RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Racing101

The First Call

Couple of mins ago surely they are not running at 11am on Fridays ! How is that relevant to the weekends racing, Track conditions , scratchings  and all information on the day will be missing plus whatever dwindling audience they have. Bloody stupid pathetic programming in my opinion.

4 hours ago, puha said:

Couple of mins ago surely they are not running at 11am on Fridays ! How is that relevant to the weekends racing, Track conditions , scratchings  and all information on the day will be missing plus whatever dwindling audience they have. Bloody stupid pathetic programming in my opinion.

Who will this new timeslot suit? Pensioners and beneficiaries!!!!! I highly doubt their $2 each way and $1 % trifectas going to pay the salaries of the idiots who thought the change would be good :(

May be very forward thinking Jason. If mad catter gets his way there will be thousands of unemployed youngsters sitting around watching TV all day, with a few hundred idle  bucks waiting to find a home

Yet another crazy decision , what needs to happen is the entire Saturday morning slot needs to be devoted to the weekends racing from 8am onwards.

The rugby or sports show on trackside radio (that takes up an hour slot, about 20 mins a week of that is on Stafs taste of music) has a prime time slot for what reason I have no idea.

You have punters in and out of TABs across the country at this time having to listen to a panel talk about the rugby or netball or warriors when they should be discussing the NZ racing content. It would surely help!

The bloody tragedy is if Julie Christie had got a start then she has the skill sets to clean the idiotic pathetic programme up and we would have got a Dufficy style Aussie programme that would have been worth watching - but alas we get another broken down bloody Postie - and you ask why the racing game in N Z is fucked - ridiculous bullshit

30 minutes ago, turny said:

The bloody tragedy is if Julie Christie had got a start then she has the skill sets to clean the idiotic pathetic programme up and we would have got a Dufficy style Aussie programme that would have been worth watching - but alas we get another broken down bloody Postie - and you ask why the racing game in N Z is fucked - ridiculous bullshit

The excellent Aussie programmes like Formline and Get On are aired on a Thursday over there I think Tom.

Repeated here on Saturday morning....if that stays the same, guess what will happen....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, turny said:

I like the way you think.

She wouldn't do the job anyway because she's far too busy, but if she did I suspect a few of the more wooden presenters might find they're rostered off, and she'd definitely bring in new talent, as she's done with Mark Richardson on TV3.

I know I go on about this but why is it that when I watch cricket all the expert studio analysts are ex players, when I watch the rugby all the expert analysts are top class ex players, tennis ditto, golf ditto, motor racing ditto, but when I watch racing the studio analysts don't seem to have the same expertise or credibility in their field. Seems rather odd to me, mind you it's a hard sport to market and sell at the moment for reasons beyond any individual's control.

Friday time slot suits me. I currently record Formline (Friday 11am) and either watch late Friday night or get up early on Sat morning before the rest of the house is up.

I need to spend some time with family on Saturday (sport, appeasing the other half with chores, shopping or lunch) before I disappear for the afternoon with the races from say 2pm onwards. So the First Call ay the moment doesn't fit in with that.

Why not have on Friday, repeat Sat and then run a Sat morning an update programme with latest track conditions.

56 minutes ago, Foaming said:

Friday time slot suits me. I currently record Formline (Friday 11am) and either watch late Friday night or get up early on Sat morning before the rest of the house is up.

I need to spend some time with family on Saturday (sport, appeasing the other half with chores, shopping or lunch) before I disappear for the afternoon with the races from say 2pm onwards. So the First Call ay the moment doesn't fit in with that.

Why not have on Friday, repeat Sat and then run a Sat morning an update programme with latest track conditions.

Friday morning is crazy . FF odds aren't out , track conditions are irrevant 28 hrs out, scratchings won't be up too date etc etc. I'd suggest can it all together as it will be a waste of time and money unless that is the objective?

With all due respect to Julie Christie, the TAB don't need another expert in an outside industry like television, banking, the law or the postal service, they need more people who have experience and expertise in the betting industry. I know this statement seems obvious but apparently is outside the scope of the thinking of the people making the hiring decisions in Petone. 

34 minutes ago, puha said:

Friday morning is crazy . FF odds aren't out , track conditions are irrevant 28 hrs out, scratchings won't be up too date etc etc. I'd suggest can it all together as it will be a waste of time and money unless that is the objective?

It works for Formline in Sydney, although our TAB would have to get the FF odds out earlier for all races not just some of them.

I don't have the luxury of watching a mid morning Sat programme. Maybe why I bet more on Aust races over the winter as I have watched Formline to raise my interest levels. I'm happy to reassess any selections once track conditions are known Sat morning.

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

With all due respect to Julie Christie, the TAB don't need another expert in an outside industry like television, banking, the law or the postal service, they need more people who have experience and expertise in the betting industry. I know this statement seems obvious but apparently is outside the scope of the thinking of the people making the hiring decisions in Petone. 

Seriously ?

Media/ Television is the conduit for the product isn't it ? Surely it follows that if the product is made attractive it becomes easier to sell....you sell more of it.....your fixed costs reduce proportionally ....profits increase exponentially ......

Just now, Midget said:

Seriously ?

Media/ Television is the conduit for the product isn't it ? Surely it follows that if the product is made attractive it becomes easier to sell....you sell more of it.....your fixed costs reduce proportionally ....profit increase exponentially ......

In theory, but ironically the New Zealand racing industry has completely disintegrated since the arrival of Trackside. I'm sure she would improve the quality of the Television product ( how couldn't she to be honest), but I think their primary focus should be the quality of their core product which is betting. And to really make some positive changes they need to employ people who understand the industry to avoid a repeat of decisions like Typhoon and more recently the decision to contract out their fixed odds operation. Their fixed odds operation needs a complete overhaul, starting with management which actually has half a clue. There are a stack of changes that could be made at relatively low cost which would increase profit dramatically. Get the product sorted first, then sort the media out, not the other way round. In my opinion.

Firstly how about we move on from Typhoon, it's was R&D to replace the aging Jetbet (?) system so it was legitimate operating expense.

Secondly, you need to package your product well if you want people to buy it, and Trackside is essentially the packaging.

Thirdly, surely you'd agree that the NZRB has become a bloated parasite on the industry so outsourcing anything and everything should be a priority if it reduces overheads ( salaries and rental  footprint mainly ). 

Lastly, I'd have thought the industry has mostly disintegrated since 2003 when the Racing Act came into effect and when we lost control of our OPEX and stopped infrastructural investment and R&M.

Firstly. Everyone else passed on Typhoon, It was only the NZRB who paid for it because they didn't understand it was a piece of crap.

Secondly, it doesn't matter how you package a product if your product is basically shit.

Thirdly. this is insane. They were given the only fixed odds betting license in a relatively wealthy country full of mad gamblers, and after 20 years they can't make it work. Gets back to my original point, sort your product out, and that doesn't mean contract it out. 

Lastly, fair point, But Trackside hasn't helped slow down the disintegration, it's probably helped accelerate it.

On 22/07/2017 at 5:48 PM, puha said:

Aidan Rodley just attempted to sell me Friday First Call and FAILED

Come on guys. Broaden your outlook. Be flexible.

You can video record the program on Friday and play it back Saturday morning if you prefer or watch it on the Internet.

That takes care of current practice and does not disadvantage you.

Picking winners over two days gives you a better chance of a return in a fixed odds multi..

Multi up standouts on Friday into TFC selections for Saturday.

Makes all up fixed odds betting more attractive to punters and creates more opportunities for multi bettors.

What do you think will be the captive audience at 11am Friday morning ? Bit like the first season of Weigh In which was great played Sunday Evening all relevant then the following year in their wisdom changed to Monday evening and became old news . First call on Fridays is the same scenario but in reverse . Fools  I say.

33 minutes ago, puha said:

What do you think will be the captive audience at 11am Friday morning?

Other than live sport we record virtually everything else and watch it when it suits us. I think in this day and age it's probably a bit simplistic to just look at the aduicence at the time it's broadcast live. 

2 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

Other than live sport we record virtually everything else and watch it when it suits us. I think in this day and age it's probably a bit simplistic to just look at the aduicence at the time it's broadcast live. 

Maybe but can you explain the logic of having the programme 24 hours beforehand and most people will not record it will just end up a waste of industry funds a better i idea would be scrap the programme and wages of those involved .

9 hours ago, puha said:

Maybe but can you explain the logic of having the programme 24 hours beforehand and most people will not record it will just end up a waste of industry funds a better i idea would be scrap the programme and wages of those involved .

Bang on Puha, I couldn't for the life of me understand why anyone was watching it in the first place on a Saturday morning. It was very low grade stuff with a bunch of people who couldn't bet there way out of a wet paperbag throwing $2 best bets around, seriously.  How the hell can you run a programme like that when most of Saturday's fixed odds are not even out, I have never sat through a whole episode of it and won't be recording it going forward.