RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Eclipsed

NZRB -6 monthly result

Feel as though I missed my vocation and should have become a spin merchant.

NZRB's commentary on their published 6 mths result to 31 January 2017 says that it's a .......... "strong financial result largely driven by improved margins and good cost management."

Versus this person's read that  "the pokies are going ok and because a big offshore punter pulled out of our "product" the sales mix of bets on FOB has slowed down (against what we thought would happen)  so  our margin is up and we've kept our overall costs slightly up on the same period last year."

As well, didn't quite get the take out that their increased Industry distribution next year is from existing cash reserves on a punt that'll maybe get some back via "continuing to work on having racefields legislation passed, prior to the election." Can I have a lazy punt on that happening?

Hyperbole abounds.....we are doing "more to control costs,more to distribute additional funding and more to invest for the future"

As an old school teacher once remarked - it's easy to say "more"  so long as you're not comparing yourself with anyone.

I should have become a spin merchant......could do better than the present mob.

2 hours ago, Midget said:

They've got plenty of money to spend $45,000 on taking three tables to the Lions tests though D, just another joke fooling the gullible I'd have thought.

In the great scheme of things, Midget, $45,000 is chickenfeed.

Your model wouldn't allow the industry showing some tangible appreciation of support from its top clients? 

Guest 2Admin2
56 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

Your model wouldn't allow the industry showing some tangible appreciation of support from its top clients? 

According to the NZRB report the big punters didn't leave because of missing dinner.  They left because of an noncompetitive product offering.  That must be true because it is in the Board half-yearly report!

3 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

According to the NZRB report the big punters didn't leave because of missing dinner.  They left because of an noncompetitive product offering.  That must be true because it is in the Board half-yearly report!

Was actually pleased to see them identifying why bigger clients left in this report. To be fair we are not alone, a biggish player in Singapore was telling me at the sales that he now does most of his Singapore betting with Ozzie bookies because of their superior product and prices. Sound familiar when you are talking about Monopolies

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Was actually pleased to see them identifying why bigger clients left in this report. To be fair we are not alone, a biggish player in Singapore was telling me at the sales that he now does most of his Singapore betting with Ozzie bookies because of their superior product and prices. Sound familiar when you are talking about Monopolies

This is exactly our issue Newmarket.  The new FO betting platform will not be ready for 2 years (that is a long time in this day and age), by then more punters will have left.  Your Singapore friend will tell others.  We are playing catch up and playing it too slowly too.  Like locking the gates after the horses have bolted!

6 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

This is exactly our issue Newmarket.  The new FO betting platform will not be ready for 2 years (that is a long time in this day and age), by then more punters will have left.  Your Singapore friend will tell others.  We are playing catch up and playing it too slowly too.  Like locking the gates after the horses have bolted!

Disruptive technologies/innovation are just part and parcel of a productive and growing industry. Today's quiz question  for all cafers out there is describe the last time you saw any innovation from any of the codes or the NZRB.

I,m going to kick it off with an example of what i think was an excellent bit of innovation matched by smart marketing. Christmas at the races, yes i know it was introduced years ago and may well have done its dash but it was innovative at the time and successful.

Whose next???

11 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

I believes ya, 2Admin2, although I put a lot more faith in numbers in an annual report than in words and/or pretty pictures.

But you get my gist, I trust, that a bit of 'tending the garden' (as we call it) to engender good will is no crime...

21 hours ago, Disillusioned said:

There was NO ROI done on this, I asked John Allen directly and he said none was done so how can they justify it and where does it end ?

Why should they throw our money around anyway and who decides who goes to the rugby when their biggest punters aren't even NZ based ?

1 hour ago, Midget said:

There was NO ROI done on this, I asked John Allen directly and he said none was done so how can they justify it and where does it end ?

Why should they throw our money around anyway and who decides who goes to the rugby when their biggest punters aren't even NZ based ?

Touché, Midget!

I make assumptions about NZ Racing officialdom - that they have base competencies, that they plan, that they budget, that they do ROI modelling - that continue to be undermined by cold hard facts, heh heh...

There's an Election coming up in September. Has anyone in Racing said, 'Hey, there's an Election coming up in September. We should get an industry-wide consensus on what would be great for the industry, release that and invite discussion on it by the various parties?' Of course not, so the industry will continue to be taken for granted by whichever party gets control and that party will, effectively, do nothing 'for Racing' because, after all, no-one in the industry seemed to want any change, right?.

Making a loud noise doesn't guarantee success, natch - I switch off when I hear the Teachers (any Unions, really) and the Greenies speaking - but no-one is in any doubt what they think!

I guess we can all look forward to a much more cost effective ship with no TAB bookies trying to copy international odds and yet another app and new web platform. No doubt the cost savings in staff will be offset by a project budget that balloons once we get going. I guess the $6-$12m invested in the previous app and technology platform has been washed through the system and now the novelty has worn off the powers that be need a new project to champion...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11856529

On 5/17/2017 at 5:52 AM, Midget said:

They've got plenty of money to spend $45,000 on taking three tables to the Lions tests though D, just another joke fooling the gullible I'd have thought.

I think you'll find it closer to double that both in cost and number of tables.. there's some important people out there remember. 

58 minutes ago, Wok Belly said:

I guess we can all look forward to a much more cost effective ship with no TAB bookies trying to copy international odds and yet another app and new web platform. No doubt the cost savings in staff will be offset by a project budget that balloons once we get going. I guess the $6-$12m invested in the previous app and technology platform has been washed through the system and now the novelty has worn off the powers that be need a new project to champion...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11856529

Not sure if others have noticed, but the TAB fixed odds for Australian racing now seem to be directly linked to Sportsbet.  I know they always copied their odds, but this now seems to be automated as the NZ TAB prices change immediately when Sportsbet adjust any odds.  It's not a bad thing, but I wonder what they are paying them to get this feed and whether the cost has been offset by getting rid of any of their so-called "bookies" who used to manually copy the Sportsbet odds?