RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Steve Donovan

TAB Site down ( again)

Yeah only took them the best part of 90 minutes. Would LOVE to know how much that would have cost them. With respect to Rumpole and any other punters who got burned by the TAB's incompetence, I'm glad, I hope their fucking system crashes every Saturday..... oh wait.. IT ALREADY DOES :lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, JOT said:

Facebook Message

We are aware that some customers are having issues accessing their accounts. Our team is working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. In the meantime you can place your bets via Touchtone (0800 10 20 33 or 04 472 7888).

took your advice tried touchtone got bet on Ellerslie  race 7 but as for Wanganui 8 i tried 23 times

to back Duffers Creek so there will be trouble  i am highly pissed off

1 minute ago, hesi said:

64 million dollar question though

Will Dillo write an article demanding someone be held to account, like he did in this morning's herald about the Eagle Farm track

Unlikely:rolleyes:

He's on their team now isn't he? How can he call for his bosses to be held to account??

They are missing an opportunity though. They have several disgruntled punters here and would be a great (and relatively cheap) goodwill gesture to give loyal longtime NZ racing bettors like Hedley and Rumpole something to compensate for their loss due to their own system failures. Doesn't take much imagination to do that. But by and large they don't understand their business and therefore don't appreciate how hard it is to win on the punt, without additional intangibles being thrown in. It's no wonder so many have deserted them. Very poor form all round, as usual.

3 minutes ago, Yir Tiz said:

Gee all those upgrades and maintenance outages have really done the job eh?....:rolleyes:

Their system slows down every Saturday just to different levels, Sometimes results are very slow and occasionally like today the site shits itself and you can't log in. What I don't get is the numbers aren't that big compared to overseas firms, some of whom have upwards of a million active clients. The TAB have nowhere near that, their system must be ancient. Not only do they have to reboot it every day which no other company to my knowledge does, but even with all that they still have issues on any day with slightly bigger than average turnover. If they do achieve their target of doubling their client base, how on earth will they cope?

I mentioned in the earlier post that Trackside Radio are running a clip from Peter Earley's Wednesday show where the person (not sure if he is a NZRB or TAB guy) being interviewed is referring to overseas betting agencies as "parasites". After yet another debacle today and who knows how much this has sucked out of NZ Racing, the NZRB need to look in the mirror in regards to parasites.

like iv'e said when stuff ups are made they need to give away free bets etc to compensate i really bet with  them cant be bothered with the bs. they are clueless they continue to walk around petone looking like they lost a prime fillet and found a chipolata.

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Their system slows down every Saturday just to different levels, Sometimes results are very slow and occasionally like today the site shits itself and you can't log in. What I don't get is the numbers aren't that big compared to overseas firms, some of whom have upwards of a million active clients. The TAB have nowhere near that, their system must be ancient. Not only do they have to reboot it every day which no other company to my knowledge does, but even with all that they still have issues on any day with slightly bigger than average turnover. If they do achieve their target of doubling their client base, how on earth will they cope?

This below was from 2009 and I don't think the new system went ahead (I stand to be corrected)... But if it is still Jetset then in computer terms "ancient" does not even come close. Prehistoric is closer to the fact. I would be interest to know if it is still Jetbet? If it has been replaced in the last few years... can we have Jetbet back, as it would have to be better, then again so would my 1970 led display calculator.

A Typhoon is about sweep through and replace the TAB's ageing Jetbet system.

The New Zealand Racing Board today announced it was installing a ''new, state of the art'' betting system called Typhoon to replace the current Jetbet system by December 2010.

Chief executive Andrew Brown described the Jetbet system as ''very old'' and said it was holding the business back.

He said the new Typhoon system would enable the TAB to drive revenue growth.

''Jetbet is nearly 28 years old, which is ancient in technology terms,'' he said in a statement.

39 minutes ago, LastOf40 said:

This below was from 2009 and I don't think the new system went ahead (I stand to be corrected)... But if it is still Jetset then in computer terms "ancient" does not even come close. Prehistoric is closer to the fact. I would be interest to know if it is still Jetbet? If it has been replaced in the last few years... can we have Jetbet back, as it would have to be better, then again so would my 1970 led display calculator.

A Typhoon is about sweep through and replace the TAB's ageing Jetbet system.

The New Zealand Racing Board today announced it was installing a ''new, state of the art'' betting system called Typhoon to replace the current Jetbet system by December 2010.

Chief executive Andrew Brown described the Jetbet system as ''very old'' and said it was holding the business back.

He said the new Typhoon system would enable the TAB to drive revenue growth.

''Jetbet is nearly 28 years old, which is ancient in technology terms,'' he said in a statement.

This is one of the finest moments in the history of this proud organisation. Brown and his cohorts DID sign a contract to buy Typhoon, but there was just one small problem. It didn't work. And instead of costing them $5 million over five years it ended up costing them $14 million and forcing them to close their Auckland phone betting operation and sell their building in Ellerslie. 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10873532

Could this have been avoided? Well, obviously. The Typhoon people also approached the Tasmanian TAB who asked a well known Australian bookie to have a look at it. After one meeting and a few pertinent questions he told the Tassie TAB that Typhoon was not suitable. 

The New Zealand Racing Board, however, in their infinite wisdom, gleefully signed on the dotted line, spending money that wasn't theirs, and proclaimed to the world they were about to morph into a major player in the betting industry. 

Unfortunately the lessons of this tragic tale were not learned. After replacing Brown with a banker who proceeded to hire as many of his banker mates as he could, they are now pinning their faith on a former Postman and his ex-cop sidekick to lead them to the promised land, again in an industry that neither of them has the slightest clue about. 

And with the Race Fields legislation hype and the Paddy Power deal and the deal with this New York company who no one in the industry has heard of, again we are getting the corporate rhetoric that the outlook is rosy and apparently ridiculous targets are well within reach. 

The reality of the situation could not be more different, They are the worst run betting organisation in the world, whose ancient system can't handle even their dwindling customer base, despite being rebooted every 24 hours! 

4 hours ago, kdt said:

I mentioned in the earlier post that Trackside Radio are running a clip from Peter Earley's Wednesday show where the person (not sure if he is a NZRB or TAB guy) being interviewed is referring to overseas betting agencies as "parasites". After yet another debacle today and who knows how much this has sucked out of NZ Racing, the NZRB need to look in the mirror in regards to parasites.

I heard that clip the other day and thought, here's a guy who's getting his salary paid for by punters betting on a show put on by owners who have stuff all chance of breaking even, trainers and their staff working often for less than minimum wage and little people risking life and limb and he's talking about other people being parasites.  Takes one to know one, I guess.

Invariably the Neanderthal TAB system crashes on Holiday Weekends. Expect the same tomorrow Queen's Birthday Monday. The much vaunted Paddy Power platform will probably suffer the same fate as the Typhoon debacle. The six figure salaried heads of the TAB should venture out and man a TAB terminal every so often. They might learn something from Joe Blow punters!

29 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

It is the insidious affliction of our bloated bureaucracies, mostly in the public sector--NO ONE IS ACCOUNTABLE. At least our sufferance is  temporary and financial only--imagine the grief of those affected by Cave Creek, CTV Building, Pike River ---

They did identify those responsible for Cave Creek Chevy but it has led to a real bad trait in Public Servant types - paranoia at making a mistake and being held accountable for a mistake.  Anyone who has tried to build a house and had to deal with the Council knows the phenomena.  Similarly the Resource Management Act and the Health and Safety legislation - all set up to stop people trying to get ahead from doing so.

I terms of the TAB well when you insist on appointing people who know nothing of the industry....  Glenda and John are probably lying on the couch on the long weekend thinking 'they can fix it Tuesday'.

I'm not much of an exotic punter (each way usually maybe the odd trifecta) but to me the software seems Ok (takeout far too high still of course) - why the hell are they not updating the hardware to handle the increased volumes and changed mix of betting to more Internet?