RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Racing101

The First Call

24 minutes ago, Trump said:

Why can't you bet Fixed Odds on Sat's races now on NZ TAB? If I go to Ladbrokes right now, I can bet Fixed Odds on all Caulfield races on Sat. 

I imagine they want to make sure as much value as possible is gone from the prices before they start accepting bets.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Bang on Puha, I couldn't for the life of me understand why anyone was watching it in the first place on a Saturday morning. It was very low grade stuff with a bunch of people who couldn't bet there way out of a wet paperbag throwing $2 best bets around, seriously.  How the hell can you run a programme like that when most of Saturday's fixed odds are not even out, I have never sat through a whole episode of it and won't be recording it going forward.

Absolutely Barry. And with much superior programmes like Formline and Get On already on Saturday morning promoting Aussie Racing where do you think punters are likely to spend their money..?? 

On 7/24/2017 at 0:13 PM, Midget said:

Seriously ?

Media/ Television is the conduit for the product isn't it ? Surely it follows that if the product is made attractive it becomes easier to sell....you sell more of it.....your fixed costs reduce proportionally ....profits increase exponentially ......

It's still putting lipstick on a pig though Midget....;)

I like this idea. I can record it and watch it when I get home and do my bets on fixed odds Friday night. (usually better) Can't watch when working Sat. They are following the Oz version of Formline, which is done on a Thurs?

26 minutes ago, turny said:

Not at all Peter - we are the customers - we count surely

People don't like change to start with so they moan and some yes just for the sake of it. Plenty on here for the sake of it too. 

I have enough trouble picking me own value winners...without listening to their ramblings.

Glynn Tucker was worth a watch... Brett Davidson was my favorite tipster in Oz in the late 80,s..

(Gave up on him when he started picked hotpots)...whats his strike rate like now?...Just out of curiosity

Who actually picks the odd roughy?  anyone on the panel anywhere near square on a dollar a win basis? or do they still label half the field?

Give us something new / fresh / incentive to watch/bet/visit a racecourse... (pleeease)

1 hour ago, MrBigStuff said:

People don't like change to start with so they moan and some yes just for the sake of it. Plenty on here for the sake of it too. 

Ha and your turning into the biggest one . 

10 minutes ago, puha said:

So how many people have seen the First Call since it changed to a Friday ? Not me for 1.

I watched it Friday, it was ok, the content was worth watching and at least they're trying although the set itself was shit, the colours dated, the graphics and lighting reminded me of bad state television, but that's all production stuff.

What we as Kiwis lack is wit and humour, taking the piss, but who could you possibly get if you wanted that element in the FC show ?

I watched the show on Racing.com where they give out the Mouawad award Saturday, and Katie Mallyon said in a live interview that she'd watched a race in Italy or somewhere, it was around a village square, the horses had bridles but no saddles, Katie said " it was crazy, madness, the jockeys were even allowed to pull each other off "......there was a long pregnant pause and then the whole studio burst into laughter, for about five minutes.

That's funny, but can you imagine Trackside ever allowing that to go to air...nah.....they're too fucking anal, trying to be a production company when the truth is that from a production perspective they're useless precious plonkers pretending to be broadcasters.

In a competitive commercial television world they'd get slaughtered and that's sad because they're our industry shop window, but it's not a very attractive window I'm afraid.

Anyway back to the FC, I'd watch it again, for information as distinct from entertainment, and I'm a tough judge.

Thanks for the critique. Guess for most of us being played on a Friday the programme is the furthest thing from your mind . Might record and have a look fri evening . Your correct about our humour and taking the piss out of each other . Light years behind the Aussies  closed we've got is 7 days brilliant Kiwi comedy .

Yet another example of F#@&ing around with something that wasn't broke.

It's all very well dumping Stu Land for more input from Aiden Rodley or is it ? Whilst Rodley took great delight in taking the piss out of Stu he doesn't have a fraction of the credibility and his inability to select a winner will soon become legendary like the on track assistance from B.P.

I wrote all their selections down over the last two weeks and beyond and crossed them out as they failed with the result looking like the cemetery at the Somme. Jason Tan and Matt Cross still perform with destinction despite difficult winter conditions.

Time for KPI's in this role and shape up or shift out. When was the last time Rodley or BP get a return on a " Recommended Quaddie " ? At something like $300- $400 a week a very long time.

1 hour ago, ivanthegreat said:

Time for KPI's in this role and shape up or shift out. When was the last time Rodley or BP get a return on a " Recommended Quaddie " ? At something like $300- $400 a week a very long time.

Not saying they are good tipsters, but it's not easy getting a return when nobody got any of the Counties Quaddie (A bit of a worry that the pool didn't even make it over 20k) and the Riccarton Quaddie paid over 40k.

I think it's unfair to expect them to consistently tip winners, they're not professional tipsters after all, and if they were they wouldn't be working in television.

What might be a good idea would be to introduce say 10 high profile decent punters ( like Ted ) who could enter a race to $$xxxxxx total, the proceeds of which go to charity, and we could learn a lot along the way, which in turn would encourage punting churn.

I said on here earlier Brett Davidson was good in the 80,s and asked how he stacks up now?...saw him tipping while at TAB other day...still good.

Agree Ivan...Stu Laings tips at least gave you an aura of hope,they were well reasoned, he presented well and he laughed off the snide remarks with good humor.

I do like the birdcage and barrier tips from the girls on horseback in OZ (commenting on the good lookers) , often throw up value...

Maybe that's something new that could be tried, and, I agree Ivan...1 tip per race...$ 1 win...lowest performed presenter each quarter (3 months) is replaced.

The panel would take on a new look fairly quickly and the shows ratings would climb.  

On 7/27/2017 at 9:24 PM, porky said:

Brett Davidson was my favorite tipster in Oz in the late 80,s..

whats his strike rate like now?...Just out of curiosity

Who actually picks the odd roughy?  Give us something new / fresh / incentive to watch/bet/visit a racecourse... (pleeease)

Todays episode is going further down the toilet!!! These guys are absolutely hopeless, they cant back winners and they certainly cant give you any decent information. I stopped watching these tools a long time ago and switched to Get On who at least provide an element of fun and actually give you feedback you can work with. 

I thought this might have been replayed before the racing started today.  General Managers of everything at the NZRB, but nobody in charge of updating this web page: https://static.tab.co.nz/content/trackside/index.html

Turned the television on at 10:00.  Get On was playing.  After that some trial replays.  More likely to put you to sleep than motivate you into having a bet.

Shutting down phonebet, closing the TAB's, putting the TV shows on when nobody will watch them.  Where is this all going?

All their advertising is directed at the sports market clients.

Everything they're doing suggests they think the racing market is saturated, no real growth potential / opportunity, and effectively dead and buried.

I can see why they think that, the codes are dysfunctional and refuse to change so why should the NZRB waste time and money on them ?

It's called flogging a dead horse, an awful metaphor but applicable in this instance.