RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

rubber band madness

•  

rubber band standing starts......

It has always been a blight on harness racing that no one seems capable of coming up with a better method of standing starts. some starters allow a walk up as long there are no cheats (horror) but do we even need a tape at all maybe alaser beam so horses think there is something there.  I have watched so much development in our great sport but alas the rubber band comes out and even gets tied t.ogether when it breaks . the noise and feel of the tape often causes breakers.  upsetting drivers/trainers/owners and of course punters. perhaps hrnz could run a competition through universities to find a solution. This has caused hassles for 100 years so a space /computer age  answer should be possible. I for one solve it by not betting on them !

Like the thinking.

I always liked the idea of a laser in football to mark 10m for the wall for free kicks. Then they came up with the simpler idea of a can of foam !

Maybe the laser for the standing starts can somehow trigger an electric shock through the sulky for the driver if the horse breaks the beam...????:ph34r:

the comments here indicates why we have collectively not changedin  100 years !!! lazers are not tazers  and is but 1 thought out of dozens that could be tried  The world of holograms where gates could be created that look real to a horse with better sight than race cafers   is another idea. but I feel leave to a majorcompetition even world wide it will be solved. I got laughed at and ridiculed for forcing this industry to change to a passing lane and now it is accepted countrywide. also in the late 80s to make entrance free to all racececourses which saved money was another initiative. Negatiivity never solved anything but after 70 years the main thing I have learnt don't worry about those that sit back and rip apart any new changes .You simply do not matter !

1 hour ago, john legend said:

the comments here indicates why we have collectively not changedin  100 years !!! lazers are not tazers  and is but 1 thought out of dozens that could be tried  The world of holograms where gates could be created that look real to a horse with better sight than race cafers   is another idea. but I feel leave to a majorcompetition even world wide it will be solved. I got laughed at and ridiculed for forcing this industry to change to a passing lane and now it is accepted countrywide. also in the late 80s to make entrance free to all racececourses which saved money was another initiative. Negatiivity never solved anything but after 70 years the main thing I have learnt don't worry about those that sit back and rip apart any new changes .You simply do not matter !

I reckon you read us wrong Legend - I think only gazza is convinced the tape is the high water mark here.

I'm all for a change - as I was in football as I mentioned , and actually as I would be in rugby where the continual abuse of the offside line drives me nuts  - answer there btw  is chips in the jersey which measure in real time the position of each player in relation to the offside line and if more than 1/2 a metre (metre ?) ahead of it a buzzer goes off for the 4th official who can relay to ref player ex was offside - would be mayhem for a month or two and then watch teams being 11 meters back and the game changing :-)

So go for your brainstorming  !

We have to many gin swiggers in our game so nothing will ever change hope I'm proved wrong one day, I doubt any of them have trained a horse not to mention be  electric tape proof and then in the same breath walk up to a tape when your all fired up horses are not stupid they know workday and raceday , don't give me the crap that you should teach them some just cant handle it that's why some head for the unruly  . Put a marshell on all the 10 meter marks if you are ahead fine the driver wont take long for them to stay behind not rocket science. Have a set of lights Red Orange Green we all use them everyday well some of us do ha ha  

I agree with that Taku,  that will also mean doing away  handy capping, having said that maybe if we all grab a trotter or two we can do it and with more trotters at  Alex Park last week than pacers (i think) and more mobile starts is this telling us something.