RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Oamaru Gone

I see Oamaru is gone for good. $195,000 down the drain for South Island racing, which is quite a big hit really. $30,000 not paid out to jockeys etc. Interesting that no thought was given to transferring any of that money to the Timaru friday meeting.

To put it into perspective, other than the mud meeting at Riccaron for the Grand National, the next meeting in the SI with decent stakes is the Riccarton meeting on 9 Sept. That is a long time between drinks.

The obvious date to rerun the Oamaru meeting with virtually no change to the programme is the weekend of 19 August as there is a two week period with no SI racing. What are the chances of that? Zero, I would imagine, but who knows, we will wait and see.

7 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I see Oamaru is gone for good. $195,000 down the drain for South Island racing, which is quite a big hit really. $30,000 not paid out to jockeys etc. Interesting that no thought was given to transferring any of that money to the Timaru friday meeting.

To put it into perspective, other than the mud meeting at Riccaron for the Grand National, the next meeting in the SI with decent stakes is the Riccarton meeting on 9 Sept. That is a long time between drinks.

The obvious date to rerun the Oamaru meeting with virtually no change to the programme is the weekend of 19 August as there is a two week period with no SI racing. What are the chances of that? Zero, I would imagine, but who knows, we will wait and see.

NZTR will look at options in terms of re-scheduling the Oamaru Cup and other races. Any transfer of races won’t be able to be accommodated until the new season. 

On 7/26/2017 at 6:03 AM, Pam Robson said:

If the predicted southerly blast happens,  Timaru would be in doubt too.

They were hammered last week.

How right you were, wonder what the future holds for the winter cup meet, you wouldn't bet on it the way the weather has been.

16 minutes ago, Shad said:

How right you were, wonder what the future holds for the winter cup meet, you wouldn't bet on it the way the weather has been.

Mmmm fingers crossed for the GN meeting - one of the highlights of the calendar and a pretty social time for a bunch of us.

Currently raining here in ChCh and I just read evidently there is another weather event rolling through this time next week as well !

Hamilton has had its normal annual rainfall already this year, the rain started in Feb and has hardly let up since.

This is mirrored across the country so I guess its no wonder meetings are falling over everywhere.

We are all in need of some good weather that's for sure, the GN meeting, if run, will be on very heavy track if we don't get some drying in the week ahead

Its a long time since we had so much rain and more expected

They say its that wet even the ducks are flying west to the coast, may have to transfer races to hokitita, they can handle few more mills than the east coast, that smart horse dressedtokill proved she can handle wet tracks both sides of the alps.

5 minutes ago, Shad said:

They say its that wet even the ducks are flying west to the coast, may have to transfer races to hokitita, they can handle few more mills than the east coast, that smart horse dressedtokill proved she can handle wet tracks both sides of the alps.

no better here today but doesn't it tell a story about how hardy our horses used to be?  They would plough through the bog day after day no worries.  Nowdays someone spits on the track and they are off(unless it is Hokitika of course)

The Rugby players are the same - years ago they would be covered in shiite and charge through the bog - I see the complaints last week about AMI Stadium and "it should have been postponed'  - remember that Scotland test in 1973?

Is the world getting soft?

25 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

no better here today but doesn't it tell a story about how hardy our horses used to be?  They would plough through the bog day after day no worries.  Nowdays someone spits on the track and they are off(unless it is Hokitika of course)

The Rugby players are the same - years ago they would be covered in shiite and charge through the bog - I see the complaints last week about AMI Stadium and "it should have been postponed'  - remember that Scotland test in 1973?

Is the world getting soft?

1975 i think - lucky no one drowned in that one

Don't see Aus race on bottomless bogs week in and week out so why should we?

oh thats right we have rubbish venues and more venues than we need with substandard surfaces. Nothing will change unless the industry changes and downsizes the number of venues we have. 

We need a handful of good venues, good facilities and good quality racing surfaces - not tens of shitholes like we currently have

3 minutes ago, MrBigStuff said:

oh thats right we have rubbish venues and more venues than we need with substandard surfaces. Nothing will change unless the industry changes and downsizes the number of venues we have. 

We need a handful of good venues, good facilities and good quality racing surfaces - not tens of shitholes like we currently have

Predictable, like a broken record.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Predictable, like a broken record.

You all say that now but its true. Racing will not prosper unless the tough calls are made. 

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results 

That is NZ racing in a nutshell 

1 hour ago, MrBigStuff said:

Can't see that a handful of shitholes is likely to be much better than tens of shitholes. Even 1 venue with good facilities and a quality racing surface would be an improvement at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Can't see that a handful of shitholes is likely to be much better than tens of shitholes. Even 1 venue with good facilities and a quality racing surface would be an improvement at this stage.

Thats what I mean. A Pakenham type facility 

2 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

It is still going to rain on the "good" venues. Year in year out Timaru and Oamaru are two of the best winter tracks in the country. I fail to see how eliminating those two tracks and having more racing at Riccarton is going to achieve anything.