RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Te Aroha Abandonded

22 hours ago, Shad said:

The reason these stalwarts are still there is because none of the younger generation are interested, without them, there wouldn't be a racing club.

Shad I can tell you from a young persons perspective the racing clubs are not offering anything to attract young people to the races. I know so many young people who are interested but these stubborn stalwarts who think that racing should still be the same as it was in the 1900's are ruining this industry.

16 minutes ago, Racing101 said:

Shad I can tell you from a young persons perspective the racing clubs are not offering anything to attract young people to the races. I know so many young people who are interested but these stubborn stalwarts who think that racing should still be the same as it was in the 1900's are ruining this industry.

Fantastic we finally have one of these special young folk who can tell us what it is they want at race meetings that will get them and their special selves along to the races. 

More Booze, More Tail, no horses, free food , specially designed places to embarrass yourselves ?

I'm all ears what is it you special folk want?

23 hours ago, Shad said:

The reason these stalwarts are still there is because none of the younger generation are interested, without them, there wouldn't be a racing club.

Couldn't agree more. 

There are ample opportunities for young folk to get involved in the sport , be it at club level etc. The fact is they just don't want to be involved , but they do want to whinge.

Many racing clubs don't deserve the derision and criticism they get on here , as they have been kept going by a thread over the years by enthusiastic committee men and women and club stalwarts, some of the real heroes in the game, the ones that put on the show and get no thanks not even a nod but do it year after year for the benefit of the industry. Some who have inherited unfix-able messes of neglect with little or no resources to do a thing about them but are judged and critiqued against racing clubs with full time staff, the best race dates, promotions and events teams etc etc etc.

57 minutes ago, Racing101 said:

Witnessed a very large crowd of younger generation at the nz cup meeting.But alas all they were interested in was the drinking, not a image that we want to be portrayed, racing is a passion or its in the blood. You have it or you don't, in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, Huey said:

Couldn't agree more. 

There are ample opportunities for young folk to get involved in the sport , be it at club level etc. The fact is they just don't want to be involved , but they do want to whinge.

Many racing clubs don't deserve the derision and criticism they get on here , as they have been kept going by a thread over the years by enthusiastic committee men and women and club stalwarts, some of the real heroes in the game, the ones that put on the show and get no thanks not even a nod but do it year after year for the benefit of the industry. Some who have inherited unfix-able messes of neglect with little or no resources to do a thing about them but are judged and critiqued against racing clubs with full time staff, the best race dates, promotions and events teams etc etc etc.

Well said huey, wouldn't matter what they put.

17 minutes ago, Shad said:

Witnessed a very large crowd of younger generation at the nz cup meeting.But alas all they were interested in was the drinking, not a image that we want to be portrayed, racing is a passion or its in the blood. You have it or you don't, in my opinion.

Too true Shad--went to the NZCup last year after a 15 year hiatus from attending every year. Overcrowded with goons in fluoro vests checking your every move. What cost to the Club to monitor drunken louts who never bet. Will not be back to be fleeced $100 to get in the Members Stand and have a shyte day.

6 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Too true Shad--went to the NZCup last year after a 15 year hiatus from attending every year. Overcrowded with goons in fluoro vests checking your every move. What cost to the Club to monitor drunken louts who never bet. Will not be back to be fleeced $100 to get in the Members Stand and have a shyte day.

I to had not been to cup meeting since the days of empire rose and soundoration, i to seen the antics of the younger brigade, but had the pleasure of being a guest of a fellow cafer, who treated us like royalty, it was a great day out, its a shame chevy that you didn't enjoy your day, if this is getting the next generation to the races, it will just push the rest of us away.

The problem is Shad is you are not bringing enough of your cronies along with you. 

Nothing is more depressing than going to racing and seeing a bunch of old pensioners betting $2 per race.

Your post is like you have given up on young people being involved before its got off the ground even. Remember back to the 60's when you were listening to Elvis, your oldies would have had terrible thoughts about you.

Having some tolerance and working on solutions for the better of the industry would be far more proactive than dismissing young people as drunken hòons.

1 hour ago, barryb said:

The problem is Shad is you are not bringing enough of your cronies along with you. 

Nothing is more depressing than going to racing and seeing a bunch of old pensioners betting $2 per race.

Your post is like you have given up on young people being involved before its got off the ground even. Remember back to the 60's when you were listening to Elvis, your oldies would have had terrible thoughts about you.

Having some tolerance and working on solutions for the better of the industry would be far more proactive than dismissing young people as drunken hòons.

Well barry, never been called a crony before, but thats ok, i was just using the cup meeting as one example, and are certainly not branding all of that generation the same, i guess i have given up on attracting the young ones to the races, and time will tell who is right or wrong in this case, but would be happy to be proved wrong for the benefit of the industry, will be looking forward to hear all of your idea's on turning it around.I will be one of the first to congratulate you, think your abit off the mark on the elvis thing, but i am all shook up.

5 hours ago, Huey said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Why does it have to be young v old.  Why can they not work together.  Both learn from each other?

7 hours ago, barryb said:

Lets hope you are wrong Shad or the industry is toast.

I hope i am barry, i think the industry needs every punter it can get, young old or other, big or small, lets hope for the best, and that everyone''s a wiinner in the end

6 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Why does it have to be young v old.  Why can they not work together.  Both learn from each other?

I don't recall saying it was? 

So what is it that the young want to get them involved in racing?

Seems to me they aren't really sure themselves or don't want to do the hard yards to get there?

I'm fed up with racing being marketed and promoted to the people as a party and the actual sport and horse as a sideshow. Racing has cruised on the back of this way of doing things for years and probably will for years to come , but it doesn't create a sustainable sport with growth aspirations into the future when the main product we are trying to sell get newbies involved in is a sideshow.

14 hours ago, barryb said:

It is actually the security overkill that is the problem these days Barry. The loose behaviour is trivial, and besides, why all the fluoro as if there has been a civil defence emergency--such intimidatory dress often incites trouble. Discrete, competent enforcement better than dozens of clowns. (I guess it improves the crowd numbers though)

3 hours ago, Huey said:

I don't recall saying it was? 

So what is it that the young want to get them involved in racing?

Seems to me they aren't really sure themselves or don't want to do the hard yards to get there?

I'm fed up with racing being marketed and promoted to the people as a party and the actual sport and horse as a sideshow. Racing has cruised on the back of this way of doing things for years and probably will for years to come , but it doesn't create a sustainable sport with growth aspirations into the future when the main product we are trying to sell get newbies involved in is a sideshow.

Huey I understand your thoughts.  But I am also know a lot of what we are doing is not working, the experience needs to be improved.  I am not talking about getting wasted at the races.  The media for the NZ Cup showed a picture of a drunk in the paper, when in fact this guy was a non drinker celebrating the win of a horse he owed.  The police had to set five traps to catch an slightly underage drinker at the Wellington Cup. 

I think a little music at the end of a days racing is a great way to finish the day, no one wants to be rushed off the course like the place has had enough of you.  There are lots of other options too:

• Ellerslie could make the bottom bar near the birdcage have speakers where the commentary can be heard.
  • Near large screen tvs could be installed (not expensive these days)
  • How about a punters area where there where there is state of art facilities for punting and watching off course

It is an entertainment business now if clubs want to survive, hence why Christmas at races works.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:05 AM, Huey said:

Huey, I agree with you 100%. 

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, Shad said:

bullshit.  For some clubs, its a old boys club, no one else allowed

Young people will go in droves when a champion is racing and is marketed. Take Winx and Black Caviar. The young ones pour thru the gates. Yesterday, Winx had a canter around in a trial. It made serious commentary on every TV Station's Sports commentary. Even Sky News featured it, including after trial interviews with Bowman and Waller. "How did she feel?". "Is she back?". "Could she have won the trial?". Etc etc. That's what brings the younger ones to the track. Now. What horse is going to do that currently in NZ? Maybe Kawi attempting to win 3 in a row in the Makfi (called something else now) at Hastings? Secondly, how will the Club and NZTR promote it? Maybe offer some incentives on course? A special cocktail called a "Kawi" at a special price to be available between the 2nd and 4th races. A voucher on entry gives you one free "Kawi"?. Spend a bit to make a bit.

4 hours ago, Varro said:

bullshit.  For some clubs, its a old boys club, no one else allowed

Steady on there, there is also some clubs that are crying out for help and new blood or anything, think from memory one of the coast clubs had a public meeting looking for help, as the same committee been doing the work for years. Im not saying all the clubs are like that.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Steady on there, there is also some clubs that are crying out for help and new blood or anything, think from memory one of the coast clubs had a public meeting looking for help, as the same committee been doing the work for years. Im not saying all the clubs are like that.

ok fair point, my experience is actually limited to one club, so I was actually in the wrong with my response.

27 minutes ago, Varro said:

All good, and i don't doubt that there is a few clubs that fall into that category. And thats a shame, they should welcome all.

27 minutes ago, Varro said:

ok fair point, my experience is actually limited to one club, so I was actually in the wrong with my response.