RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

New Minister for Racing

2 minutes ago, MrBigStuff said:

Hamilton East MP David Bennett, outside of cabinet.

Also looks after veterans affairs, food safety, Assoc primary industries 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/91864695/live-cabinet-reshuffle-at-1pm

Make that Minister For Racing.

And his racing background is...........?

Outside of cabinet also, so what effect will this have on the proposed bill re race field legislations etc ?

Very positive things to massage are the fact that he loves sport and appears to be heterosexual--eroding qualities that should be applauded. Absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the Arts or being homosexual but they need to be reported on relative to their minority status ,not dominating the News.

7 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Make that Minister For Racing.

And his racing background is...........?

Outside of cabinet also, so what effect will this have on the proposed bill re race field legislations etc ?

Who are the alternatives with a racing background in the national party?

11 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Lets give the bloke a chance.  He could not possibly be worse than the last one.  If he is not silly enough to let his officials pull the wool over his eyes it will be a start.

New Racing Minister - best news in months

Agree Tom. The problem is he is not even in Cabinet so the ability to influence change is limited....Guy was and achieved nothing. I doubt Allen and Hughes are losing sleep over it.

17 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Agree Tom. The problem is he is not even in Cabinet so the ability to influence change is limited....Guy was and achieved nothing. I doubt Allen and Hughes are losing sleep over it.

yes we can only hope he can make a difference.  Certainly if the guy takes an active interest, maybe heads out to Matamata or Te Rapa one morning or to the Dargaville races he might actually talk to some of the grass roots and get a feel for the game.  Instead of soaking up the hospitality at Karak Million night or Karaka Sales, NZ Cup day or whatever. Those days are great times for NZ racing but not reflective of the everyday grind for stakeholders.

In other news I see his predecessor has now got civil defence so if disaster strikes you people you are on your own and in deep poop! 

Any idea why we actually need a Minister for Racing? After all, we don't have a minister for Rugby, or Cricket, or Beer.

I know we have the Racing Act, but that is really focussed on the gaming side of things these days. Hard to imagine the industry would be any worse off without a mInister.

Hopefully this will mean the ridiculous Race Fields Legislation will be scrapped as if this bloke has half a brain he won't want that piece of shit Act to be his first as Racing Minister. Hopefully he's also his own man not Glenda and Postman Pat's lapdog like the last clown. Hope springs eternal.

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

TTOM, I don't think the recovery will be lead by Dargaville ! :)

The point was he needs  to get to the grass roots to find out what is going on.   He will learn a lot more about the industry reality in Dargaville than on Karaka Million night.

I've been to Dargaville races Puha. My point was as put. The recovery can only come from having a Racing Board that has an acute understanding of the problems/challenges facing the Racing Industry, has a good working relationship with the Racing Minister, and has the right strategy to progress and strengthen/enrich the Industry from the Grass roots to the top. The CEO can only do what aligns with the Board Strategy. 

38 minutes ago, Trump said:

I've been to Dargaville races Puha. My point was as put. The recovery can only come from having a Racing Board that has an acute understanding of the problems/challenges facing the Racing Industry, has a good working relationship with the Racing Minister, and has the right strategy to progress and strengthen/enrich the Industry from the Grass roots to the top. The CEO can only do what aligns with the Board Strategy. 

The Minister needs to be much more "involved" with the Industry, the Boards and what is going on in general Trumpy..and that is not what has been happening in recent times....Winnie excepted perhaps.

Someone with a bit of Racing/Ownership experience as Bennett appears to have can only be positive as he should understand the machinations of the industry and problems we all face, and might not simply accept what he is being told.

Having the bollocks to take drastic measures where they are clearly needed is another matter altogether however.....:rolleyes:

David Bennett has been MP for Hamilton East for many years and is likely to retain his seat at this year's elections.

He is a dairy farmer and I am aware that he has attended Racing events in Hamilton. I hope that he does a good job in this important portfolio.