RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
craigosz

Crowds & racing from yesteryear

Sorry Flagship, but passing lanes are a necessity!

Nothing worth than having a punt and not getting a run.

Nowadays there is not a lot between most horses in the field and if you are in the trail or on the fence you won't get a run.

No passing lane and the bigger investors won't bother!

59 minutes ago, Brodie said:

This is not correct Brodie. As Globe has alluded to there is no passing lane at GP Perth. You will notice that horses with no form and been long in the markets when drawn the pole or even close in if they have gate speed are smashed into odds on. It is not the dollar bettor who does this. It is the bigger punters who know if the horse gets to the front will be very hard to beat as NO passing lane to worry about. They back with confidence  and more than often collect big time. Menangle is another track with no passing lane and I am sure there are big investors who punt there.

Saying that I am in favour of passing lanes and enjoy seeing  horse spread across the track up the straight where most get a chance if good enough It is just that your statement is incorrect. The big punters adjust their strategy to  how each track works. Just as you and others wont bet on tracks with no passing late there are as many who will only bet on such tracks. The odds might be shorter but the winners are more likely. 

Each punter to their own but dont decry other successful tracks because they dont fit into your punting strategy

Harewood, yes there will be big punters that will gamble on tracks in Australia, as the Ozzies will gamble on anything.

I don't think that there are any tracks InNZLeft without a passing lane, thank goodness!

If big punters are prepared to gamble on the fact that their horse will lead and won't be beaten by a horse in the trail if there is no passing lane, then good on them.

Personally beleive that it is a risk in the fact that if they are worried about being beaten by something that trails them then it is a risky bet that they have to lead to win?

Leave me out of any track that does not give a horse  a run if they are good enough to get into the trail!

You are missing Harewoods point Brodie. The big punters are ( at GP anyway), not risking anything ,they have factored in the permutations and usually they get to the lead because they know they will. That takes the trailing horse out of play leaving a parked (not very likely at GP) or a swooper to .get up.  I have experienced this at GP during the Inters. Piccadily Princess was a moral beaten in the trail when my friend and I had stuck a reasonable wager on her. Being more animated than Paul, he knows what my reaction was. Should have known as the winner had blistering gate speed, while not being a better horse. Game over.

Good on you Graigosx for sharing these videos.

I had already seen the restored 1953 NZ cup video prior and was going to share a link myself  - but never got around to it.

What remarkable footage. I wish there was more video of that quality available.

As for the crowd... well it just is what it is.  1953 - what else was there to do in those days?

The first TV broadcast, of any form, was still 7 years away.  TV didn't start in NZ 'til 1960!

Give a few years for things to gain momentum, and a few more for developments in broadcasting and who knows when the first actual live televised horse race was?

I'm sure there are boffins out there who will know. I doubt there was off-course betting back then.

Look at the fashion as well - goodness me! There are actually some men without hats! (a minority though)

Although, it is easy to yearn for crowds of that size today, given the poor attendance at most race meetings these days, its also worth noting that crowds of that size are physically uncomfortable to be part of - especially in warmer weather. I guess there is an optimum attendance that creates the perfect balance of atmosphere and comfort.

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Sorry Flagship, but passing lanes are a necessity!

Nothing worth than having a punt and not getting a run.

Nowadays there is not a lot between most horses in the field and if you are in the trail or on the fence you won't get a run.

Wow Brodie i cant brlieve you said that.I think passing lanes  benefit drivers who cant rate pace.Make poor horses look good.You say u hate races that Purdons have multiple runners because they dominate.That only becsuse they know if they lead trail they got 2 chances of winning.

59 minutes ago, richie said:

Wow Brodie i cant brlieve you said that.I think passing lanes  benefit drivers who cant rate pace.Make poor horses look good.You say u hate races that Purdons have multiple runners because they dominate.That only becsuse they know if they lead trail they got 2 chances of winning.

Richie, I don't beleive that Imhave said that I hate races that the AllStars Stable have multiple runners at all.

What Imhave said is that they are races that I won't invest on and that they are not beneficial for racing!

Dont agree at all with your comment regarding passing lanes benefiting drivers who can't rate pace!!!!!!

A good driver will know whether their horse likes to lead or trail!

People talk about what horse is the best you've seen whether best looking or just a special horse.

I've been lucky too see a lot of great horses in the flesh but for me the best looking horse I ever saw on harness track was Preux Chevalier.

i don't know if it is just me or my mind playing games but I can strongly remember a Auckland cup when I was a bit younger.

run during the day time.. I made it to alex park just in time to get a bet on and watch the cup,

it was the year alaksam  (not correct spelling sorry) and I was thinking, gee poor horse, that driver looks really huge in that

bike... (colin mcL) but the crowd was huge as well. it was the days when talex park had 2 sides to it..we called them the rich bastards 

and poor bastards.. separated by a tall wire fence..  the crowd was big on both sides. the poor end . and were I was people were lined all the way to home straight corner.

we  use to park in large car park were we use to for the easter show and walk  a log the path to a booth that let us into the poor area,

think if you wanted to go into the other (rich ) area you had to pay again some one will remember better than myself..

but when you think about that day and the crowds and look at cups   run  at night now.. the crowds just are not there...

too cold for many, to late  for most to go out at night.. is not a cheap night out any more.  don't get me wrong I would still    enjoy a cup night

funny thing was you could go to Cambridge and   the old Hamilton track and the crowds , although not as big as Auckland, were quite a good size, and the people, both public and harness racing people.. great, and real friendly. I guess those that attend these days .. are   a different  breed. such have times changed.

well that's my  dribble for the day..  never visited south island in those days so really can not comment other than radio   broadcasts were you could hear the people in the crowd just buzzing during the race.

bloody hell time flies... I must've been their with my mother and father...

would've been to young to drive ..  yes that would be about right.. they still have $0,50 doubles, and jackpots in those days..thats why they could draw the crowds ..

use to be  a cheap days entertainment... free entry, boot load of picnic hampers.. ice cold beer.. real great fun..no collar and tie  bullshit to the stands, unless you were in that area.

12 minutes ago, final luca said:

bloody hell time flies... I must've been their with my mother and father...

would've been to young to drive ..  yes that would be about right.. they still have $0,50 doubles, and jackpots in those days..thats why they could draw the crowds ..

use to be  a cheap days entertainment... free entry, boot load of picnic hampers.. ice cold beer.. real great fun..no collar and tie  bullshit to the stands, unless you were in that area.

Yep, good times . I was 14  and a regular at Hutt Park with my Mum. And just as well they had 50 cent doubles, its all one could afford back then. Until they glassed in the front of the stand at Hutt park it was usually cold and wet . It was on Maori land and rumor had it they had put some sort of tapu on it to invoke the weather gods.

Crying shame to see the track s demise after some memorable history and top racing.