RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

greyhound auction

Greyhounds appear to be to be a tight organisation with a few key players. why s there no public auctions as in australia of young dogs so new "blood"can get involved. often the question is asked how much does a dog cost and how much s training? Of course the first part would be determined by a public auction and like horses can range greatly.  trainers may like to give a guide here.I personally like greyhounds having been brought up with trips to kumeu and mount smart in auckland . Hatrick is great for Whanganui but lots more owners would bring more atmoshere and turnover.

the silence is deafening. I might have totalk to the Aussies to get answers and a good dog and talk my trainer (horse) into training it for me. It cant be that hard . if Peter Fergusson can train winners after a short lead in !!

28 minutes ago, john legend said:

the silence is deafening. I might have totalk to the Aussies to get answers and a good dog and talk my trainer (horse) into training it for me. It cant be that hard . if Peter Fergusson can train winners after a short lead in !!

He does have a top trainer teaching him how to do it.

There is not really a big market in NZ for this too happen as many people do not want to sell the ones worth selling. I agree though having big sales would only benifet the industry and help get new people involved. As for the price of the dog, it depends on what type of dog you want really.

Auction idea been tried (if not tried definately talked about) but the interest and stock wasnt there. No one breeds litters to sell them, their worried they might sell the one "group" dog from the litter given they generally sell them at 3 months old so impossible to determine whats good and whats not....to be honest if you aint buying a pup at 3-6 months old then dont bother...it will be a lemon or has issues...heres a tip for you: no one will sell you a young race dog that has ability to go to the top grade unless firstly your monetary offer is so good they cant resist, or you buy one from Aussie cause it seems their less prone to want to "tuck" people surprisingly, only way to get a good dog is buy one at 3 months old completely based off breeding and cross your fingers, hands and feet that it can run...hope this helps.

6 hours ago, john legend said:

In regards to the training reference you make, its surely no secret that its actually not difficult at all to TRAIN a greyhound as you have pointed out...however it is very difficult for a novice to prepare a greyhound and present that dog to the races 100% SOUND and INJURY/NIGGLE  free in order for that dog to run its best possible race for you...this "mastercraft" takes years and years of practice to perfect and some are leagues above others at carrying this out....in my opinion the countries leading/top trainers are the best because they have mastered the art (through years of practice) of checking over dogs properly, its not easy to detect some injuries and being able to do this effectively gives you a huge advantage, you can not only start treating the injury at an early stage but your knowledge has given you the ability to detect it before it potentially "ruins" the dog. 

19 hours ago, alltheway!!! said:

He does have a top trainer teaching him how to do it.

There is not really a big market in NZ for this too happen as many people do not want to sell the ones worth selling. I agree though having big sales would only benifet the industry and help get new people involved. As for the price of the dog, it depends on what type of dog you want really.

A good one

On 17/07/2017 at 8:23 PM, Slim Shady said:

In regards to the training reference you make, its surely no secret that its actually not difficult at all to TRAIN a greyhound as you have pointed out...however it is very difficult for a novice to prepare a greyhound and present that dog to the races 100% SOUND and INJURY/NIGGLE  free in order for that dog to run its best possible race for you...this "mastercraft" takes years and years of practice to perfect and some are leagues above others at carrying this out....in my opinion the countries leading/top trainers are the best because they have mastered the art (through years of practice) of checking over dogs properly, its not easy to detect some injuries and being able to do this effectively gives you a huge advantage, you can not only start treating the injury at an early stage but your knowledge has given you the ability to detect it before it potentially "ruins" the dog. 

Probably the most intelligent thing you have said Slim.