• Announcements

    • 2Admin2

      TAB 0800 Telephone Bet Number - IMPORTANT!!!!   05/16/2017

      The Telephone Bet Service ceased in July 2016.    For telephone betting via Touchtone call 0800 10 20 33. The old 0800 number now belongs to a different company who are being bombarded with calls. The TAB Helpline is  0800 102 106
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
racingsouthdude

BREEDING

18 posts in this topic

After people's thoughts on sir Lincoln as a sire???? I have a foal due on the ground in October by him of of a grinfromeartoear mare. 

Also after a mare to lease or buy what's out there. . . . . . . . Pacing breed only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, racingsouthdude said:

 

Also after a mare to lease or buy what's out there. . . . . . . . Pacing breed only.

have a qualified unraced 5yo mare for sale or lease ..had a raging bull foal last year...pm me if you interested

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is abit early to praise or condemn Sir Lincoln. THe 2 year old season is the hardest for a sire to make his mark asmany develop from 3 yr old s on. But to be honest with a good book of mares which produced 86 foals now 2 year olds and to have only the 1 standout,. Aramis it is not looking too good ! He has sev. place getters so could improve and he is well bred and well performed as we know,but from an objective view point would be little apprehensive at this stage. ps if you have 30000 to spend could have excellent mare for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has been good value with the early payment discount with Lincoln Farms  ($2500 down to $1000) but now with Alabar not sure as yet you will get as big a discount. Would think to wait to see how they perform as 3 and 4yo"s. 

Hayden Sefonte likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Empire stud has just released their service fees this week. Somebeachsomewhere ($13,500) is the same cross (Mach Three - Beach Towel - Can Fella) as Sir Lincoln and Somebeachsomewhere has already produced many top quality horses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

both ak reactor ,160live foals andsir lincoln through good marketing 86 foals will both need to up their game as 1 or 2 reasonable horses in their first crops leaves a lot of disappointed owners who may look elsewhere this season. similar crosses to successful stallions is agood feature but sires are individuals and seldom have even full brothers to top stallions proved worthwhile.In the 60and70s nz imported a large number of very close relations totop stallions and most were disasters. as mentioned above by 2piper somebeachsomewhere is creating a real buzz with his progeny so I would get some friends in and share the cost of going to him for a real chance of breeding a great horse. (although his service fee would appear optimistic at 13500 when compared with other proven sires)

Thejanitor likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebeachsomewhere is HUGE in the US. Most people here don't know he's the champion sire there, displacing none other than Bettor's Delight last year and looking likely to beat him again this year. It's fair to say the jury's still out here. It's still early days but worth noting Mark Purdon was not among the SBSW buyers at the sales . . . so it may not happen next season!

A couple of SBSW's sons are already here (well, the semen is). Net Ten EOM is worth a look. His first crop of two-year-olds are showing up in Indiana and there was a rush of late bookings for him there in the last breeding season. Numbers are against him here, but the signs are good . One of the Arden Lodge draft broke in really well and is off to Barry Purdon and Murray Swain is on the record as saying his Net Ten EOM yearling is better than his Art Majors and Bettor's Delights.

He's impeccably-bred. Out of a Hall of Fame Artsplace mare and very closely related to Well Said and So Surreal, another young SBSW now at stud in the US. 

 

Value Bell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Franco Ledger to the Stallion ranks. Joins Macca Lodge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2017 at 1:19 PM, Swede said:

It's still early days but worth noting Mark Purdon was not among the SBSW buyers at the sales . . . so it may not happen next season!

You are right Swede, SBSW is dominating the 2 & 3yr old stakes and classic races in the USA. Not uncommon to have 4 or 5 of them in the big races, but I wonder if they are more suited to the USA where they go hard for a mile. 

They may not be so suitable for NZ where we run over longer distances and horses need to settle in the running.

I remember also when Auckland Reactor burst onto the scene,  I thought to myself Mark Purdon will be buying up Mach Three's at the next yearling sales.

To my surprise he virtually ignored Mach Three and instead bought up Bettor's Delight yearlings.  At that stage it was not known how successful BD was going to be.

Once again shows he is ahead of the game.  He will be well aware of the success of SBSW in the States but maybe he thinks they will not reach the same level here.

I also wonder if they will last beyond their 4 year old season.  Waikiki Beach seems to have lost his dominance. 

Probably too early to tell but will be interesting to see how some of his better ones go as older horses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I am a small breeder and am looking at a NZ sire for a Life Sign mare. We breed to race. Was looking at Auckland Reactor, Highview Tommy, Sir Linclon or Gold Ace as they are all reasonably priced.

Does anyone have any thought on these sires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alan B said:

Hi I am a small breeder and am looking at a NZ sire for a Life Sign mare. We breed to race. Was looking at Auckland Reactor, Highview Tommy, Sir Linclon or Gold Ace as they are all reasonably priced.

Does anyone have any thought on these sires?

I,m no expert on breeding but a quick look at LS broodmare credits on HRNZ would indicate Life Sign mares seem to cross well with American Ideal, and Direct Scooter line stallions Christen Cullen and Courage Under Fire. 

From your list AK could work out well. Some may think he has been disappointing so far but remember he didn't race himself until he was 3. Next year will be telling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in reply to Alan. I have seen some really nice Highview  Tommys in work as rising 2 year olds . He would be a good cross with the Abercrombie line and being a well performed son of our best ever stallion he could be worth the gamble. My own trainer liked him so much he sent his mare back to Highview tommy . Remember however it costs the same to raise and train a horse by a stallion on your (cheaper end) list as one by an absolutely proven sire .(most studs will do deals if you have a nice mare.) :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 0:31 PM, lamour said:

I,m no expert on breeding but a quick look at LS broodmare credits on HRNZ would indicate Life Sign mares seem to cross well with American Ideal, and Direct Scooter line stallions Christen Cullen and Courage Under Fire. 

From your list AK could work out well. Some may think he has been disappointing so far but remember he didn't race himself until he was 3. Next year will be telling

Thanks Lamour I have noticed the new sire Always B Miki is bred on strong crosses of Albatross and Abercrombie. AK is bred on the same crosses. We don't race as two year olds and like to keep them racing as older horses. Agree it will interesting to see how his 3 year olds go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 9:41 AM, john legend said:

in reply to Alan. I have seen some really nice Highview  Tommys in work as rising 2 year olds . He would be a good cross with the Abercrombie line and being a well performed son of our best ever stallion he could be worth the gamble. My own trainer liked him so much he sent his mare back to Highview tommy . Remember however it costs the same to raise and train a horse by a stallion on your (cheaper end) list as one by an absolutely proven sire .(most studs will do deals if you have a nice mare.) :)

Yes John I agree, we actually went to a proven sire last time with the mare and have a rising 2 year old filly by Western Terror. Still there are no guarantees in this game. Thanks for the info about the Highview Tommy two year olds etc. Really he is a great cross by BD, I have never seen a sire with his influence before and Christian Cullen what an excitement machine he was and also did a great job in the breeding barn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2017 at 9:58 PM, Alan B said:

Yes John I agree, we actually went to a proven sire last time with the mare and have a rising 2 year old filly by Western Terror. Still there are no guarantees in this game. Thanks for the info about the Highview Tommy two year olds etc. Really he is a great cross by BD, I have never seen a sire with his influence before and Christian Cullen what an excitement machine he was and also did a great job in the breeding barn. 

Western Terror is available to NZ breeders again this season. There were only three crops with 75 winners from 169 foals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2017 at 10:31 AM, 2Piper said:

Welcome Franco Ledger to the Stallion ranks. Joins Macca Lodge.

The tide will be out there till they hit the track

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

franco ledger well worth the chance as a sire being by a great horse and sire in falcon seelster from a live or die mare and is a virtual outcross for all the Bettors delight mares . He was agreat performer .Of course he will take3 or 4 years to prove his worth but there is no doubt the potential .

racingsouthdude likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0