RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chelseacol

Winter Cup

The GN Carnival is nearly upon us - always a great week here in ChCh. Three race meetings in a week - toss in the GN Luncheon and a trot meeting or two and it's almost as tough as Cup Week.

Looking at final Winter Cup noms are there any geniuses out there with a winner ? Pretty skinny market from the TAB I thought with 10 horses under $20....

My thoughts are Doiknowyou $14 then Nashville (yeah a sentimental bet but still the class horse) and  Strolling Vagabond each way at $50.

Look forward to seeing a few Racecafers on course over the week.

15 hours ago, Mardy said:

I've been a Miss Three Stars fan for quite a while now.So i'll be putting my money on her and she definitely won't mind the conditions.Always love GN Week....am sure it will be a cracker.

Cant argue with that Mardy - she is a cracker. Last year still fresh in the memory

15 hours ago, Shad said:

Hows the track holding up, be a loose heavy or a puggy one, tough on the punt this time of year, that for sure, good luck with all those races, your bound to take them to the cleaners.

I'm always a bit wary of speculating at Riccarton these days Shad. Fair to say the track has taken a lot of water over the last 2 weeks - but been largely fine last few days. Few showers over next couple of days forecast....

Might hop over the fence in next day or two and have a look :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

I'm always a bit wary of speculating at Riccarton these days Shad. Fair to say the track has taken a lot of water over the last 2 weeks - but been largely fine last few days. Few showers over next couple of days forecast....

Sadly, Riccarton these days seems to be one of those tracks that never dries out once it becomes wet. It could be fine and windy for the rest of this week and it would still be a bog. Very unfortunate.

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Be great to get the inside word on the track, just be careful getting over that fence, last thing you want is a late scratching due to injury on winter cup day.

Hi Col,

I remember years ago the Christchurch Hunt Club would race the week before the National Meeting, and hold the Brabazan ( I know the spelling is not correct) over 1400 metres, as a lead up for the Winter Cup. They also held the Haldon Plate for 2 year olds, and it was normally run in divisions. They may well have held an open steeple chase as a lead up for the Grand National. Someone might be able to recall better than me.

Cheers.

Robert.

I am pretty sure the Hunt day started with the Westenra Cup. Amateur riders I think. Possibly non-tote?

In the early 1960s we never missed this last day of the season at Riccarton. A decent bike ride from Avonside/Dallington but a hearty breakfast in Suva St kept us going for the day.

Gentleman Jim, ridden by Willie Harnett,  comes to mind as a winner. Maybe. Probably in the late 70s. Willie was from a well-known racing family and followed his older brother, Nick, into the professional riding game. They later went to Australia for many years.

I don't trust the memory so much these days but I doubt the Haldon Plate was for 2 year-olds. Maidens perhaps. Divisions yes. Cloudy Joe from the late Barry Taggart's stable comes up as I type.

The Brabazon and the Camla Hack were the two main flat races.

Am open to correction.

The Haldon was for 2yos, and despite it being for maidens and an ordinary stake it was considered a prestigious race to win. The feature jump was the Homeby.

That meeting and those races now sadly seem to have disappeared. Very sad that the industry no longer appreciates the value of tradition. Next week is now the only jumps races of the season at Riccarton.

I'm waiting for Platinum Command to get back to form Col. Been pretty ordinary thus far, although did win fifth up last year..

Myers will have another big Carnival...look out for Wazuzu.....;)

Cubes fella looks ready to win the last.....and I'll chuck in St Andrews M and Ahyum.

Yea i remember that they used to run the Homeby Steeples just prior to GN week.A shame now that it seems the only time those beautiful big fences are used is at this meeting.

16 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

I'm waiting for Platinum Command to get back to form Col. Been pretty ordinary thus far, although did win fifth up last year..

Myers will have another big Carnival...look out for Wazuzu.....;)

Cubes fella looks ready to win the last.....and I'll chuck in St Andrews M and Ahyum.

Backed it last year Ohoka with some confidence :angry: Been terrible this time in for mine - although step up to 1600 helps. Think I would just go place to be honest.

Love those big wide open R65 races to finish the day. Think we would all love Cubes to get his one up - I had a quiet beer with him last Friday and he was on good form. I suspect you have the winner with your other two though - probably in the order you put them down

33 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Backed it last year Ohoka with some confidence :angry: Been terrible this time in for mine - although step up to 1600 helps. Think I would just go place to be honest.

Love those big wide open R65 races to finish the day. Think we would all love Cubes to get his one up - I had a quiet beer with him last Friday and he was on good form. I suspect you have the winner with your other two though - probably in the order you put them down

You had a beer with Cubes' horse last Friday and he was on good form?

Thanks for the invite .

Dodecahedron , our third youngest of two , had football ( Formerly known as "soccer" ) practice after detention earlier today .

Training was cut short due to the mud-ridden pitch being un-playable on here in tropical Christchurch .

Good luck all... 10 race card on Saturday ...

Koral won that Homeby Steeples seven times did he not?

Eventually they renamed the Lincoln Steeples(which was the last day feature Steeplechase that he won more than once as well) the Koral Steeples then transferred it to the first day

Remember in the seventies them sitting a mini car on top of Cutt's brush - didn't even make a centimetre of impression - it was a big big fence

2 hours ago, Cubes said:

You had a beer with Cubes' horse last Friday and he was on good form?

Thanks for the invite .

Dodecahedron , our third youngest of two , had football ( Formerly known as "soccer" ) practice after detention earlier today .

Training was cut short due to the mud-ridden pitch being un-playable on here in tropical Christchurch .

Good luck all... 10 race card on Saturday ...

Detention cubes, crickey i bet you say he doesn't get it from his fathers side, as for those mud puddles all health and safety these days, good luck with your charge on Saturday, nice stakes on offer.

27 minutes ago, Shad said:

Detention cubes, crickey i bet you say he doesn't get it from his fathers side, as for those mud puddles all health and safety these days, good luck with your charge on Saturday, nice stakes on offer.

You care to enlighten me on what charge we're watching out for on Saturday?  (its okay too if you're not wanting to divulge it though)

58 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

You care to enlighten me on what charge we're watching out for on Saturday?  (its okay too if you're not wanting to divulge it though)

Don't want to drop the divvy, but i see someone has given you a hint. You may be able to work it out.