RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

octogenerian Drivers

I "ve raised it before but most of the time get shot down in flames.It is our small band of great senior citizens engaging in one of the high risk (check acc categories} sports/businesses so with the new season around the corner can you family and friends please suggest drivers in harness races say over 80 or for that matter over 85 retire gracefully with our goodwill. One example in the south has had 100 drives over last 3 seasons for couple of 3 rds. However the results though they may not reflect competency do indicate the gap between the top drivers and the old guard. In an age range prone to unexpected strokes and heart attacks when under stress(gees I struggle a bit at 70 leading the trotters around when they expect me to keep up with them and I say out of earshot of trainer "slow down you B. Im getting old !!!") it is only fair to let the young guys and girls have a chance without the risk associated  with old drivers causing possible mayhem. :unsure:

The old drivers you refer to are merely a relic of the way things were done in the past and are a dying breed.  Amateur owner,trainer and drivers. Probably bred them as well. Of course they should be given a use by date for both health and safety reasons but many would not participate if their licenses were revoked. its a toss of the coin whether that would be a good or bad thing. Imagine no Luc or Ivannn

8 hours ago, eljay said:

It's all relative.    Some are more fit at 80 than others are at 70 or even 60.       If they get a medical certificate which I believe are very thorough, to say they are fit to participate, then who are we to say they can't.    

Ivan Schwamm got third tonight. An early winner in the new season?

the point of ability/experience/competency is not the issue. and we all know they are tremendous individuals. The point is unfortunately an 85 year old human has a high risk of stress related heart/stroke upsets(with no prior warning) . with no cut off point(we all remember the great M Holmes forced to step down at 65 reluctantly which at least meant we did not have todays risk) a driver passing a test in a non driving or stressful situation could drive at 100years old !! Many of you say oh well hes a great guy/ driver so what??hemay even get 1 3rd in a long season of driving so how could he be a danger to anyone. Our existing drivers are such nice guys they wont say anything but their lives are put at risk. any other major sports have 85 year olds competing in a very risky situation eg.jockeys,all forms motor racing(except classic rallying) ? the individuals know when it is too risky for themselves usually around 60 to 65. I wont raise again but I hope I am never proved right !!!