RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
craigosz

Another nail in the South Island racing coffin

Bit of a worrying statement from that Sandy person (no idea if that is a male or female name) that  "insists the benefits the racing clubs and their venues provided the community do not outweigh the harm caused there by gambling."

That does set a rather nasty and arbitary precedent. As awareness of the consequences of concussion becomes more prevalent will they then withdraw support from rugby. Will the warriors be banned from the stadium because lots of league players are druggies. Obviously no heavy metal bands there either.

And probably most significantly, I wonder how much gaming money went into their stadium from Lotto and various other operators. Millions I would suspect.

I presume the next step will be to see alcohol banned from all venues that receive any council support.

6 minutes ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

Where does the profit from pokie macines go nowadays? If to community good, the council's opinion is illogical. Perhaps they think that the N.Z.R.F.U. is not commercial.

Pokie money profit pays for the RIU and JCA. They fund themselves on the back of the down and outs of our society. The addicted and desperate.

There's a really good article in the SMH about the anti pokie revolution amongst Sydney bar owners, and the logic behind their actions in turfing the scum out of their joints.

Meantime we get a pro pokie, arguably immoral, well used Australian recruit with the highly unusual name "Berrrrrnard" ( who the fuck calls themselves Berrrrrnard !! ) to run NZTR, what chance have we got !!!!

Whether the pokies are right or wrong......

I go to the local (new) stadium to watch daughter play basketball and along the bottom of the scoreboard rolls 'thanks to the following sponsors.....'  One of whom is the New Zealand Racing Board.

Now it is nice to see good publicity from an obviously successful grant application but it would have been even nicer to have had (say) the President of the Greymouth Jockey Club or a local TAB operator with their picture in the paper presenting the cheque($10000 I believe).

Nobody has ever commented on it and I guess 99% of people don't care but every time it rolls past I am delighted to see it and think of them getting money from that source.  But gee I wish there had been some decent publicity in it for the racing game.  All the mainstream media portrays in racing is either the bad stuff or the comedy like Trentham yesterday.

The TAB or the Trust should be saying to donee organisations 'we require a publicity photo and any possible promotion of the grant'.   Or signage saying 'the TAB - proud to support West Coast Basketball'.   Lotto constantly flog the crap on TV about how much good they do - where is the racing game doing the same?

8 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Whether the pokies are right or wrong......

I go to the local (new) stadium to watch daughter play basketball and along the bottom of the scoreboard rolls 'thanks to the following sponsors.....'  One of whom is the New Zealand Racing Board.

Now it is nice to see good publicity from an obviously successful grant application but it would have been even nicer to have had (say) the President of the Greymouth Jockey Club or a local TAB operator with their picture in the paper presenting the cheque($10000 I believe).

Nobody has ever commented on it and I guess 99% of people don't care but every time it rolls past I am delighted to see it and think of them getting money from that source.  But gee I wish there had been some decent publicity in it for the racing game.  All the mainstream media portrays in racing is either the bad stuff or the comedy like Trentham yesterday.

The TAB or the Trust should be saying to donee organisations 'we require a publicity photo and any possible promotion of the grant'.   Or signage saying 'the TAB - proud to support West Coast Basketball'.   Lotto constantly flog the crap on TV about how much good they do - where is the racing game doing the same?

Yes racing has a habit of only promoting the good things in does internally or to itself, in stead of as you say getting some great external promo for the sport.

No racing shoots itself in the foot every year without fail when David Ellis does his mainstream TV show at yearling sakes time ( quite rightfully touting for business for Te Akau ) and tells the world " there's never been a better time to invest and racing is in fine fettle ", and that spiel is normally accompanied by shots of Range Rovers, champagne, and various celebrities lurking around tents bulging with caviar and cucumber sandwiches.

The average Kiwi punter has no idea how sick the game is, and nor do those administrators who draw a salary because they don't see the sick side of the game, and they don't bleed the way we do.

Usual story though, you deserve what you get and you get what you deserve, and as long as the pale stale males run racing, and the likes of the Trainers Assn sit idle nothing will change.

We're sliding into oblivion sadly.