RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

On course betting irrelevant

I have managed to be at Ellerslie, Te Rapa, Pukekohe and Avondale in the past month and have to come to the conclusion that a lot of people are betting online through their phones while on course. 

Therefore the on course figures would be irrelevant compared to prior year, especially as year on year on mobile device betting will continue. 

So why continue this form of measurement?!?

1 hour ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I have managed to be at Ellerslie, Te Rapa, Pukekohe and Avondale in the past month and have to come to the conclusion that a lot of people are betting online through their phones while on course. 

Therefore the on course figures would be irrelevant compared to prior year, especially as year on year on mobile device betting will continue. 

So why continue this form of measurement?!?

I agree with the phone betting statement Shane,  But on-course attendance figures is a different story...gate,drink,food sales and staff required,combined with the

atmosphere created and enjoyment of the day, making growing crowd numbers very relevant...

The fact clubs only receive a % of on course turnover, with more betting via phone rather than the tote window, definitely backs up your statement though and means there is less incentive to attract a larger crowd (new blood)...maybe growing crowd numbers should be accorded a % payout somehow to progressive clubs to halt racings demise.  

41 minutes ago, hesi said:

A few years ago, Chris Weaver came on her and said that of Ellerslie's profit, only 15% came from the cut on wagering.

Racing Clubs don't release oncourse attendance figures, do they?

And since then, that was halved from 17% to 8.5% for FY16. From 17% to 0% for industry days. So why would clubs be bothered about it?

9 minutes ago, hesi said:

I think he mean't, of all the income they receive on racedays(gate sales, food, drink, hospitality packages etc etc), only 15% comes from what they get off wagering, and as you say, that will have reduced with it going from 17 to 8.5% of oncourse turnover

Yip, I got that and think you are right. Just pointing out that if it were 15% then it's probably less than half that now and for ARC particularly, with growing non-racing revenue streams, probably even less than that.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

Yip, I got that and think you are right. Just pointing out that if it were 15% then it's probably less than half that now and for ARC particularly, with growing non-racing revenue streams, probably even less than that.

what are the powers that be doing to address falling attendance ?

18 minutes ago, porky said:

what are the powers that be doing to address falling attendance ?

Sweet FA Porky. I doubt they are particularly interested as long as punters bet somewhere.

On-course attendance has always been the responsibility of the Club. When was the last time you saw a meeting promoted..??

8 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Sweet FA Porky. I doubt they are particularly interested as long as punters bet somewhere.

On-course attendance has always been the responsibility of the Club. When was the last time you saw a meeting promoted..??

Must admit club posts on facebook for already interested parties...NZTR website , odd strategically placed sandwich board for major meets...BUT

sweet FA to entice newcomers... Natural Death looks imminent