RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Diver Dan

Riccarton OMG!

How bad is this track - seriously. You could throw in Counties, Ellerslie and Awapuni, etc.

The rail is  Out 8m to 1100m then 11m to winning post.

8 Races - 62 horses(might be less by tomorrow)

The 65 and 75 class horses running for the same money as maidens - how do owners feel about this - do you really want to win and go up in class and race for 10k stake again???

How does South Island racing continue - seriously.

How do punters keep coming back for this nonsense - seriously.

1 hour ago, Diver Dan said:

How bad is this track - seriously. You could throw in Counties, Ellerslie and Awapuni, etc.

The 65 and 75 class horses running for the same money as maidens - how do owners feel about this - do you really want to win and go up in class and race for 10k stake again???

Just in case you hadn't noticed Dan, 65 and 75 horses also race for $10,000 at this level of meeting in the NI. Not so long ago they were racing for $7,000.

Having said that, it is interesting that probably the four worst winter tracks in the country are Ellerslie, Trentham, Riccarton and Wingatui. Weird isn't it. Surely you would expect the tracks in the main centres to be the best. Surely it can't be long until they stop racing on some of these tracks during the winter months. There really is no need to use some of these tracks at this time of year.

On that subject, distantly, what is the story with Waimate? Is it gone for good?

I can't figure out what the point of using Ellerslie is in the winter.

Dreadful racing(outside of the jumps races) particularly the past 3 meetings, poor fields just no punting interest at all. First 4 races on Saturday couldn't even muster  a 3rd dividend.

Why do they keep racing at these centres in the winter?

1 hour ago, Huey said:

I can't figure out what the point of using Ellerslie is in the winter.

Dreadful racing(outside of the jumps races) particularly the past 3 meetings, poor fields just no punting interest at all. First 4 races on Saturday couldn't even muster  a 3rd dividend.

Why do they keep racing at these centres in the winter?

I remember going to a meeting there in the mid 1990's and it was like that.  Over 20 years have passed and nothing appears to have changed much.

17 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Agree DD that the track with the rail out is painful here. 

Being fair to Riccarton though - the recent carnival through April/May the stakemoney was excellent. We raced a couple of times in $20,000  R65 races, and for those up the grades or in age group races there was obviously even better money.

Personally from an equality viewpoint I don't mind $10k maidens & R65 races  - making that first win feel a bit better financially works for me, and as someone pointed out $10k for R65 is historically better than we have seen. 

Economically still not enough of course, and I'm not an apologist for the powers that be - but I don't think this is a Riccarton issue.

The TAB website says it's a guaranteed 25k Pick 6, but when you click on the betslip it says the pool is 40k.  Which is it?

Otherwise unless you're an owner I see zero excitement factor about today apart from CWJ's seven rides that I can enjoy without having a bet.  Thanks for putting some interest into an otherwise uneventful time on the racing calendar CWJ and I hope NZTR and or NZRB see you right for it in some way.