RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Well Done Team NZ

Cracker win by the Kiwis. I'm celebrating here in Oz. Well by myself as the locals don't care. I have a feeling that when the media gets going it will be an Oz win with Peter Burling making a guest appearance as helmsman

Anyway good on us. Reward for perserverence. 

It can stay for now...its a great thing for NZ and we all should be proud its a huge mountain to climb... Rumpole don't be such a downer on a fantastic effort ...yes it aint horse racing but it can run its course here then I will move it...cheers.

9 hours ago, hesi said:

No one reads Main Street Cafe(or Sports), so if posters feel they have something important to say, that they want to be seen, they start the thread on here

No it won't be like that but this is a huge victory for the whole country but it will be moved later....to where it belongs.

10 hours ago, hesi said:

Yep, well done, quite an achievement from a small country like NZ, who seem capable of continuing to produce top sailors and boat builders.

A bit of analogy there also with how the Racing industry used to be, and still is to a lesser extent, capable of producing top class thoroughbreds, and I should add, horse people.

Brutal world though, Dean Barker, once the darling of NZ yachting, maybe even sport, now relegated to an also ran, with Peter Burling firmly entrenched as the skipper of choice.

Spectacular watching, but there was something missing ????, let's hope NZ can bring that back.

Agree with you Crusty, some of those TV1 hosts, make you want to puke, but Prof Orams was a star, fancy that, Yachting has a professor

Maybe Racing should follow some of yachting's basics.

Grassroots yachting is strong with good clubs and courses throughout NZ. Most Kiwis live within an hour of a good course ,and the course stays good and consistent the entire year.Just tonight I saw yachts ,canoes and other types of watersports out on water till dark and its mid-winter.The courses are cheap to maintain.

Yes NZ produces many of the top sailors and boat builders and has done for years ,and they get exported to all parts of the world [ near water].

Most [possibly all]of the boats in the Americas Cup were built in NZ and most of the sailors were NZ or Aussie.

Its an expensive sport ,so it attracts the mega rich individuals and brands which desire to be global ........hence the funding of the NZ team was almost exclusively from offshore.

The whole package has grunt ,especially in big markets like the USA so TV gets involved and mainstream Media gives it plenty of coverage.

That is key.......I guess racings image cannot match that  nor will the Govt see horses as a huge pull for tourism.

So racing probably will never get the profile of the Americas Cup ....they are similar in that most of the world and even most of NZ don't give a rats arse about it.

NZ now gets to set the rules ,which could be interesting if they stiffen rules on Nationality.

8 hours ago, hesi said:

Can someone explain what the difference is between a skipper and a helmsman, and if as you would expect from the wording , the skipper leads the boat, why the helmsman is getting all the kudos(best sailor in the world stuff).................apart from the obvious

All the ships I have worked on, the Skipper [Captain] is in command. The helmsman steers the vessel where the skipper orders. I would assume the skipper in this case is the tactician [Navigator] and tells the helmsman [ Burling] when to tack or jive, and what course to steer.

8 hours ago, hesi said:

Can someone explain what the difference is between a skipper and a helmsman, and if as you would expect from the wording , the skipper leads the boat, why the helmsman is getting all the kudos(best sailor in the world stuff).................apart from the obvious

In this instance a skipper is someone conceived in a dark alley and raised in a jail, but he's trying to reform by marrying a Kiwi and  

embracing this country.

The helmsman on the other hand was born blessed and without sin, and sails accordingly.

On 2017-6-27 at 8:18 AM, rumpole said:

What has this got to do with thoroughbred racing????

OK we won but that does not compare with the ABs beating the Lions or Kiwi winning the Melbourne cup

It's catching on.

Waverley Races on Thursday - The "Up yours Jimmy - we've won the Cup" Hack Handicap, R65, 6 laps of the track, 3 going left handed, 3 going right handed, all horses supported by a cyclist seated behind the jockey.

Guest 2Admin2
11 minutes ago, Uriah Heap said:

It's catching on.

Waverley Races on Thursday - The "Up yours Jimmy - we've won the Cup" Hack Handicap, R65, 6 laps of the track, 3 going left handed, 3 going right handed, all horses supported by a cyclist seated behind the jockey.

Sounds like a gypsy harness race.

3 hours ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

Tasmanian racing man nows that kiwis love a boat race, n0?:P

Only when we win Olympic Goldscs and Americascs Cupscs !

Otherwise the AC is just a rich mans hobby, and pure indulgence.

So in a few weeks the talk here went from ,'Who cares" its a rich mans game and NZ is only there because of overseas money ........TO.......did you see that amazing tack and beautiful gybe ,plus the country gets out of bed at 5 am to beat that stirring Aussie Jimmy Pitball.

We...yes WE just won the AC...amaaazing ,take the day off work to cheer them home...WE just beat the world ,never mind that all the boats and sailors were NZ and Aussie.

On 6/27/2017 at 8:18 AM, rumpole said:

What has this got to do with thoroughbred racing????

OK we won but that does not compare with the ABs beating the Lions or Kiwi winning the Melbourne cup

I agree. Its not a real competition.... 6 odd entrants with big money and even bigger egos.Watched by less than 1 percent of a world wide audience.  Least it will give the remers housewives something to pontificate about over their lattes...

And now Bill English is talking taxpayer money to fund in part the next challenge... they can fund their own indulgences. If so where is the free hand out for the racing industry. Sir John almost got ripped off to the tune of  5 million by Dean Lonegan in the boxing debacle. When  he realized it had to be repaid they didnt want it....funny that I thought !! 

Dont get me wrong, great technology but very low on the excitement thrill scale.        

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 11:03 AM, rdytdy said:

.....winning the America's Cup with the odds and rules stacked against you is much bigger

Wrong. The rules this time dictated no major structural improvements or such, during racing. Therefore if you got the design right first time ,like we did with superior speed ,and then,couple that with superb sailing ability, it was all over red rover. Which made it a superb technical achievement for a small country with limited resources. Remember who bankrolled Oracle?.

I'm personally not a sailing fan , especially a bunch of high rollers, but will begrudgingly accept it was a superb effort.

Just don't come knocking for hand-outs next time.

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I'm surprised Richie mcaw didn't fly in and accept the cup on nzs behalf after all he has saved the world many times.....

what a load of crap... some of you in here really are unbelievable... what they achieved against a much bigger and better funded outfit was fantastic...just enjoy for a few days...is that not possible???

10 hours ago, Midget said:

In this instance a skipper is someone conceived in a dark alley and raised in a jail, but he's trying to reform by marrying a Kiwi and  

embracing this country.

The helmsman on the other hand was born blessed and without sin, and sails accordingly.

where did burling origanally come from i guess pommie land good old ashby from bendigo no water there and he is the skipper

21 hours ago, Trump said:

Great to see the "Real Housewives of Auckland" so prominent in Bermuda! Couldn't they find some "younger" real housewives? This looks like a new show, "the real Grandma's of Auckland!". :) 

Is that what Dalton was referring to when he mentioned "pushing oil around"? Some of those old boilers would need a bit of lube.

38 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

what a load of crap... some of you in here really are unbelievable... what they achieved against a much bigger and better funded outfit was fantastic...just enjoy for a few days...is that not possible???

Totally agree Scooby with the magnificence of the achievement Scooby but don't be so prickly about some having a different opinion.

Just now, chevy86 said:

Totally agree Scooby with the magnificence of the achievement Scooby but don't be so prickly about some having a different opinion.

No don't mind that at all... but just feel would it not be great we all just celebrate for a few days then all the relative discussions of the pros and cons can be discussed in the washup....

10 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

No don't mind that at all... but just feel would it not be great we all just celebrate for a few days then all the relative discussions of the pros and cons can be discussed in the washup....

Well I am normally a glass half empty kind of guy and that is just my make-up. However I was astounded by the comeback after the pitch-pole so huge accolades to TNZ. Having said that I would still prefer Spithill to have my back rather than Coutts, and unfortunately the graceless Dalton.

1 minute ago, Flagship uberalles said:

If they can't design a boat for tens of millions of dollars (or number 8 wire as some dickheads in the media have said) there's some thing wrong, the yanks had more money but obviously nz had better designers, none of those sailing clowns would piss on us if we were on fire. But if nz loses the Americas cup next time we will see how fickle the kiwi public really are!

So what as i said why not just cheer the achievement...so what if they are good guys or not...what they achieved was sensational and at the end of the day good for NZ.

4 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Wrong. The rules this time dictated no major structural improvements or such, during racing. Therefore if you got the design right first time ,like we did with superior speed ,and then,couple that with superb sailing ability, it was all over red rover. Which made it a superb technical achievement for a small country with limited resources. Remember who bankrolled Oracle?.

I'm personally not a sailing fan , especially a bunch of high rollers, but will begrudgingly accept it was a superb effort.

Just don't come knocking for hand-outs next time.

You are the one who is wrong. An underfunded team with much less resources has beaten the Oracle boat. They were last to arrive due to finances. Dalton is quoted as saying they haven't been able to pay the team members any wages for the last month and they are right now selling their boats to pay some of the bills over there. 

As to the rules Oracle were allowed two boats and the other competitors only the one. If Team NZ were not able to repair their boat then they were out. All over red rover. 

Team NZ were not allowed out on the course to train with another boat whilst Oracle trained with the Japanese entry etc etc.

So yes they did overcome the odds and the rules. 

11 hours ago, Midget said:

embracing this country.

What do you mean? The Aussies won the America's Cup didn't they?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/94192433/aussies-claim-americas-cup-glory

53 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Dalton is quoted as saying they haven't been able to pay the team members any wages for the last month and they are right now selling their boats to pay some of the bills

Oh give me a break. Dalton should sell some of his real estate to pay them. Chasing a dream for self interest whilst hanging on to his riches. I have no time for the man.

And if you notice I did say "with limited resources". We clearly had the quicker boat , which became clear very early on. Oracles two boats still weren't good enough, so all the extra training came to nought.. In fact the odds were stacked in our favor, as it became plaintively obvious.