RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cunnamulla

Hastings trying hard to reduce crowd numbers

It looks like Hastings is making a big attempt to get rid of the few on-course patrons they have left.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11896962

What a lovely day at the track that will be. It sounds like they are going to having 'smoking nazis' roaming the course ejecting anyone who dares to light up. Maybe during Heart Foundation week they will ban the eating of pies on course. Oh no, on second thoughts that won't happen, Castles wouldn't make it through the day.

I note that useful CD ( only ) G1 horse Kawi gets a mention, he's certain to attract no one to the course although they've already declared that he'll be wearing the rather dodgy daffodil colours, and that's appropriate for the imposter.

As for the smoking, well I'm not one so it doesn't bother me other than to say that banning alcohol ( which arguably is far more dangerous ) seems a mere short step away......I'm not going to mention banning that other fun activity sex, other than to say if they did ban that at least NZTR would have to stop fucking racing.

1 hour ago, Cunnamulla said:

It looks like Hastings is making a big attempt to get rid of the few on-course patrons they have left.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11896962

What a lovely day at the track that will be. It sounds like they are going to having 'smoking nazis' roaming the course ejecting anyone who dares to light up. Maybe during Heart Foundation week they will ban the eating of pies on course. Oh no, on second thoughts that won't happen, Castles wouldn't make it through the day.

Whoop de do!

What about having a healthy BMI(Body Mass Index) day.

All visitors that go through the turnstiles, any with a BMI of 30+ are herded into a marquis. They are all given a healthy food guide, instruction on purposeful exercise regime and a "Now" photograph of themselves. This picture should focus on the " double chin" and "lard-arse" area.

The next visit to the races rewards the "lardos" with a $100 betting voucher if the said BMI has dropped below 30.

This prerequisite would championed by the committee and adhered by all.

Now that would certainly make headlines!

56 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

All visitors that go through the turnstiles, any with a BMI of 30+ are herded into a marquis.

Or maybe they can have different sized turnstiles and patrons walk in via the smallest they can fit through. Then on the way out, anyone who fits through a wider turnstile than the one they came in, is fined, and the money goes to the heart foundation :)

Can see this turning into a shitfest real quick!!, so we have "smoke free stipes"lurking around the place with the power to "appropriately remind" persons who are having a sly smoke. Question 1) these delegated persons, are they trainee stipes or are the powers going to utilise the car park attendants when they have parked all the cars?. I can't see that the big stipes would be doing the job.   Question 2) Should an "appropriate reminder #1" be taken the wrong way and the "smokefree stipe" be told their pedigree by the sly smoker what is "appropriate reminder with big teeth #2 ?.   I can see some inexperienced people with clipboards  getting absolute serves from some patrons....perhaps even some charges of "bringing racing into disrepute" that's the charge for shabby behaviour on a racecourse isn't it??.

Eating junk/fried food is apparently a recipe for bowel cancer, so I'm presuming that there will be no catering? Unless of course they have planned to set up salad bars around the course? On the serious side, fewer people smoke these days so the crowd will be normal - less the annual 5% drop in numbers.

Do Pfizer sponsor races in NZ?/, as they are producers of equine remedies as well as the producers of the largest selling anti depressant on the market here and that is EFFEXOR XR....hell it even gets advertised on TV.

So if Pfizer were to sponsor a race meeting would that mean if you were of a sound and happy disposition you would be encouraged not to attend or if you were depressed you would be encouraged not to attend??...can of worms indeed .

As an aside perhaps Pfizer should sponsor a day as I'm sure a lot of racing folk apply their equine remedies but in the current climate of NZ racing I would like to know how much revenue is generated due to the prescription of EFFEXOR XR to the same people?

Bugger all people smoke at the races these days anyway, so is this just a publicity stunt? 

If one lights up will they be frog marched off the course by the SS (Smoking Stewards)?

Will the commentator make it through the day?  

If the AA sponsor will the bars be closed? 

So many questions :)

A great idea passed on from someone with higher insight.

For the punting smokers out there that decide to go why not all take a vapo cigarette - see what the SS(nicotine Nazis) does with them.

Provide proof and a short clip via FB - prizes to be won.

How about waiving the smoking ban for anyone who turns over more than $1000 through the tote? As a reminder to the younger generation as to why people used to go to the track, i.e. to watch the races and punt rather than get completely shitfaced. 

31 minutes ago, Phantom said:

How about waiving the smoking ban for anyone who turns over more than $1000 through the tote? As a reminder to the younger generation as to why people used to go to the track, i.e. to watch the races and punt rather than get completely shitfaced. 

Nice idea to encourage turnover but I get the impression often on course that  punters who do turn over a bit are a pain in the ar@e - otherwise why would they have so few windows open, man them with old biddies who can't work the machines, and who all take their lunch and morning tea breaks at the same time leaving one window open, and also not have enough cash to pay out even a modest collect .......

It's no wonder everyone who does go on course just drinks - it's easier to get a beer

An interesting idea from over the ditch....how do you reckon this would go.....?

FUNK IT UP

This Armchair Punter has always been an advocate for more innovations in racing, as it is a sport which mostly doesn't sell itself.

Rusted-on punters will bet anytime, anywhere, but most of the rest of the population only get seriously interested at Melbourne Cup time or when horses like Black Caviar or Winx come along.

What better time than the horses birthday this week to spark more some conversations about what horse racing should look like in the future. 

Surely it must centre around the consumer and their experience.

One of the more funky ideas I have heard comes from a marketing man who suggests an innovative way of getting racegoers back to empty tracks.

"How cool would it be one day if you could be at the track and purchase those virtual reality goggles? You could select which horse you want for each race and you see what the jockey sees during the race," our man says.

Sounds far-fetched? They are already looking into that sort of stuff in Aussie cricket's Big Bash. And VR technology is a big part of many American sports.

Anything which can broaden racing's fan base and make it more appealing to the next generation is surely worth debating and exploring.

Well BB, smoking isn't illegal you correctly point out. But it is banned in many public places, school grounds, sports stadiums, on trains, buses etc. I can remember back when smoking was allowed anywhere! Including aeroplanes, movie theatres, buses, offices, etc. Now nearly all, if not all, Office Buildings are smoke free. So yes, not illegal. But neither is urinating. But urinating in a public place "is" illegal. Just ask Dover Samuels ! :) 

Could have been used as an ideal marketing gig on smoke-free day, Patches and gum given out at gate,for would be quitters.

E cigarette / vapour retailers could have been offered marquee for free trials...

Instead... dissuade on-course punters with an advertising campaign,

people who either shoot downstairs from the stand to have a quick ciggy or stay on the grassed picnic area

I know a few who will either stay away out of principal or stand up to the anti smoking stipes...will be interesting. (numbers wise) 

My gut feeling is they won't stop people smoking on the day . Older guys are part of that generation that have smoked and punted from day dot . There's no way they could stop cold turkey when they aren't interested in giving up. Commonsense will prevail I reckon .

11 hours ago, porky said:

Could have been used as an ideal marketing gig on smoke-free day, Patches and gum given out at gate,for would be quitters.

E cigarette / vapour retailers could have been offered marquee for free trials...

Instead... dissuade on-course punters with an advertising campaign,

people who either shoot downstairs from the stand to have a quick ciggy or stay on the grassed picnic area

I know a few who will either stay away out of principal or stand up to the anti smoking stipes...will be interesting. (numbers wise) 

Yep much better approach than smoking stipes - just what we want more trumped up idiots in vests enjoying a little power trip. Probably lead to trouble....

Despite all this fair play to the Club - they are looking after a sponsor and trying something different. Seems a bit off the mark - but at least it isn't same old same old !!

13 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Yep much better approach than smoking stipes - just what we want more trumped up idiots in vests enjoying a little power trip. Probably lead to trouble....

Despite all this fair play to the Club - they are looking after a sponsor and trying something different. Seems a bit off the mark - but at least it isn't same old same old !!

Yeah granted Col, would take a lot of hard marketing at the anti smoking brigade, to get bums on seats,

Free entry helps... would have to be free, for any smoker to endure a day, drinking,punting and smokefree. 

49 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Which sponsor is that ?