RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

cardigan Bay(nz) 1963 Wayville SA

thanks Pogo, I wonder if anyone has the video of the auckland cup win from 78 yards. I did have it and lent to someone and it has now gone..there are spectacular images on these cardy images esp addington and the wayville "saucer" . but my favourite race of all time his win over best horses in nz from 78. I was there as a 16 year old and became a trotting addict that night that I havent cured some 54 years later !:D

Was at the back of the "old concrete" stand - don't think there was an available seat on course that night - about 120 from the winning post and I'll never forget the roar of the crowd when Wolfie started his move about 700 from home.    They must have heard it in Sydney!!

Leggy, that was awesome to watch, some great names in that race. And spare a thought for wee Robyn Dundee, she chased "Cardy" home all round the world and indeed was runner-up to him when he cracked the million dollar mark. Vanderford had untold talent but was sadly killed when he went berserk on the plane to America, he had to be axed to death.:(

2 hours ago, Belinda said:

There will never be another Cardigan Bay, he was a freak, the best of the best.

No he was beyond freak. He was the quintessential harness Horse, both sprinter and stayer. Even after his terrible accident with a fence in Aussie after training, when he wasn't the smooth gaited pacer he once was , he still became an immortal of the Harness game. Peter Wolfendem once said he was the only horse he had known that could sprint numerous times during a race and still have something left at the end. I saw him at Hutt Park on his Nation Tour after he came back after retirement. Still have the booklet produced for the occasion, and still have the goosebumps every time I remember the occasion.  A horse for all ages.