RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Abernant

wellington races weather

Yes it used to be great racing in the depth of winter and good horses kept coming up through the carnival. I seem to remember (though I was only about ten years old) Peter Willonyx winning on all three days, carrying big weights (like well over 60kgs) and in shit up to his whiskers. Winter racing just ain't the same today.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Yes it used to be great racing in the depth of winter and good horses kept coming up through the carnival. I seem to remember (though I was only about ten years old) Peter Willonyx winning on all three days, carrying big weights (like well over 60kgs) and in shit up to his whiskers. Winter racing just ain't the same today.

Yes, with global warming the winters aren't like they used to be!

On 19/07/2017 at 0:20 PM, von Smallhaussen said:

the Parliamentary Hcp used to be the Wellington Cup of winter and the Whyte the George Adams of winter.

remember baghdad note winning the whyte mile in 1970 ..the year he won the melbourne cup

The whole psychology towards wet tracks has changed markedly over the years. 50 years ago the shortest way home was sticking to the fence. I still believe that's the case in most instances. Managed to catch the Steeples yesterday. Good race for a relatively small and compact field. Never had a bet but , Jesus, Nells Belle must have covered about two miles more than anything else running around the outside rail to be beaten by just a couple of lengths.