RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mr_gee

Bernard Saundry appointed to key role at NZTR

Mon, 15 May 2017

Twitter
Twitter
Twitter

NZTR
Former Racing Victoria CEO Bernard Saundry has been appointed to head NZ Thoroughbred Racing.

The Board of New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing announced today, after a global search, the appointment of Bernard Saundry as the next NZTR Chief Executive.

"Bernard’s vast knowledge and experience from the creation of Racing.com and negotiating media rights, will be advantageous to New Zealand racing,” said Dr Alan Jackson, Chairman of NZTR. “His proven career in racing administration, club funding, building relationships with the jockey association and trainers and his experience with Country Racing will be invaluable.

“Mr Saundry is arguably one of Australasia’s most experienced racing administrators and has spent the last 14 years in senior roles at Racing Victoria including Racing Development Director, Commercial Director, Chief Operating Officer, and the past four years as Chief Executive Officer. “During Mr Sundry’s tenure, he implemented a digital platform, negotiated broadcast rights, and entered into joint ventures. He was instrumental in developing a shared service model for clubs to create efficiencies, something the Board believes has potential in New Zealand.” 

Dr Jackson added that thoroughbred racing requires strong leadership and Mr Saundry has the energy, experience and enthusiasm to make a material difference to New Zealand racing. He is well placed to build innovation and promote New Zealand racing to international markets.

“I am honoured to be appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of NZ Thoroughbred Racing,” Bernard Saundry said. “Racing in New Zealand is an important contributor on the international racing and breeding stage.

“To work with the Board and staff in leading the future growth of NZ Thoroughbred Racing for all clubs, owners, breeders, trainers, jockeys, stablehands and racing fans is an opportunity I truly appreciate. Importantly the horse must always be a central focus in all our future planning.”

The Hon Michael Duffy, Past Chairman of Racing Victoria and the first Australian to be awarded the Order of New Zealand, ONZ said, "New Zealand is very fortunate to secure someone with Bernard's experience and leadership qualities, his involvement in Australian racing will be missed.”

Bernard Saundry has spent 37 years in racing club administration, with a knowledge of racing, vision and digital second to none. Before his Racing Victoria role he was CEO of Harness Racing Victoria and Western Bulldogs AFL Club. 

Dr Jackson said there was a large number of applicants for the role, which shows the degree of interest in New Zealand thoroughbred racing. Last week four short-listed candidates were interviewed – two of them New Zealanders and two Australian. 

Guest 2Admin2

POKER machine numbers should be boosted at Victorian racecourses and racing clubs be transformed into gambling hubs, the racing industry says.

Former Racing Victoria chief executive Bernard Saundry has called for poker machine limits to be increased from 105 to 250 machines after 2022.

He argued clubs statewide were battling declining revenue and pokies were a “legitimate and successful’’ way for racing clubs to make money.

Absolute joke, no wonder we're the laughing stock of the world.

Pity we haven't got a decent journalist with some guts who'd be brave enough to look at the appointment of both Jackson and Saundry and see if best practice principles were complied with.

As they say " the more things change the more they stay the same " and this us just more of the same .... presumably with the same consequences, that being a further slide toward oblivion.

3 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

POKER machine numbers should be boosted at Victorian racecourses and racing clubs be transformed into gambling hubs, the racing industry says.

Former Racing Victoria chief executive Bernard Saundry has called for poker machine limits to be increased from 105 to 250 machines after 2022.

He argued clubs statewide were battling declining revenue and pokies were a “legitimate and successful’’ way for racing clubs to make money.

The poker machine mentality is a worry. I would have thought a real forward thinker would have rounded up racing jurisdictions worldwide and formed a development company to create the racing equivalent of a poker machine. i.e. streaming live racing 24 hours per day rather than have the TAB inflict that sort of entertainment per Trackside.

Guest 2Admin2
11 minutes ago, Midget said:

Absolute joke, no wonder we're the laughing stock of the world.

Pity we haven't got a decent journalist with some guts who'd be brave enough to look at the appointment of both Jackson and Saundry and see if best practice principles were complied with.

As they say " the more things change the more they stay the same " and this us just more of the same .... presumably with the same consequences, that being a further slide toward oblivion.

Yes but Bernard might have actually raced 90 horses!!!

1 hour ago, mr_gee said:

was  also the  guy that privatized  the  racing    finish  photographers   

Interesting. I see he did something to raceday photography https://rsn.net.au/rv-launches-racing-photos/ but don't see anything to do with photo finish.

I would have thought raceday photography is well served in NZ whereas photo finish should be part of trackside duties.

47 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Interesting. I see he did something to raceday photography https://rsn.net.au/rv-launches-racing-photos/ but don't see anything to do with photo finish.

I would have thought raceday photography is well served in NZ whereas photo finish should be part of trackside duties.

opps   finish  wasnt  spose  to be in there   yes  exactly what  you posted  but will it be after  he finishes 

5 minutes ago, eastern whipbird said:

Have been in touch with a good friend in Melbourne who has been involved with racing all his life in NZ and Aus. He knows Saundry well and speaks very highly of him. Might I suggest that he is given a fair go.

Might I ask why, if he's of any great worth, he hasn't been able to find himself a position of any significance in his homeland ??

1 hour ago, eastern whipbird said:

Have been in touch with a good friend in Melbourne who has been involved with racing all his life in NZ and Aus. He knows Saundry well and speaks very highly of him. Might I suggest that he is given a fair go.

My very good friend who worked with him for a few years says he lacks vision, but is good at cost cutting. A much better CFO than CEO were his words. But lets see.

I don't want to judge the man without really knowing him. Hopefully he can't be any worse than most of those that have preceded him. Victorian racing does seem to operate well. Traditionally it has largely been an administrative role, with the "big picture" stuff being done by the Racing Board. Not done well I admit.

My major concern has always been that no one seems at all interested in getting the basics right: dates, programmes, handicapping, promotions, etc etc. Is this bit just incredibly boring for most people or do they not have the skills? I am quite serious. It does seem to be an area that just doesn't interest anyone. Is it incredibly boring for most people? We do waste so much money and so many opportunities. Hopefully Bernard might be more interested in efficiency that cost-cutting.

Not bagging the person either, because I don't know them but why would someone in their right mind come from there to here?? Unless they are not wanted where they come from or we are paying too much for them to be here??

How is it that after an international search we end up with someone from across the ditch??  Bye the way "open class" too much focus on efficiency and cost cutting has created many of our problems instead on focusing on growing the industry and generating "new" revenue streams.

An shared service model to create efficiencies for clubs seems to be the catch cry.

How independent can they get from the TAB and will the current model of the three codes combined under NZRB be under attack.

He's coming in at the right time.  He'll have heaps of money to play with soon, as soon we will have up to 100,000 different options to bet on with the TAB everyday and that's going to see punters not having to go to overseas agencies and heaps of new punters will be lining up to have a go.  The NZRB will be shoveling money in NZTR's direction and it's all going to be great.

Efficiences doesn't necessarily mean closing down tracks. It means why programme one rating 65 race with 40 nominations and even after splitting it you still end up with 28 horses getting starts and 12 horses being left at home. And of the 28 that get starts half would probably rather race over a slightly different distance if the opportunity was available.

Here's your man.

According to this article he doesn't actually work with the clubs, he doesn't support higher stakes, he spends money on his pet projects at the expense of the wider industry ( that might not be a bad thing though in some instances ), he does sadly support the rotten pokies, he's divisive, he's aligned with Terry Bailey, he was one of the ignorant in charge when when they decided to charge Moody and others with using B Vitamins, and furthermore there's a clear suggestion here that he's misogynistic and accepts the bullying of women.

Now I can see why they appointed him.

Guest 2Admin2
9 hours ago, Bimbo said:

He's coming in at the right time.  He'll have heaps of money to play with soon, as soon we will have up to 100,000 different options to bet on with the TAB everyday and that's going to see punters not having to go to overseas agencies and heaps of new punters will be lining up to have a go.  The NZRB will be shoveling money in NZTR's direction and it's all going to be great.

Nice piss take!

Saundry's despotic and high handed modus operandi will not go down well on this side of the Tasman. His stock response to criticism is " You are not running the show". Hard to see him bringing industry participants together with this type of mindset. One of his legacies in Victoria is the banning of long time race photographers such as the highly respected Kristen Manning from taking Raceday photos. Disgraceful!

Guest 2Admin2

So Saundry quotes "family reasons" for resigning from RV.  So why would you move from Melbourne to Wellington?

12 hours ago, Midget said:

Might I ask why, if he's of any great worth, he hasn't been able to find himself a position of any significance in his homeland ??

Midge, if you use that argument, you should also consider this:

MIght I ask why, if (insert name of any New Zealand Racing administrator) is of any great worth, he hasn't been able to find himself a position of any significance in his homeland??

Your industry has exported great horses, great jockeys and great trainers to the world at large. Has there ever been a similarly-great New Zealand Racing adminstrator?

Guest 2Admin2
2 minutes ago, Disillusioned said:

Midge, if you use that argument, you should also consider this:

MIght I ask why, if (insert name of any New Zealand Racing administrator) is of any great worth, he hasn't been able to find himself a position of any significance in his homeland??

Your industry has exported great horses, great jockeys and great trainers to the world at large. Has there ever been a similarly-great New Zealand Racing adminstrator?

How could we when any up and comers are not given a chance in NZ?