RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Pedigree Analysis: Best Way to Evaluate a Hypothetical Mating

I'm wondering what the crew thinks about the various "programmes" around which can be used to assist decision making when it comes to choosing a stallion?

It seems some really only take account of the match-ups of the male line - surely that's only half the story?

Do you have a go-to piece of software which you put some store by? - or do you have a pedigree buff you use as a consultant?

Obviously we all need to give thought to mare type, temperament etc - but that said - what about the analysis of the genetic match?

Really interested to hear the thinking on this as we scan the websites (and our bank balances) and await delivery of the stallion book .......... 

Jess I am assuming you have a mare in mind when asking the question.

At the risk of stirring the pot a bit, why don't you ask Swynford to give his ideas from a genetic point of view  and Berri from a type view point and see what differences in answers you get.

But to answer your question directly I don't think any programmes will give you an answer. They are just tools to help you analyse the data. I think TesioPower is still as good as any. My own views on genetic matches has changed over the years ( back and forth) but I still use TesioPower  to help visualise the patterns.

Hey Jess personally I find that a lot of those programmes only seem to take into account the male line.

I have used a pedigree consultant at a reasonable fee from Australia who has given me a list of 8 stallions that match well with my girl and in order of her preference.

It is then up to me to see what I like conformation wise that suits. I am happy to pm a copy of her report to you so you can see what you get. I also liked that one of her picks included a horse I have previously looked at but I don't really have the knowledge base yet to feel confident to go it alone as it's a lot of $$ to breed and giving the mare her best chance at stud is my first priority.

Although there are no guarantees in this game! :)

Gd replies already! Cheers guys.  Louise - that would be great if you didn't mind ....

Rgds, Jess

PS: have been away fm cafe for a long time - felt burned by some of the bitching but most of all, the bullying and arrogance from certain dominant characters on here -  so just dipping my toes back in.  Have in the past really enjoyed the contributions of many here however .. will see how we go I guess  ... :P

Hello Jess,

Selecting a suitable stallion to match a broodmare to produce a quality racehorse is difficult in the extreme.

A more successful method may be to analyse a stallions best progeny, identify the line or lines he is strongest too and source a broodmare to suit.

A lot of work yes, but if you are going to invest 3 to4 years of your time and money it may prove worthwhile.

The earlier post on this site Street Cry - et al illustrates this principle, to the point that it will come as a surprise if a horse of some ability by either Per Incanto or Shocking emerges that is not linebred as described.

Good luck with your endeavours.