RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
45yearsofharness

Purdon & co

How do their horses keep running the times they run 27 - 28 quarters then run home in 26 -28 quarters, sitting parked and have some very nice horses struggling at the 600 - 400. ?? 

Quaters in 28 then 26 = half in 54 that's a mile in 1.48 but they run these times over distance, and it's not just one, they all seem to do it.

hard for owners and trainers to get one horse to run those times let alone the whole team.

12 minutes ago, 45yearsofharness said:

How do their horses keep running the times they run 27 - 28 quarters then run home in 26 -28 quarters, sitting parked and have some very nice horses struggling at the 600 - 400. ?? 

Quaters in 28 then 26 = half in 54 that's a mile in 1.48 but they run these times over distance, and it's not just one, they all seem to do it.

hard for owners and trainers to get one horse to run those times let alone the whole team.

It does defy logic.

How the hell Spanish Armada can sit outside a very good filly Bonny Joan over 2600m and win without being under pressure in the straight?..

Not only parked but into heavy wind and rain and a fast time would make her every bit as good as Adore Me and co.

The Allstars do it every year and every group race, it must be frustrating for all other trainers and owners?...

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

It does defy logic.

The Allstars do it every year and every group race, it must be frustrating for all other trainers and owners?...

And is this good for the game or not, will it scare owners and trainers and breeders away and send harness racing into a black hole.

Or does it create a situation where trainers lift their game to keep up?

1 hour ago, 45yearsofharness said:

And is this good for the game or not, will it scare owners and trainers and breeders away and send harness racing into a black hole.

Not good for the game.

There are some that think it is good for the game as they love watching good horses!

What it does do is puts a lot of people off punting in the Premier races as no value as TAB Bookies have them short.

Owners get sick off not being able to win the big stakes available as well.

Not tall poppy syndrome either!

1 hour ago, 45yearsofharness said:

In my opinion i think think its not good for the game, most struggle to find one to even get to that class, and if they do there swamped by all these top horses.

38 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Not good for the game.

There are some that think it is good for the game as they love watching good horses!

What it does do is puts a lot of people off punting in the Premier races as no value as TAB Bookies have them short.

Sure looks like it!!

Just a question for you Brodie, have you got anything positive to say about harness racing in NZ. Your anti new whip rules, anti handicapping changes and now this and that's in only 10 days

8 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Sure looks like it!!

Just a question for you Brodie, have you got anything positive to say about harness racing in NZ. Your anti new whip rules, anti handicapping changes and now this and that's in only 10 days

Newmarket, of course there is a lot of great things about NZ harness racing.

I love it!

Most things in life can be improved and making changes when changes are not required is not always for the better!

The whip is not appreciated by the Horsemen.

The handicapping rules I don't mind at all as helped the punting side of things, but not popular with many Newmarket.

As can be seen by the posters so far today the dominance is also not that popular either and beneficial for harness racing, Newmarket.

Just stating an opinion, Newmarket, and as you know, "The  Brodster is always on the money, and that is what some people don't like!

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

It does defy logic.

How the hell Spanish Armada can sit outside a very good filly Bonny Joan over 2600m and win without being under pressure in the straight?..

Not only parked but into heavy wind and rain and a fast time would make her every bit as good as Adore Me and co.

Spanish Armada is far better than the other fillies that is why she is dominant. It might not seem fair, but generally this happens most seasons, where one filly is far superior to the others. Dominant fillies of the past include Carabella (11 starts, 10 wins as a 3yo and four NZ records), Kiwi Ingenuity, Adore Me, Venus Serena.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Not good for the game.

I remember a leading trainer telling me years ago, after my commenting on how well his results were going, said, " Ah, but you do not see the not so good ones which we have at home".

The Allstars get wonderful results for sure, but they did have 15 horses racing in 7 races on Friday night, and although they did get 3 wins, it may have been much less than their expectations.

I know it does not stop me taking shares in yearlings not trained by Allstars.

27 minutes ago, Basil said:

In which version of the English language does "never" mean "always"? :D

Hi Basil.

Great to have you join in.

Always on the money is not never in the Brodster vocabulary!

Getting back to the subject. 

Great have good horses, loved watching Young Quin, Robalan, Scotch Tar, No response, Christover Vance, Yulestar, Delightful Lady,  Auckland Reactor, Christian Cullan, Terror to Love, etc, could go on, but notice, most are from different trainers and owners. 

Point is we need good horses from more than one stable, otherwise we will end up with a handful of trainers training all the horses, as no one else will be able to compete.

no other country in the world has a dominating trainer like NZ has, it gets shared around, and that's how it needs to be done for it to survive in this country.

Not at all the All Stars teams fault, and good on them for being so professional in the way their operation works, but it could be the down fall for The future of HR in NZ.

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Any horse with a bit of promise from a small stable seems to be sold overseas very quickly, understandably due to the amount of horses all stars have in a big race or heat there of. that's why you see big money races with 6 horses, 4 all stars and a couple of 1 win horses. . there is some degree of team driving in the races all stars have an outside threat in. Apart from a decent bet I had on bonny Joan on Friday I won't touch premiere racing now, give me manawatu where all stars don't go!

Rubbish... more generalisations. Three listed races at Addington on Friday night were won by runners not trained by M. Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen. Enghien, Majestic Man and Dizzy Miss Lizzie are from smaller stables yet won listed races.

6 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

What gets me is that Spanish armardas run 3 starts ago in the Neville r fillies race, almost like they gave it to party on...second string driver on Spanish, and then all of a sudden it can sit parked outside a strong front running filly and make it look second rate, why wasn't it put in the race 3 runs back...it doesn't sit well with me

I agree I commented on this at the time and can't believe he didn't get a holiday for that shit drive on her. Looking at Friday's form she could have sat parked in that race and shit in. All you want went you back a horse if it loses to know that it had every possible opportunity to win a race. The horse was driven dead that night. Puts me off. 

34 minutes ago, Thejanitor said:

Rubbish... more generalisations. Three listed races at Addington on Friday night were won by runners not trained by M. Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen. Enghien, Majestic Man and Dizzy Miss Lizzie are from smaller stables yet won listed races.

They don't really train trotters anymore, pacers have all the money. Elle Mac very disappointing but will still probably run away in jewels 

29 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes I don't think they had any horses the trot races... They're not big on the trotters pity most age group pacing races are one way traffic...its not their fault but its a shame. It will be a shame if one day there are as many trainers as their are harness venues left in the north island a

They had trotters, Regal Love in Race 2, President Roydon in race 3 and One Muscle Hill (in their care ) in race 5.

roll on the jewels. all stars most likely win 6  .and perhaps as caretaker of one muscle hill. The dominance is not necessarily a bad thing as in all sports we love the champions .Some years ago hrnz suggested that mark and barry split up as they were getting too dominant. They agreed I believe only on a voluntary basis .At least All stars keep the serious punter informed on each horse"s progress on their website as do some others which is great.

10 hours ago, john legend said:

roll on the jewels. all stars most likely win 6  .and perhaps as caretaker of one muscle hill. The dominance is not necessarily a bad thing as in all sports we love the champions .Some years ago hrnz suggested that mark and barry split up as they were getting too dominant. They agreed I believe only on a voluntary basis .At least All stars keep the serious punter informed on each horse"s progress on their website as do some others which is great.

Yup the All stars surely go close to taking out the 6 pace races. Maybe the most open pace is the 2yo filly's, I could see anyone winning that. 

On 21/05/2017 at 6:25 PM, Thejanitor said:

Yes which is why more people are happy to race trotters. All Stars don't have a mortgage on those big races.

14 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

Until they get another Icandoosit...

That's not even a major concern. The worst part is when they have 7 or 8 of the best 10 in any division. Which hasn't been that uncommon in the last few years.

7 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

That's not even a major concern. The worst part is when they have 7 or 8 of the best 10 in any division. Which hasn't been that uncommon in the last few years.

What? I have a short memory, could you please enlighten me and name the seven or eight best trotters Purdon/Rasmussen have trained that have dominated each division in the last few years?

This is the stipe report after Spanish Armada failed to be put in the race in a questionable 4th;

5924a2b9b391b_ScreenShot2017-05-24at8_58_54am.png.fb4f20a68933732e3631cf2b93325807.png

Nothing. Nada. Some how Ken Barron was required to answer questions over the improved showing of Mighty American last Friday in a R60 1950m race.

5924a262c5a08_ScreenShot2017-05-24at8_50_10am.png.ec741bb3415831015b383130be976643.png

Yet when Spanish Armada licks them in the 1950m Group 1 after her average fourth, again nothing.

5924a263e0557_ScreenShot2017-05-24at8_50_24am.png.0ead01a3c9b4823c6a43e50d7c6c18d4.png