RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cunnamulla

Hastings trying hard to reduce crowd numbers

16 hours ago, Trump said:

Well BB, smoking isn't illegal you correctly point out. But it is banned in many public places, school grounds, sports stadiums, on trains, buses etc. I can remember back when smoking was allowed anywhere! Including aeroplanes, movie theatres, buses, offices, etc. Now nearly all, if not all, Office Buildings are smoke free. So yes, not illegal. But neither is urinating. But urinating in a public place "is" illegal. Just ask Dover Samuels ! :) 

I remember those days so well and how great it is that we no longer have to go into a pub, club and go home smelling like an ash tray. I was a smoker many moons ago and smoked on the bus on the plane, oh how things have turned around. I find 99% of smokers are very aware of non smokers and go away to a quite area to have a fag.

My post was a quick response to how those people in authority or in positions to make these decisions believe they know how people should live there lives. As leighton Smith will tell you, little by little before we know it we won't be allowed out our front door.

I can't stand smoking! 

But I have to say I haven't experienced a problem with smokers on a race course or a pub for that matter for years. I can understand the alignment with the cancer foundation etc, but I simply do not have a problem with respectful smokers having their cigarette in a designated area it seems to have worked well for years.

This appears to be a real beat up and is the beginning of pandering to social groups that will never stop and racing may pay a very dear price for it in the long run.

3 hours ago, puha said:

Which sponsor is that ? 

good point - I misread the article. Just part of racing supporting the Cancer Society and trying to look like a good corporate citizen. Which we could do with bearing in mind the perception of gambling, drinking and animal welfare issues...

As someone who smokes i never smoke in a public place around people. I don't even smoke at home if the Mrs is there because she hates it.

In saying that i could do a day without no trouble but why make those that cannot not attend the races.

A simple smoking area like workplaces have would solve this issue.

5 hours ago, chelseacol said:

good point - I misread the article. Just part of racing supporting the Cancer Society and trying to look like a good corporate citizen. Which we could do with bearing in mind the perception of gambling, drinking and animal welfare issues...

I don't understand why we should feel so guilty? Why should we have to justify to others that we like a punt and a pint? On the welfare side fair enough .

18 hours ago, nick said:

As someone who smokes i never smoke in a public place around people. I don't even smoke at home if the Mrs is there because she hates it.

A simple smoking area like workplaces have would solve this issue.

What a co-incidence...I gave up yesterday!...had smoked all my adult life, gave up 3 years ago with aid of patches and gum (Heart disease in family history)

resumed smoking last year...(stressed @ the time).

Nicks comments above, reflect my thoughts exactly.

a hidden agenda to support the 2025 no smoking campaign may be at play...who knows?...but not good for racing!

Lets hope this is an isolated incident / meeting affected...or the floodgates may open and others will be at the turnstiles with placards.

instead of trying to fuck racing...racing will be fucked.