RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

Box Seat: What to do with the Jewels?

Agree Lamour - Ashburton is superb - I think the format or something needs a tweak to lift it - I think the mile racing has run its course - 2200 maybe - I don't have the answer yet- but Ashburton is the right place

18 hours ago, turny said:

Agree Lamour - Ashburton is superb - I think the format or something needs a tweak to lift it - I think the mile racing has run its course - 2200 maybe - I don't have the answer yet- but Ashburton is the right place

Not sure Turny that simply changing the distance of the Jewel's is going to help.  I think the Jewels needs more promotion.

Why not have a dinner & party function based around the draw to get people into the party mood early.

Maybe the night before the Jewels have a party where trainers & drivers are interviewed and give an assessment of their chances.

Combine with local businesses, say a local supermarket where the week before the jewels all customers receive a card with a horses name on it.  Take it to the course and if your horse wins you go in a draw for a overseas trip for two.  This would get some locals along to the track that may have otherwise not gone.

Approach the Ashburton or Cambridge Council about decorating the main street of the town with Harness Jewels Flags to make the local population aware of the event so they can get behind it.

Just a few thoughts

15 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I agree about the mile thing, its what makes nz harness unique, not going down the mile road all the time,

Personally I love mile racing,

I agree with you however that we would not want to go down the USA/Aussie road of all mile racing.  I think we have the mix about right now.  The Jewels are the only big mile races we have and the mile is one aspect that makes them different from almost all of our other major races.

You are right in what you say that having a range of distances makes our racing more interesting , but mile racing should not be excluded from that mix