RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
porky

congrats lions...Bring on Eden Park

Funny isn't it - before the era of P.I. players, wet weather was always in AB's favour.    Nowadays just the opposite.     Perhaps NZRU should in future limit tests to Auckland, Hamilton, Christchurch and Dunedin (under cover only)       Afterall Wellington is situated at the ### of the North Island.

Wellington has the "Cake Tin"  and Auckland has "The A Hole"

The wettest test match ever played in the rain was in Auckland, NZ v Scotland 1975. The ground was like a swimming pool and some players feared they may  drown in  rucks. Squid Going however played a great game. 

What a game in prospect next weekend. SBW stuffed any chance we had on Saturday, but you have to give credit to them for hanging in there and still looking likely winners until late in the game. Just a few things on the line :

1 The Lions Series

2 The AB's 23 year winning record at Eden Park

3 All Black ( and National ) pride

Wouldn't miss it for quids.....;)

7 hours ago, bloke said:

Wellington has the "Cake Tin"  and Auckland has "The A Hole"

The wettest test match ever played in the rain was in Auckland, NZ v Scotland 1975. The ground was like a swimming pool and some players feared they may  drown in  rucks. Squid Going however played a great game. 

Yes, I was there.     I was also at the NZ v France match in 1961 at Athletic Park.      The AB's scored in the corner and Don Clarke aimed the conversion straight across the field parallel with the 25 yard line and the Wellington howler turned it at right angles and through the uprights.      When the AB's were playing into the wind they dropped one of the forwards back as an extra full back - I think it was John Graham.     

12 hours ago, eljay said:

Yes, I was there.     I was also at the NZ v France match in 1961 at Athletic Park.      The AB's scored in the corner and Don Clarke aimed the conversion straight across the field parallel with the 25 yard line and the Wellington howler turned it at right angles and through the uprights.      When the AB's were playing into the wind they dropped one of the forwards back as an extra full back - I think it was John Graham.     

showing your age there Eljay...I wasn,t born until 66...but remember Pops reciting that Don Clarke Parallel kick, and yep Bloke, I remember that slippery,splashy scottish game and Sidney Milton Going.

Stop it you lot !...names like Grant Batty, Bryan Williams....Spring to mind...the list of greats, just goes on and on !

Hope that record stays in tact Ohokaman, and Blue, I hope your right mate, but I,m a little bit worried (only a little bit) 

52 minutes ago, Blue said:

Great place in winter , the 'cake tin.' I remember Hewson being treated for hypothermia, sitting out in the backs with nothing to do for 80 minutes in a howler.

Didnt he or Bernie Fraser or someone wear gloves?...Cant blame em....

Here ya go Blue 

8 hours ago, Blue said:

Great place in winter , the 'cake tin.' I remember Hewson being treated for hypothermia, sitting out in the backs with nothing to do for 80 minutes in a howler.

The "Cake Tin"  replaced Athletic Park well after Hewson finished playing.

Cannot remember the Hypothermia story re Hewson but can recall Hewson whilst  lining up a penalty for The All Blacks at Lancaster Park  being abused by Canterbury fans (sheep shaggers)  because they wanted Robbie "The Ram " Deans in The All Blacks. Bloody disgusting!

Deans finally made the All Blacks  but disapperared quickly after some average performances.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, Blue said:

I remember Hewson being treated for hypothermia

On 7/3/2017 at 10:57 AM, porky said:

Didnt he or Bernie Fraser or someone wear gloves?.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:16 PM, bloke said:

Cannot remember the Hypothermia story re Hewson

I think it was the 3rd test v the lions in 1983 in Dunedin. Fraser, Wilson and Hewson wore gloves cos it was so cold. Did they wear thermals for the first time too? I think so.

Black fingerless mittens is the image I remember.

Very Madonna like. Typical North Islanders lol