RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Beggars Belief

The 95% of Mug Punters(and yes that includes me:rolleyes:)wouldn't have known what to do with that information.With the track conditions

and class of horses I doubt less than a handfull of people would have changed their bet.

By the way Shane,whats going to happen when the new motorway bypasses Huntly?Do the locals see that as a positive or negative?

2 hours ago, tonkatime said:

What happens to bets placed before the change in distances was made public?

I would have to say, absolutely nothing. This is NZ Racing.

3 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

Shut the dump down, what a joke of an outfit. Look they can hardly even get sponsorship as the joint is so run down and poxy

As one Waikato trainer said to me the other day still one of the best winter tracks anywhere. Run down maybe but still making a profit, more than a lot of racing clubs can manage.

1 hour ago, Brown Fox said:

The 95% of Mug Punters(and yes that includes me:rolleyes:)wouldn't have known what to do with that information.With the track conditions

and class of horses I doubt less than a handfull of people would have changed their bet.

By the way Shane,whats going to happen when the new motorway bypasses Huntly?Do the locals see that as a positive or negative?

A positive for those that live there?  Or a positive for those that get to bypass it?  Not sure what it will bring.  But for all Huntly's issues it is and will remain a great central location.  Perfect for a Super track :-)

4 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

As one Waikato trainer said to me the other day still one of the best winter tracks anywhere. Run down maybe but still making a profit, more than a lot of racing clubs can manage.

Maybe an ok surface at best but it has nothing going for it.

bad location bad facilities and dried up old hacks on the committee but hey isn't that the nz industry through and through?

Better than okay surface.   As we've said before if they spent a zillion on facilities they wouldn't attract any more people than they do now being stuck with midweek racing.    The outside stand is an eyesore and disgrace but the member's stand / owners are trainers are open  to all and about equal to many courses you go to.  Most trainers you talk to want more racing there not less,  as not everyone wants to spend $ 650 and float a horse to Ruakaka every few weeks over winter ,  track sits idle now for a month .  It is also invaluable for northern trails.  It does need a damn good spruce up I'll grant you  and they  had one big problem today with lift to member's stand not workingfor 2nd meeting in a row.  Hear on the grapevine  the club  are reluctant to  spend $ 30,000 to fix. it    It meant  two old ladies I know, one 83 and one 89 had to climb four flights of stairs to get up there this afternoon . With average age of their membership that should be a priority.

Spyro, the surface isn't that flash nowadays, as they have not kept up with the sand slitting that was done a good few years ago now. I spoke with the stipes and they told me they couldn't get to the 1400m mark to place the barriers as the tractor wasn't powerful enough to get them there. Couldnt get traction!

This is a joke and once again, why were we not informed earlier, rather than wasting money to get there, another NZ racing joke! I wasnt told until a fellow trainer informed me.

I am not sure what float company you use, but Ruakaka is not that dear from Cambridge.

I am reluctant to go to Ruakaka as it usually turns out to be a benefit day for local trainers, and good on them, as they have to travel to all other destinations.

As i have said so many times before, why do we have to drive past the best track in NZ through the winter, when it should have a surface we can race on every second Saturday!

Come on Ellerslie, all this money you have in the bank, use it to get a decent track!

1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Spyro, the surface isn't that flash nowadays, as they have not kept up with the sand slitting that was done a good few years ago now. I spoke with the stipes and they told me they couldn't get to the 1400m mark to place the barriers as the tractor wasn't powerful enough to get them there. Couldnt get traction!

This is a joke and once again, why were we not informed earlier, rather than wasting money to get there, another NZ racing joke! I wasnt told until a fellow trainer informed me.

I am not sure what float company you use, but Ruakaka is not that dear from Cambridge.

I am reluctant to go to Ruakaka as it usually turns out to be a benefit day for local trainers, and good on them, as they have to travel to all other destinations.

As i have said so many times before, why do we have to drive past the best track in NZ through the winter, when it should have a surface we can race on every second Saturday!

Come on Ellerslie, all this money you have in the bank, use it to get a decent track!

Chris has hit at another point here which I think is very very important to help nz racing.  Having racing on a regular day at the same place.  I think Alexander Park benefits immensely from racing every Friday night.

There are a lot of people in a population of 1.5M that like racing and the idea of a day at the races. But are never sure what day the races are on.  

Impulse decisions to just go to the races suffer when the goer has too look up and find the races are over an hour away.  

2 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

Chris, it was a few trainers out of Te Awamutu that mentioned the $ 650, they have quoted that figure on a few occasions.  Why that should be from there or who they are using I'm not sure.   Agree on Ellerslie if they had a decent track but right now a bit of a dog, surely Avondale if not quite as good as it was would be alternative in the meantime. Cheers !

2 hours ago, Chris Wood said:

37 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Impulse decisions to just go to the races suffer when the goer has too look up and find the races are over an hour away.

This can't be underestimated. When non-racegoers have to plan a day at the races, they don't even know where to start - consistency is key.

I lived in Perth for a few years, and they would have Ascot every Saturday in the summer, and Belmont every Saturday in the winter - everyone knew where to go, and that there would be races taking place.