RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Eclipsed

Dame Companion

Rare accomplishment for anybody to have achieved this honour- well desreved Julie Christie.

Leo and Brian would have sat around their dinner table in Greymouth and at that stage never thought that their younger sister would have got to where she now is.

Has an interest in racing.....calls a spade a spade (often) .....how good would she go as the Chair of the NZRB....'twould be a fine thing!.....just a thought.

7 hours ago, Trump said:

And why are we not surprised? Mediocrity breeds mediocrity. 

It's worse than that.

I can't tell the story here because she wouldn't want me to, but the Member's Council is corrupted by at least two influential individuals who have no morals, integrity or ethics.

8 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Rare accomplishment for anybody to have achieved this honour- well desreved Julie Christie.

Leo and Brian would have sat around their dinner table in Greymouth and at that stage never thought that their younger sister would have got to where she now is.

Has an interest in racing.....calls a spade a spade (often) .....how good would she go as the Chair of the NZRB....'twould be a fine thing!.....just a thought.

Congratulations to Julie on becoming a Dame. Family will be proud.

Dame Julie Christie was founder and chief executive of international television production company Touchdown from 1991until 2013, exporting programmes and licensing intellectual property to 30 countries.

She was a member of the organising board of the Rugby World Cup 2011 and has been a member of the New Zealand Rugby Union commercial committee since 2012.

She told RNZ she was proud to have been made a Dame and knew it would have also made her parents proud.

The former board member of New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, who is now part of a group working with the government's export business growth agenda, was appointed an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2007 for her services to film and television.

Dame Julie said she was not sure what bearing the new title would have overseas.

"I don't think I'll be using it that much...I don't actually know because it's never happened to me before. To me, it's an accolade - I guess it's a thanks for the work I've done on some of the boards and for a long television career."

Dame Julie plans to celebrate at home today with family and close friends.

No mention of Media Works board, or Bravo Board amongst others, or all the good horses she owns all or a part of.

I'm pretty sure she actually owns and races more horses than the entire NZRB and NZTR boards combined if you ignore "Played and Missed" Jackson and his rapidly diminishing team.

It's also of curious interest that Labour and Helen Clark gave her the NZOM and now National have made her a dame.

I should also mention that it's of great delight that she is generally considered to have been responsible for getting that whinging left wing loser John Campbell off our screens, I don't if that's actually true but if it is that's worthy of a gong in itself.

2 minutes ago, Midget said:

No mention of Media Works board, or Bravo Board amongst others, or all the good horses she owns all or a part of.

I'm pretty sure she actually owns and races more horses than the entire NZRB and NZTR boards combined if you ignore "Played and Missed" Jackson and his rapidly diminishing team.

It's also of curious interest that Labour and Helen Clark gave her the NZOM and now National have made her a dame.

I should also mention that it's of great delight that she is generally considered to have been responsible for getting that whinging left wing loser John Campbell off our screens, I don't if that's actually true but if it is that's worthy of a gong in itself.

Could she make a comeback and do us all a favour by getting rid of Duncan Lefty Garner and buckteeth as well

One of the intriguing (sad?) things about Business and Boards is that, in "some" environments, the Boards are stacked with persons who either don't have the ability to perform, or are allergic (ignorant?) to reform and change. I was once "asked" to go on a Board and accepted the challenge. I was put on the Finance Committee within that Board. There was a very urgent need to clean up some wasteful areas but the FC Chairman wouldn't listen to any of the measures I suggested and as a result, nothing changed and the waste continued. After 3 months and Whilst he was in Hong Kong on holiday, I resigned from the Board and wrote a letter to the Chairman of the main Board outlining my reasons. To his credit, he soon removed the dickhead from that Finance position and things changed. In the meantime, my integrity remained intact. The Board members of NZR have a choice. If they can't see the problems facing NZR and provide the Leadership to enrich the Industry and it's players, they should move on or the Chair should enlist the reformers (eg, Dame JC ) and get the job done. One thing you don't want are hedge sitters. 

55 minutes ago, Midget said:

I should also mention that it's of great delight that she is generally considered to have been responsible for getting that whinging left wing loser John Campbell off our screens, I don't if that's actually true but if it is that's worthy of a gong in itself.

It is amazing the seeming lack of interest or participation NZ racing has in the actual game itself.  I work two jobs to have a share in a horse.  If I had John Allen's role (and pay) I would have 20 horses in work :-)

2 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Trump - the big problem with NZ racing, as has been for some time - the Managing Boards are full of backslappers and pocket pissers.

Half the statutory boards(and the Councils) on the country are full of people pissing in each others pockets but hey that is the world we live in.  Even if Julie had got onto the Racing Board how would you deal with the inertia of the incumbents?  And just like the councils and 99% of Statutory Boards the reality is the staff make the calls and the Board just rubber stamps them while they look longingly at the liquor cabinet waiting for the meeting to be over 

Julie's major issue with racing appointments (I suspect) would be her name.   I do not understand why she would have ever put her name forward.

NZRB and NZTR need a wholesale clean out of the lot of them and replaced by Racing people not political appointees and idiots.

You could the sum total of Glenda's racing knowledge on the inside of a very small matchbox with a very large crayon.  She did however once stand for the National party

4 hours ago, Trump said:

One of the intriguing (sad?) things about Business and Boards is that, in "some" environments, the Boards are stacked with persons who either don't have the ability to perform, or are allergic (ignorant?) to reform and change. I was once "asked" to go on a Board and accepted the challenge. I was put on the Finance Committee within that Board. There was a very urgent need to clean up some wasteful areas but the FC Chairman wouldn't listen to any of the measures I suggested and as a result, nothing changed and the waste continued. After 3 months and Whilst he was in Hong Kong on holiday, I resigned from the Board and wrote a letter to the Chairman of the main Board outlining my reasons. To his credit, he soon removed the dickhead from that Finance position and things changed. In the meantime, my integrity remained intact. The Board members of NZR have a choice. If they can't see the problems facing NZR and provide the Leadership to enrich the Industry and it's players, they should move on or the Chair should enlist the reformers (eg, Dame JC ) and get the job done. One thing you don't want are hedge sitters. 

That would be an acknowledgement of their own personal failure Trumpy....not likely to happen is it...??

"I'll make the most of my comfortable, well remunerated, unaccountable position until someone pushes me..."

That seems to be the Motto these days......:rolleyes:

Hey guys I know I speak for Julie in expressing her thanks for the kind words and expressions of support.  Whether her skills are ever called into use in the racing industry remains to be seen but it is nice to see people with confidence that she could make a difference.  God knows we need someone to take control(and soon!)

Brian Molloy

22 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

It is amazing the seeming lack of interest or participation NZ racing has in the actual game itself.  I work two jobs to have a share in a horse.  If I had John Allen's role (and pay) I would have 20 horses in work :-)

You should be applauded Shane, bloody good on you, if only there were more like you.