RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

All Weather Tracks

Just now, Double R said:

Hi Barry,

No one is forcing people to watch these "boring races", but surely, our owners, trainer, jockeys and other associated connected participants need the security of knowing that their incomes will be regular, is paramount in our sport.

Cheers.

Robert.

No ones disagreeing with that Double R, spending many millions on a dull AW track won't solve that problem, it will only add to it. A huge cost that will take money better utilised elsewhere out of the system & on a white elephant.

21 hours ago, Berri said:

I watch quite a lot of racing. I've spent a lot of time in the States, Japan and the UK. I've been to the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Japan dirt Derby and very other type of second rate all weather track racing in the UK. All weather tracks are NOT the answer. Sure those top US races are sensational to be at. Saratoga in the summer is the place to be BUT average cannon fodder races for the masses is boring boring boring.

We need to think laterally and stand out from the crowd. Jumps racing in NZ in the winter is the way to go. We give the flat boys a holiday during the cold wet months while we structure an incredible race series based on championships for horses that don't get warm before they hit 3200m+. That means we have a brand new market for the slow ones that really want further but have conformation and courage. We then realise the value of these horse while making events for races with more than 20 runners in them that within a couple of years become the biggest betting events this side of the globe. Did you know that 6 of the top ten betting events in the UK are jumps races...or than in Japan the 5th top betting event is a jumps race?

And for good measure, the NZ industry sets up a satellite stable and training facility in Australia so that the flat bits can get access to that market in a subsidised process so that we earn Aussie $ with NZ people and horses. Lets call it Team NZ Racing and do what the boys are doing up in Bermuda.

Just a different angle.....

Absolutely agree.  A complete waste of money especially with climate change. Jumps racing and distance races are the go

11 minutes ago, barryb said:

No ones disagreeing with that Double R, spending many millions on a dull AW track won't solve that problem, it will only add to it. A huge cost that will take money better utilised elsewhere out of the system & on a white elephant.

I have suggested previously in another thread, an all weather could be funded by private and the racing board as a joint venture.

Three quarters of the problem isn't with  whether to hold racing on all weather tracks per se, its with tracks that have shite surfaces that when it rains the tracks become unsafe. I've posted a method for changing this but no-one has made contact so I would suggest that either

1. No-one is interested; or

2. No-one that is interested reads the content of this site.

In relation to jumping races, given the mandate to run them, own the media imprint, and obtain industry support to restructure racetracks and the racing calendar, I would propose to fund, manage and operate a series of jumping competitions over a six month period each year. If anyone wants to join the tribe to get it done, you know where to get hold of me. Someone needs to pick up the mantle.

41 minutes ago, Berri said:

Three quarters of the problem isn't with  whether to hold racing on all weather tracks per se, its with tracks that have shite surfaces that when it rains the tracks become unsafe. I've posted a method for changing this but no-one has made contact so I would suggest that either

1. No-one is interested; or

2. No-one that is interested reads the content of this site.

In relation to jumping races, given the mandate to run them, own the media imprint, and obtain industry support to restructure racetracks and the racing calendar, I would propose to fund, manage and operate a series of jumping competitions over a six month period each year. If anyone wants to join the tribe to get it done, you know where to get hold of me. Someone needs to pick up the mantle.

Hi Berri,

Your great vision and ideas are appreciated.

A lot of us, like yourself, want to move our sport if not forward, at least consolidate and update what is needed to keep thoroughbred racing.

Harness Racing has been using all weather tracks for over 50 years, and surely their overseas track consultants could assist Thoroughbred Racing? I have seen a harness track be groomed for World Class Speedway one night and ready for workouts the next day.

Cheers.

Robert.

The problem with NZ Jumps racing is lack of betting/turnover. Hard to justify stakes increases given betting. And the pool of jumping horses appears to be in terminal decline.

NZ winter racing is a dreadful betting product - inconsistent results, erratic form. 

They wax lyrical of Te Rapa, but in a global context it is just "okay" - and they only race 19 times a year!

We need a turf track which can handle at least 40 meetings a year. And we need to be racing on an all-weather track once a week through winter to take pressure off turf tracks when they are at their most vulnerable. 

Australians bet more on NZ racing than do NZers. But they don't bet as much, proportionately, as they do on our trots and dogs. That to me is either a failing of a our current racing product or promotion, or both.

But you have Trainers saying they love the racing on the poly tracks in winter! The problem at Pakenham has been explained so they will fix that with irrigation. (Personally, I don't bet on poly tracks). 

4 hours ago, berzerk said:

The problem with NZ Jumps racing is lack of betting/turnover. Hard to justify stakes increases given betting. And the pool of jumping horses appears to be in terminal decline.

NZ winter racing is a dreadful betting product - inconsistent results, erratic form. 

They wax lyrical of Te Rapa, but in a global context it is just "okay" - and they only race 19 times a year!

We need a turf track which can handle at least 40 meetings a year. And we need to be racing on an all-weather track once a week through winter to take pressure off turf tracks when they are at their most vulnerable. 

Australians bet more on NZ racing than do NZers. But they don't bet as much, proportionately, as they do on our trots and dogs. That to me is either a failing of a our current racing product or promotion, or both.

The only reason why the jumping races are the way they are is lack of numbers, therefore lack of betting, therefore lack of stakes coming from the conventional hand outs. The game needs to change and that needs brave people who will take a risk. As I said, I'm going to put something together. might take me some time but it will happen

A number of the good jumpers go to aussie for the much higher stakes over there. Same problem as the flat, if we could keep them here, we would have some fantastic racing! I know a lot of people who love watching the jumpers. I think the fields over the last few seasons have generally been much better.