, but already voters seem to be warming to her.

The latest nzherald.co.nz poll asked if the new line-up of Jacinda Ardern as leader, and Kelvin Davis as deputy, would make readers more likely to vote Labour.

Out of more than 5300 votes, 43 per cent said they would now consider switching their vote to Labour.

Forty eight per cent said they still wouldn't vote Labour, while 9 per cent weren't sure.

The reaction on Facebook was even stronger.

A nzherald.co.nz Facebook post asked readers if they would vote for Labour now that Jacinda Ardern was leader.

Of the 3700 people who responded, 2400 said they would now vote for her, or 65 per cent.

Only 1000 said they wouldn't vote for her, or 27 per cent.

Neither poll is scientific."

How someone so inexperienced, who has never achieved anything, can become a party leader overnight is mystifying.

There may well be an immediate "bump" in support until common sense kicks in. Having said that, there does appear to be an appetite for change out there ( a la US and UK ) and with Teflon John gone, Bill English might have a struggle on his hands.

God help us if we end up with a cobbled Govt of Labour, Greens, NZF and Maori.....:rolleyes:

Typical NZ Politics - Vote for the face, not the party or the policies.     Can Sinda really get them out of the rut?    Her first big problem though is to change all the Billboards etc.       

2 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Why can't Labour and National Form a Government in coalition?. And why is this not discussed. That way would spell the end for all the other shonky parties. Am I missing something.

A grand coalition, only ever happen if there was a war

2 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

A new face belting out Labour policies.

All her expected climb in the polls does is show how shallow a lot of voters are.

That is the nature of a big percentage of the population though Crusty.  Why do you think TV is now wall to wall Reality TV

11 minutes ago, eljay said:

Typical NZ Politics - Vote for the face, not the party or the policies.     Can Sinda really get them out of the rut?    Her first big problem though is to change all the Billboards etc.       

Shouldn't be a problem, no air brushing needed:) and they've had 100K in donations overnight

Now she says she is taking 72 hours to take stock of Labour policies.Translation i never agreed with Andrew,i was waiting for him to resign.

These guys have been in opposition for 9 years and if they haven;t got policies that they can get voted in on by now can you trust them with new policies made up on a whim.

What have they been doing for 9 years,it would appear to be not much.She has already mentioned changes to tax which when translated means those who have will be giving to those who don't have.

11 hours ago, hesi said:

"Jacinda Ardern has only been the new Labour leader for a matter of hours, but already voters seem to be warming to her.

The latest nzherald.co.nz poll asked if the new line-up of Jacinda Ardern as leader, and Kelvin Davis as deputy, would make readers more likely to vote Labour.

Out of more than 5300 votes, 43 per cent said they would now consider switching their vote to Labour.

Forty eight per cent said they still wouldn't vote Labour, while 9 per cent weren't sure.

The reaction on Facebook was even stronger.

A nzherald.co.nz Facebook post asked readers if they would vote for Labour now that Jacinda Ardern was leader.

Of the 3700 people who responded, 2400 said they would now vote for her, or 65 per cent.

Only 1000 said they wouldn't vote for her, or 27 per cent.

Neither poll is scientific."

The last line is the key statement for me.

Bill was perfectly fine to take on boring Andrew, but this is a different ball game now & its not looking good for National.

Even more voters could stomach Labour if they cast the Greens adrift completely, those nutters are going to support Labour outside of Govt anyway so nothing to lose.

I could handle a Labour/NZF Govt as long as the loonies are not there also, however if they are its going to be one of the shortest lived Govts in our history.

If Labours support gets  above the 30% (which I think it will) Winston will lose some of the power he currently has & may well turn and go with the Tories.

Winston has 3 years which ever way he goes before he gets slaughtered at the following election when voters realise he is far more effective in opposition rather than governing.

Oh well, at least we will have the best looking PM on the globe for a short time if Jacinda makes it.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Bill was perfectly fine to take on boring Andrew, but this is a different ball game now & its not looking good for National.

Even more voters could stomach Labour if they cast the Greens adrift completely, those nutters are going to support Labour outside of Govt anyway so nothing to lose.

I could handle a Labour/NZF Govt as long as the loonies are not there also, however if they are its going to be one of the shortest lived Govts in our history.

If Labours support gets  above the 30% (which I think it will) Winston will lose some of the power he currently has & may well turn and go with the Tories.

Winston has 3 years which ever way he goes before he gets slaughtered at the following election when voters realise he is far more effective in opposition rather than governing.

Oh well, at least we will have the best looking PM on the globe for a short time if Jacinda makes it.

Your last line say's it all, thats about it, a so so in the eye of the beholder pleasant looking 37 yr old. And there it ends. And on a global stage, that surely is a stretch.

Not just a pretty face though, she has handled herself very well so far.

If I recall correctly, Helen Clark was the unlikeliest of leaders before she took over

Amazing co-incidence that it was also every other horse's birthday yesterday. I wonder if Lowie sent his PLT his congratulations.

It has certainly got those left wing journalists like Patrick Gower salivating (I know, not a pretty sight with Paddy), but not all bad, injecting some interest even though their could be a calamitous outcome with no-one being able to form a Government.

Good luck to J, I won't be voting for her, but neither will I continue to support National. ( Think Nick Smith for the reason).

Time to cash-up the share portfolio you guys and buy some horses!

23 hours ago, hesi said:

Just think, they won't need to air brush the posters of Ardern, like they did Helen Clark:)

Possibly not, but if you think she is that good looking you better along to specsavers and then take a closer look.   

2 hours ago, hesi said:

If I recall correctly, Helen Clark was the unlikeliest of leaders before she took over

Not the prettiest but was highly intelligent and had balls. ( figuratively speaking of course).;)

They both have something in common though and that is they both need a good dentil surgeon.

Labour has just become a thousand miles wider, but still only an inch deep.

14 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

They both have something in common though and that is they both need a good dentil surgeon.

Rees FFS turn your spell check on:)

46 minutes ago, Snax15 said:

Is it just me or does she come across as quiet arrogant and smug?

It's a thin line between arrogant and smug, and assured.  I think this word describes her well, and I've always voted National

aplomb
əˈplɒm/
noun

1. self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation.
    "Diana passed the test with aplomb"
    synonyms: poise, self-assurance, assurance, self-possession, self-confidence, calmness,composure, collectedness, presence of mind, level-headedness, sangfroid, equilibrium,equanimity, nerve, nonchalance; More