RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
legs&lashes

Positive move

Just heard a small piece of Edward Rennell on the radio yesterday and it appears that harness racing are really trying to help industry participants as they are offering young new entrants money for clothing driving gear etc and also young people that want to get into training a full set of race harness and an amount of cash.A great idea and one that helps to encourage new people into their industry.Was talking to a senior trainer the other day and it appears that Harness Racing have a great consultation process with trainers etc as well.

Does anyone know what is on offer for our young ones to encourage them to  get involved in greyhound racing??? Especially in the Northern region cos in my opinion that area is in trouble.

AC

I think those measures within our sport Craig are unlikely to work. More likely attractancts would be to provide a level playing field and for the industry to show some value to the smaller players of which most newby's are going to be.

1 hour ago, GOM said:

I think those measures within our sport Craig are unlikely to work. More likely attractancts would be to provide a level playing field and for the industry to show some value to the smaller players of which most newby's are going to be.

attractancts?, you cannot be serious.

You may be right John, I am not even sure there is such a word

Good on Craig for thinking positive but a new pair of black pants, a white shirt, a jacket and a lead and collar will not make much difference. I gues what he is saying is there should be more done to encourage young people into the sport and he is correct in saying the North is a good example of why. Although there are a few young trainers such as Hayley Mullane and Tacey Craik and Jarrod Udy etc, there are also a large number at the other end. I mentioned it to a fellow competitor the other week and he said it is an old man's sport!!!!. Old women do not apply.

That is all very well but old trainers do not last forever.

If I had a young person asking me if it was a good idea to start training I would have to be honest and say definitely not.

Do you really want the NZGRA spending more of your money on increasing their bureaucracy to intrude more in the lives of owners and trainers. I say stick to administration, and let the market dictate the health and well being of the industry. If the NZGRA were administrating well, and setting goals and developing sound visions, with growth being their main goal, then young people will become attracted.

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Do you really want the NZGRA spending more of your money on increasing their bureaucracy to intrude more in the lives of owners and trainers. I say stick to administration, and let the market dictate the health and well being of the industry. If the NZGRA were administrating well, and setting goals and developing sound visions, with growth being their main goal, then young people will become attracted.

If thats the case. Than this industry will have very little trainers in 20yrs time. The stake money simply has not kept up with the price it costs to look after a dog. Why would anyone want to train a dog when you can earn the same money without the added costs in other industries?

3 hours ago, alltheway!!! said:

If thats the case. Than this industry will have very little trainers in 20yrs time. The stake money simply has not kept up with the price it costs to look after a dog. Why would anyone want to train a dog when you can earn the same money without the added costs in other industries?

Thats a strange post ATW as other industries pay you to do a prerscribed job for an agreed amount of money whereas   in the Dogs it is result orientated, so the income is not gauranteed. At the moment if you increased the stakemoney you would benefit the same ones that have no trouble paying their bills right now.

In racing if you can not have the right animals and or not be able to train tham then the prizemoney is not going to make much difference. That is the way it is and the way it should be. As Michael Fay so succinctly told Chris Dickson all those years ago the ones with the gold call the shots. Fact of life.

8 hours ago, legs&lashes said:

Just heard a small piece of Edward Rennell on the radio yesterday and it appears that harness racing are really trying to help industry participants as they are offering young new entrants money for clothing driving gear etc and also young people that want to get into training a full set of race harness and an amount of cash.A great idea and one that helps to encourage new people into their industry.Was talking to a senior trainer the other day and it appears that Harness Racing have a great consultation process with trainers etc as well.

Does anyone know what is on offer for our young ones to encourage them to  get involved in greyhound racing??? Especially in the Northern region cos in my opinion that area is in trouble.

AC

They used to have a mentor system down south and a NZQA recognised course that many people attended with Keith Coppins many years back but nothing financial. There is not much "new blood" coming through as the trainers of the future will be children of current trainers ( happening now with your  Matt) , and on that subject if matt didn't have the backing of Stu D he probably wouldn't be where he is now.

Needs to be some incentives which there doesn't seem to be, even a industry funded kennels where all young trainers could get a leg up and be overseen by a senior trainer ( e.g Ray Adcock (south), Bill Hodgson(CD), Schofield(north) and say rent to buy kennels etc to give them a start. otherwise the industry will be stuffed in the next 20 years( maybe 10 even)

2 hours ago, GOM said:

Thats a strange post ATW as other industries pay you to do a prerscribed job for an agreed amount of money whereas   in the Dogs it is result orientated, so the income is not gauranteed. At the moment if you increased the stakemoney you would benefit the same ones that have no trouble paying their bills right now.

In racing if you can not have the right animals and or not be able to train tham then the prizemoney is not going to make much difference. That is the way it is and the way it should be. As Michael Fay so succinctly told Chris Dickson all those years ago the ones with the gold call the shots. Fact of life.

I think prize money would help, along with other added incentives that attract new people to the industry. I do not have all the answers but there must be creative ways to get more and younger people involved in the industry

Don't worry about the future the Coles have 5 children all coming through, all keen on the dogs. If they are learning off there father it will be a very interesting game in the years to come. There is youth coming through but they are learning. Sam lozell has started off recently and is doing very well with his small team. If you have the drive for it then just like any work place you can make it to the top. The money can't be to bad just look at the amount the top trainers on the premiership have made. 

Grnz put their roadshow on with their objectives to try and change the perception of the sport to the general public (which lets face it is terrible) and to try to intice new people to get Involved in the sport. I thought It was good. obviously proof is in the pudding and we'll see how it goes. But every old school participant just winges about everything that happens and is proposed in this game. I don't envy any person that works or has worked in the admin of the greyhound industry, in fact I think they are great because in the 20 years I've been in the game, it hasn't mattered who has been in charge or what they try, the same people just moan and moan!

I used to be a harness trainer and driver last year ( still a driver though not a very successful one) I took out my trainers licence for the dogs earlier this year and I am absolutely having a ball, I've had more success in 3 months training dogs than I did in 2 years training and 5 years driving horses . I am so used to having horses that the dogs don't nearly cost me as much as I thought they would ! I'm 26 years old and I must say hrnz have done a good thing re the clothing and harnesses as it used to cost almost 400 for a licence for just the year they have also waived the licence fees for all people under 30 years old . The least grnz could do would be to waive the licence fees for the young ones just getting into the game , just a thought . 

10 hours ago, Sarahkate said:

I used to be a harness trainer and driver last year ( still a driver though not a very successful one) I took out my trainers licence for the dogs earlier this year and I am absolutely having a ball, I've had more success in 3 months training dogs than I did in 2 years training and 5 years driving horses . I am so used to having horses that the dogs don't nearly cost me as much as I thought they would ! I'm 26 years old and I must say hrnz have done a good thing re the clothing and harnesses as it used to cost almost 400 for a licence for just the year they have also waived the licence fees for all people under 30 years old . The least grnz could do would be to waive the licence fees for the young ones just getting into the game , just a thought . 

Another question Kim is since you took out your license has anyone from the association touched base and see how you are going and what things they could help you with?

I would doubt it but if they don't just a simple phone call is not that hard to do. Keep up the good work and your passion is amazing 

14 hours ago, Sarahkate said:

I'm looking & thinking about becoming a trainer at the moment myself but not sure if it is worth the hassle or the money due to the lack of support from GRNZ

On 6/23/2017 at 10:31 PM, Sarahkate said:

It is so pleasing to read and enjoy such positive remarks.. 

The racing "game" is not an easy one but it can be very rewarding.

Take the "downs" in your stride and make the most of the "ups".

Best wishes and good luck.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:48 AM, Gary Sharp said:

I'm looking & thinking about becoming a trainer at the moment myself but not sure if it is worth the hassle or the money due to the lack of support from GRNZ

so lets dig the boot into nzgra gazza if you wanted to be a mechanic     you would do an apprenticeship as i see it most people that want to get involved in the industry would start of as a kennel hand or would speak to a trainer for advice eg schofield clark and probably spend time with them but hey if you want nzgra to throw money at you good luck with that   once again ill state that most trainers have an affiliation with in the the industry its not if some homeless person walks in off the street and wants to become a trainer