RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Paddymc

New Stallion at Highview

Highview will stand a Group1 winning son of High Chaparral.  Thoughts?

http://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/21719/Highview-signs-Group-One-winner-to-roster-.aspx

http://www.pedigreequery.com/wrote

HIGH CHAPARRAL (IRE)
b. 1999
SADLERS WELLS (USA)
b. 1981 [CS]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)
b. 1961 [BC]
  NEARCTIC (CAN)
br. 1954
NEARCO (ITY) br. 1935 [BC]
LADY ANGELA (GB) ch. 1944
NATALMA (USA)*
b. 1957
NATIVE DANCER (USA) gr. 1950 [IC]
ALMAHMOUD (USA) ch. 1947 *
FAIRY BRIDGE (USA)*
b. 1975
BOLD REASON (USA)
b. 1968
HAIL TO REASON (USA) br. 1958 [C]
LALUN (USA) b. 1952 *
SPECIAL (USA)*
b. 1969
  FORLI (ARG) ch. 1963 [C]
THONG (USA) b. 1964 *
KASORA (IRE)
b. 1993
DARSHAAN (GB)
br. 1981
SHIRLEY HEIGHTS (GB)
b. 1975 [CP]
MILL REEF (USA) b. 1968 [CS]
HARDIEMMA (GB) b. 1969
DELSY (FR)
blk/br. 1972
ABDOS (FR) br. 1959
KELTY (FR) b. 1965
KOZANA (GB)
dkb/br. 1982
KRIS (GB)
ch. 1976
  SHARPEN UP (GB) ch. 1969 [BC]
DOUBLY SURE (GB) b. 1971
KOBLENZA (FR)
b. 1966
HUGH LUPUS (FR) b. 1952
KALIMARA (FR) b. 1960
DESERT CLASSIC (GB)
b. 2002
GREEN DESERT (USA)
br. 1983
DANZIG (USA)
b. 1977 [IC]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)
b. 1961 [BC]
  NEARCTIC (CAN) br. 1954
NATALMA (USA) b. 1957 *
PAS DE NOM (USA)
br. 1968
ADMIRALS VOYAGE (USA) dkb/br. 1959
PETITIONER (GB) b. 1952 *
FOREIGN COURIER (USA)
b. 1979
SIR IVOR (USA)
b. 1965 [IC]
SIR GAYLORD (USA) br. 1959 [IC]
ATTICA (USA) ch. 1953 *
COURTLY DEE (USA)*
dkb/br. 1968
NEVER BEND (USA) br. 1960 [BI]
TULLE (USA) b. 1950
HIGH STANDARD (GB)
ch. 1992
KRIS (GB)
ch. 1976
  SHARPEN UP (GB)
ch. 1969 [BC]
ATAN (USA) ch. 1961
ROCCHETTA (GB) ch. 1961
DOUBLY SURE (GB)
b. 1971
RELIANCE (FR) br. 1962 [SP]
SOFT ANGELS (GB) ch. 1963
DURRAH (USA)
b. 1985
NIJINSKY (CAN)
b. 1967 [CS]
NORTHERN DANCER (CAN)   b. 1961 [BC]
FLAMING PAGE (CAN) b. 1959 *
SPECIAL (USA)*
b. 1969
  FORLI (ARG) ch. 1963 [C]
THONG (USA) b. 1964 *

Traces back to the influential broodmare Special. Won the G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile on turf at a mile then didn't really train on at 3, which explains the modest service fee.

4 hours ago, BruceL said:

Traces back to the influential broodmare Special. Won the G1 Breeders Cup Juvenile on turf at a mile then didn't really train on at 3, which explains the modest service fee.

Also Special in Sadlers Wells

Great cross but may not be potent

12 hours ago, optical said:

I see he has stood in the US since 2014. Maybe that has something to do with his modest fee? Still, attractive to the breeder who likes the bloodlines and wants to race. 

Only just 2YO's now and no runners yet so who knows ....

Found Wrote's Northern Hemisphere Auction results for 2016.

Five colts and two fillies. Service fee US$3,000.

2017 2016
  Covering Sire Weanlings Yearlings 2-Y-Os Covering Sire Weanlings Yearlings 2-Y-Os
Number Sold 0 0 0 0 0 1 7 0
Total Average $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $2,500 $3,957 $0
Total Median $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $2,500 $1,500 $0
Colt Average n/a $0 (0) $0 (0) $0 (0) n/a $2,500 (1) $5,040 (5) $0 (0)
Filly Average n/a $0 (0) $0 (0) $0 (0) n/a $0 (0) $1,250 (2) $0 (0)

2 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

Found Wrote's Northern Hemisphere Auction results for 2016.

Five colts and two fillies. Service fee US$3,000.

2017 2016
  Covering Sire Weanlings Yearlings 2-Y-Os Covering Sire Weanlings Yearlings 2-Y-Os
Number Sold 0 0 0 0 0 1 7 0
Total Average $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $2,500 $3,957 $0
Total Median $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $2,500 $1,500 $0
Colt Average n/a $0 (0) $0 (0) $0 (0) n/a $2,500 (1) $5,040 (5) $0 (0)
Filly Average n/a $0 (0) $0 (0) $0 (0) n/a $0 (0) $1,250 (2) $0 (0)

I wouldn't worry about that, the Yanks under appreciate High Chap at any rate.

I really like this horse, however I'd be curious to know why Coolmore did not hang on to him? In saying that, to win a breeders cup Juvenile is excellent....His female line is superb and his fee is more than reasonable. But I guess, the commercial breeders will be drawn into Tivaci...

I would guess main reason is that his form after winning the Breeders Cup Turf Juvenile was very very average.

After winning the G1, he ran 3rd in a Dubai Derby, then was 3rd in a 5 horse G2 field beaten 7 3/4lengths as a hot favourite, then only 7th in the Irish Guineas, then beaten 32 lengths in the St James Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot, changed trainer and wetn to America then ran last in a G2 over there.

His form didn't stack up as a 3yo (was very average) and was shipped on by Coolmore, not knocking the horse as a stallion chance down here but that would be the reason Coolmore no longer have him I would suggest!

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify a couple of those issues raised about Wrote as best I can.

Coolmore trade a large number of horses particularly if the money is good enough. The horse that beat him in Dubai, Daddy Long Legs (Scat Daddy) was sold to HK after winning the Dubai Derby and he was also a 2yo that beat Wrote at Royal Ascot in a G2. Sweet Orange, a horse we stood was another sold by Coolmore to HK as a stakes winning 2yo. I know he was an expensive purchase amongst a package of horses sold to the current owner(s) as a racehorse, rather than a stallion but he had clearly trained off. hardly shipped on.

You can watch his run in the Dubai Derby where Helmet led them up for a fair way and it was a pretty solid effort. He sat 3 wide facing the breeze and wasn't beaten much by the winner and nothing in it for second. I know I wouldn't have been happy with the ride. I do agree he trained off or decided he would rather be a stallion and there is nothing new in that.

In summary we think he is a great prospect at a very modest fee. Time will tell but the response to him has been very encouraging.

Cheers

Best of luck with him Brent,

If he didn't train off (plenty stallions do), as a G1 winning son of High Chaparral he wouldn't be accessible for $5,000!

Well priced and hopefully he gets well supported!

Thanks for posting a response Brent.  Now we have you here  - I wonder if the moderators would indulge me and allow you to tell us a bit more about the horse - conformation, temperament - types of mares you think best suited and that sort of thing?  We know you have a vested interest (naturally) but I for one would nevertheless be interested to hear more about Wrote.

Kind regards,J

Hi Brent & Bruce - thanks to both of you for the input.  Brent thanks for the clarification on Wrote. I really like this horse and will be in touch with regarding one of our mares. 

While this thread is about Wrote, Highview's other stallion is on a roll at the moment - since 4 June, his 13 starters (in Oz/NZ/HK) have got 4 wins, 2 seconds, 3 thirds, 2 4ths & 2 5ths - one of the 5ths was in the Queensland Derby

21 hours ago, jess said:

Thanks for posting a response Brent.  Now we have you here  - I wonder if the moderators would indulge me and allow you to tell us a bit more about the horse - conformation, temperament - types of mares you think best suited and that sort of thing?  We know you have a vested interest (naturally) but I for one would nevertheless be interested to hear more about Wrote.

Kind regards,J

I'm more than happy to answer the above question of ...what sort of mares would suit this stallion..?  not on type but from pedigree or line breeding point of view.

And before I start I would like to add I have no vested interest in this stallion or connections with Highview Stud. However I do race a horse by Sufficient who has won three from six starts (bred solely on line breeding principles) and would not have existed without Brent's initiative. 

I think Wrote is a very exciting stallion with some exceptional bloodlines and when matched with the right mares will have the capabilities to produce some outstanding racehorses.

My reasons are  when looking at any horse, (stallion or mare) the first place I look is it's 'bottom line' or female family and as we can see Wrote belongs to the world class female family of Sadler's Wells, Nureyev and Fairy King.   More importantly when we look at the best strike rate of Group One winners produced by stallions like Sir Tristram, Redoute's Choice, and Zabeel their best results came when their 'bottom line' or female family was bred back to.

grosvenor.thumb.png.2820a3a7efc9518c9bbc434986e70f8e.png

Line breeding to Zabeel's 'bottom line' or female family produced a strike rate of  1 Group One winner in every 7 runners.  Over four times better than his own average.

hades.thumb.png.619f19b5b03c0628cb4595e35e9fb255.png

When looking at the pedigrees above we can see that this is similar to the pattern that took place when line breeding to Sir Tristram's 'bottom line' ........... a double of the pattern occurs

Wrote not only comes from the female family of.... Special ....it is carried through his sire also. 

mahaya.thumb.png.2bd95b2d2ff6eec452ebb773f728e0fe.png

Agree with you La Zip, and the expected progeny would also have a double of Sadler's Wells  which is appearing in a number of good horses in the UK. 

If you are unable to breed to the  'Special' bloodlines with WROTE there is still a multitude of options using line breeding to help increase the odds of producing a good horse.

So before expand on these I will explain a little on what I consider to be a good pedigree from a 'line breeding point of view.

This horse below is a great example aof one and was Horse of the Year in 20012 & 2013 and winner of  $7.5 million.

When planning thoroughbred matings I always start with the male line of the mare.  Using one of the names on this 'male line' I would try and breed back to it as above,(through the bottom line of the stallion,) and if not possible then to one of the 'brood-mare sires' in that female line like below

5959f84d94750_wisedan.thumb.png.e05b0cf128956f6b509bc6a2716ca516.png